PDA

View Full Version : The Nano Revolution has begun!

George Guadiane
05-19-2010, 5:24 PM
Steve Sherman is developing this hollowing setup for close work on small pieces. He's calling it "The Nano Revolution," and I've got to say, the tools match the name. I'm the "turning thug," I usually stress tools to the max. This evaluation is no exception. I haven't spoken to Steve yet, and there is a good chance that you are reading this before him.
The cocobolo piece I just finished is probably as big as one could safely turn., maybe a little taller and narrower, but that will be pushing it.
My initial observation was that for my big fat hands, the knob on the end of the handle/grip was a little awkward, so Steve turned off the knob... Better for me.
The only other "negative" for me is that I keep running the offset hollower too hot which causes the super glued tip to come out. Here again, I'm AGGRESSIVE. I'm imagining that I would have the same kind of issues using the larger Elsworth tools with the glued in tips... This might be resolved (for me) with a little set screw to hold the tip in place.

Now, the GOOD stuff:
The tool steel stays sharp for a long time and the adjustable length makes it pretty easy to have enough handle behind the tool rest to give excellent tool control.
So far, I have a straight and offset (Elsworth type) cutter/hollower set, a double ended Bedan/beading tool that works well. I like the beading end, I used it to form the bottom of this piece.
AND (I have to say) my favorite a round cutter/scraper that could smooth just about anything.

These are not all of the available tools, just the ones that I was given to test so far. As more roll out, I'm sure I'll get a chance to test them.

For small stuff, boxes, ornaments, small hollow forms and the like, these are easy to handle and work VERY well at the jobs they were designed for.
For me, there was practically no learning curve, the only "problem" that I had was making the bottom a bit too thin.

You will notice that the HF rim tapers in a bit, that gave me just a little more clearance so that I could hollow out further.
I welcome questions as this is the first tool that anyone has given me to evaluate, and I'm sure that I am leaving out pertinent information.

The hollow form is 3 3/4 inches in diameter by 1 3/4 inches high.
Sanded to 2000 and photographed.
As Always, All Questions, Comments and Critiques welcome.

Alan Zenreich
05-19-2010, 5:39 PM
Thanks for the post. I'm looking into trying some small item hollowing, so your message is timely.

Are these tools available? How can I get some more information?

Van Huskey
05-19-2010, 7:39 PM
I am not a turner but just wanted to say that is a REALLY cool hollow form!

Cathy Schaewe
05-19-2010, 9:03 PM
That is absolutely gorgeous!

George Guadiane
05-23-2010, 12:30 PM
Thank you for liking the resultant turning!

Thanks for the post. I'm looking into trying some small item hollowing, so your message is timely.

Are these tools available? How can I get some more information?

Spent most of the day with Steve and 20+ other guys from our area, doing the "Hollowing on the Hoosic" get together. I had a chance to ask a few questions and get some updates.
It turns out, that I got the very earliest version of the tool.
The glue for the cutter bits has been replaced - I got a newer replacement, I'll let you know what my findings are.

We spent the day turning, and Steve and I got the chance to work the tools and show off a bit. We were part of a challenge, and as many know, I don't normally turn much tiny stuff (what this tool was really designed for), so Ken Evans selected a couple of TWIGS for Steve and I to turn as a team... Of course, we sued the Nano... And so did a number of other people, meeting with surprised success.
Keep in mind, Steve is still developing the tools so I'm sure that there will continue to be changes, but not much in the way of significant improvements. The Nano Revolution is at the point where there will be a larger variety of tested and approved tools/cutters, the handles and overall function is VERY solid.

If you're interested, Steve told me that Warren Cutlery in Rhinebeck, NY will be involved in the manufacture and distribution (845) 876-3444.

These are the two pieces I did at the day long, fast and dirty and I tried to go THIN too fast (still not REALLY used to the tool) we were on the clock, and I wanted to get them done - one GOOD one would have been better, in retrospect.

I have no financial interest in this tool or affiliate individuals or companies, I am merely reporting on the tool because I was asked to take the tool out for a spin. Fortunately for them I really like it.

Steve Sherman
06-26-2010, 2:07 PM
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the exciting feedback, Jim from Warren & I are having a ball with this system and we're getting great feedback. It is expanding as we speak.
Just put up the preliminary website and have gotten some real neat comments. The folks who have been Beta testing the system are very generous with their praise.

Many thanks,...Steve

Alan Zenreich
06-26-2010, 3:18 PM
Steve,

Can you please send a private message to me with the url of the website?

Thanks
Alan Z.

Frank Van Atta
06-26-2010, 3:18 PM
I have been making turnings in this size and smaller from exotic hardwoods for better than 10 years using standard mini-gouges and hollowing tools made from screwdrivers and cut nails. Any commercial system that I would buy would have to offer significant improvement over what I'm using and be in a reasonable price range - anything over $30 to $50 I probably wouldn't consider.

Just my take . . .

Michael James
06-26-2010, 11:21 PM
My bad, wasn't thinking..... new tool.....!
My apologies to all.

I'd be interested in more details. Please PM me as they become available.
thanks.
mj

John Keeton
06-27-2010, 6:50 AM
I'd be interested in more details, including cost, as they become available.
Please repost when you have that info.
thanks.
mjMichael, please understand that Steve is prohibited by the TOS from posting the information you are seeking. PM him if you desire more information.

