PDA

View Full Version : Any Wadkin tablesaw experts here?

Jeff Duncan
05-19-2010, 6:00 PM
I just picked up a nice 12" Wadkin tablesaw and am looking for any info I can get on it. I found one thread that's about 4 years old but not too much info. It's in great shape so I don't really need any repair parts. However I'm trying to find out if it's possible to attach a riving knife on it, and if they're still available anywhere? I sent out a couple e-mails to places that carry Wadkin parts but haven't heard anything back yet....guessing I might not:(

thanks,
JeffD

Gary Herrmann
05-19-2010, 7:09 PM
Have you tried www.owwm.org ?

Vijay Kumar
05-19-2010, 9:45 PM
I just picked up a nice 12" Wadkin tablesaw and am looking for any info I can get on it. I found one thread that's about 4 years old but not too much info. It's in great shape so I don't really need any repair parts. However I'm trying to find out if it's possible to attach a riving knife on it, and if they're still available anywhere? I sent out a couple e-mails to places that carry Wadkin parts but haven't heard anything back yet....guessing I might not:

thanks,
JeffD

I too have a 12 inch Wadkin, and I also would like to know the answer to the question.. There has been one post on the Wadkin regarding blade retraction here on the Creek http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=129814.
If you do find an answer I would appreciate a post here.

Thanks

Vijay

Niels J. Larsen
05-20-2010, 8:37 AM
I don't know what model you own, but I am the happy owner of a 10" AGS Wadkin saw.

My saw did have an original riving knife, but I decided to replace it with a new one from Felder including a transparent overhead guard with dust extraction port.

If you don't already own a user manual for your saw, you should be able to find it on www.wadkin.com under technical support.

Hope it helps a little bit :-)

Another suggestion would be to PM Phil Pritchard - another member here.
He helped me out when I bought my saw and seems to have extensive knowledge about the Wadkin brand.

Jeff Duncan
05-20-2010, 3:09 PM
Thanks guys,
I have also posted at OWWM as those guys are always good for helpful advice. But figured I couldn't go wrong widening the audience;)

Niels, when you say you replaced it do you mean with another riving knife or with a splitter? I have the 12AGS and the arbor housing is machined to accept a riving knife. I'm just surprised Felder would have one that happens to fit?

Jeff

Niels J. Larsen
05-20-2010, 3:20 PM
I replaced the original riving knife with a brand new splitter (not really sure about the difference between a riving knife and a splitter) from Felder which also accepts an overhead guard.

You can find it on Felder's website under accessories, machine accessories, table saw accessories. It's called EURO Splitter and Felder Saw Guard respectively.

The guard is easily removed from the splitter with the thumbscrew if you need to (although I've never needed to).

Chris Parks
05-20-2010, 6:58 PM
As an aside to to the original question, is Wadkin and Wadkin Bursgreen the same company?

Jeff Duncan
05-20-2010, 9:08 PM
Niels, basically a riving knife raises and lowers with the blade. The advantage being you can make non-through cuts and never have to remove it.
The splitter on the other hand usually remains stationary and must be removed for non-though cuts.
I have a quick detach splitter I think Beisemeyer made and it's OK. Although I haven't personally used a riving knife I do like the concept. I'll have to take a look at the website and check it out.

Chris, the short answer is yes. There is a post from about 4 years ago if you search Wadkin tablesaw, that details a bit if the history of the merger with Bursgreen. But they are the same company similar to Delta, Rockwell are the same.

Jeff

Niels J. Larsen
05-21-2010, 1:37 AM
Well, then it's not a splitter, but a riving knife I have as it moves up and down with the arbor.

Don't know how your saw is configured though.