PDA

View Full Version : Ladders. Louisville\Davidson vs. Werner

Dave Lehnert
05-19-2010, 7:26 PM
Looking to buy a fiberglass extension ladder. Sears Hardware has a good price on a Davidson\Louisville brand ladder. They look to be the same build quality as a Werner. Any opinions or something I may not know about each brand?

Jim Finn
05-19-2010, 9:00 PM
I am not sure of the brand but when I worked in construction all we used were the orange ones.

Tom Godley
05-19-2010, 10:15 PM
I have Werner and Louisville -- plus a few others. Most of the new ladders I see are now made in Mexico.

Louisville always made a good product -- the one I purchased last year is very nice. I think it is marginally better than the Werner of the same class.

IMO buying a higher weight class is more important than the manufacturer. The entry level ladders you see in the big box stores flex too much for me.I always go for the next higher weight class - they are safer IMO.

Rod Sheridan
05-20-2010, 8:45 AM
I agree with Tom, at work we standardized on Werner fibreglass ladders in the 1A weight rating.

Always buy the highest weight rating ladder, once you put a 70Kg person on a ladder pushing or pulling on something, or carrying a motor or other equipment, the weight adds up.

Regards, Rod.

David Thompson 27577
05-20-2010, 2:10 PM
As Tom and Rod have noted -- the weight rating is more important than the brand.

And the 1A rating is the one you want.