The review by George provided some valuable information for other members, but with the followup information, and the post from Steve, the thread is getting a little too commercial. Let's just keep it informative.

Thanks.

Posts made by Members with direct commercial affiliation, and with the apparent intent of using SawMill Creek for the sole purpose of promoting a product or service will be subject to removal. Members with direct commercial affiliation are defined to be those Members who stand to benefit financially from such a promotion.

...links for the sole purpose of marketing, generating traffic to a site, or any other commercial advertisement deemed to solicit commercial benefit are not allowed.

George Guadiane
06-27-2010, 12:36 PM
Michael, please understand that Steve is prohibited by the TOS from posting the information you are seeking. PM him if you desire more information.

The review by George provided some valuable information for other members, but with the followup information, and the post from Steve, the thread is getting a little too commercial. Let's just keep it informative.

Thanks.

Posts made by Members with direct commercial affiliation, and with the apparent intent of using SawMill Creek for the sole purpose of promoting a product or service will be subject to removal. Members with direct commercial affiliation are defined to be those Members who stand to benefit financially from such a promotion.

...links for the sole purpose of marketing, generating traffic to a site, or any other commercial advertisement deemed to solicit commercial benefit are not allowed.

Thank you John, I was about to bring this up myself. I spoke with Steve after he posted and told him about the rules. He was very understanding and a little embarrassed. He told me that he would be happy to delete his post and or take whatever other measures if any deemed fitting.
G

Bob Wolfe
06-27-2010, 12:50 PM
Hey George, Nice looking tools there, what are the dimensions of those hollowing tools? Not the cutting tips, but the tool shanks. They look pretty substantial for doing small work. Thanks in advance.

Bob

John Keeton
06-27-2010, 1:02 PM
Thank you John, I was about to bring this up myself. I spoke with Steve after he posted and told him about the rules. He was very understanding and a little embarrassed. He told me that he would be happy to delete his post and or take whatever other measures if any deemed fitting.
GThanks, George, but I think we are OK at this point. An exchange of thoughts and ideas about new products among creekers is very helpful and encouraged. I just don't want to get an exchange going here between the manufacturer and members.

I think answering Bob's query is appropriate.

Leo Van Der Loo
06-27-2010, 3:05 PM
I have been making turnings in this size and smaller from exotic hardwoods for better than 10 years using standard mini-gouges and hollowing tools made from screwdrivers and cut nails. Any commercial system that I would buy would have to offer significant improvement over what I'm using
/snip//snip/

Just my take . . .

I certainly agree with Frank here, as I have made a bunch of small to very small turnings, and used some regular tools, but mostly small home-made tools.

My findings would be that for very small hollow turnings with narrow openings you almost need a special tool for each and every one.

I also have never liked the straight shaft tool with the cutter sticking out on an angle, and I always put a bent in the shaft (swan-neck) so the cutting tip is in line with the shaft, the straight shafted tool always torques and just makes it harder to control cutting, just something I don't like to deal with while paying attention to other aspects of the process of hollowing the pieces.

I'll add a couple of pictures here that show some of those small turnings like 3 on a dime, also shown in the mini platter for size relation, and some small tools I made and use, you'll see they are not fancy tools, but they work and are easily made, sharpened and changed, and cost but pennies for concrete nails and with a high cost of $1.-- for the 6" Chrome Vanadium screwdriver tips I used.

154437 154438

154439 154440

George Guadiane
06-27-2010, 6:19 PM
Hey George, Nice looking tools there, what are the dimensions of those hollowing tools? Not the cutting tips, but the tool shanks. They look pretty substantial for doing small work. Thanks in advance.

Bob
Bob,
The shanks are 1/4 inch square. As a beta tester, I managed to bend one of the shanks (I think I said some were that I'm a "turning thug." The issue was that the shank was too long That was an easy fix. The shank size is good for some of the various cutters they are working on, including beading tools that I have used and really like. I have always pushed the limits, I use the Monster hollowing rig on pieces 30%+ larger than others say they are able to do with the same tool. I figured I would be able to do that with any tool... Nope!

Working on really hard wood, the steel is very beneficial.
G

Bob Wolfe
06-28-2010, 11:05 AM
Bob,
The shanks are 1/4 inch square. As a beta tester, I managed to bend one of the shanks (I think I said some were that I'm a "turning thug." The issue was that the shank was too long That was an easy fix. The shank size is good for some of the various cutters they are working on, including beading tools that I have used and really like. I have always pushed the limits, I use the Monster hollowing rig on pieces 30%+ larger than others say they are able to do with the same tool. I figured I would be able to do that with any tool... Nope!

Working on really hard wood, the steel is very beneficial.
G

Thanks George, I was going to ask about the durability of the 1/4" shank but you beat me to it. I get aggressive with the hollowing too, I guess it's just the impatient nature of a woodturner. I built an anticulated system, with 5/8" and 1/2" straight shanks for boring bars. The system works, but the large and straight bars don't allow for much of an inside curve near the top or a small opening. I have been playing with some bent bars but have not found one that really suits my needs. I guess I need to consider making smaller diameter boring bars too for small forms.