PDA

View Full Version : Doug Thompson Tools

Andy Pogue
05-19-2010, 5:07 PM
Just got my order. WOW! haven't used it yet but what service! Just like a business should be run. He was super accomodating and got my order out when promised. Recommend highly.

Thom Sturgill
05-19-2010, 6:15 PM
Wait till you use them! I had to try mine before I even got handles on them!.

alex carey
05-19-2010, 6:58 PM
congratz, all i here are good things, one day when I have the money to spare or my main gouge goes out ill get one of those.

Ryan Baker
05-19-2010, 7:54 PM

I seem to remember using mine before being handled as well. :)

You are going to love using them. Which reminds me that I was about to go order some more...

Cathy Schaewe
05-19-2010, 8:22 PM
You can't beat them - I was just thinking of selling my inferior bowl gouges, because I can't even stand to pick them up after using the Thompsons.

John Keeton
05-19-2010, 8:27 PM
You can't beat them - I was just thinking of selling my inferior bowl gouges, because I can't even stand to pick them up after using the Thompsons.Cathy, you have been sucked in deeper than I thought!!!!:D

I love my Thompsons - my bowl gouge, 3 detail gouges, my spindle gouge, and all the ones I don't yet own!

Cathy Schaewe
05-19-2010, 8:30 PM
Cathy, you have been sucked in deeper than I thought!!!!:D

I love my Thompsons - my bowl gouge, 3 detail gouges, my spindle gouge, and all the ones I don't yet own!

John- there's no doubt about it. I had a break today, and found myself researching the difference between the nova dvr and the jet 1642 evs! I think I've lost my mind!:eek:

Bernie Weishapl
05-19-2010, 10:17 PM
Congrats on your tools. If you think they look good wait till ya use them.

Jake Helmboldt
05-19-2010, 10:53 PM
John- there's no doubt about it. I had a break today, and found myself researching the difference between the nova dvr and the jet 1642 evs! I think I've lost my mind!:eek:

Been there, done that. Drove myself nuts. Glad to have it behind me. :D

Ted Evans
05-19-2010, 10:54 PM
Congratulations on the Thompson Andy, however, a word of warning. I am new to turning but after reading the comments from people in this group, I purchased a Thompson 5/8" bowl gouge, I now have 11 of his tools. Excellent quality and very reasonable in my mind.

Jarrett Sadowsky
05-20-2010, 12:16 AM
I started using mine without handles as well. In fact I used them to make their handles.

Mike Minto
05-20-2010, 9:50 AM

Cathy, don't know what your particular turning needs are, but I had a Nova 1624-44 and upgraded to the Jet 1642 - less expensive than a DVR, and heavier duty - I like a speed adjustment knob, too, rather than soft-touch buttons. Just a comment.

Cathy Schaewe
05-20-2010, 10:54 AM
Congratulations on the Thompson Andy, however, a word of warning. I am new to turning but after reading the comments from people in this group, I purchased a Thompson 5/8" bowl gouge, I now have 11 of his tools. Excellent quality and very reasonable in my mind.

11! Stealth gloat!!!

Phil Warnement
05-23-2010, 11:09 PM
Just out of curiosity, how do you use the tools without the handles to make the handles?

Jarrett Sadowsky
05-23-2010, 11:23 PM
I was nervous at first, but holding them firmly and making light cuts, it seamed safe.

Jarrett

jason lambert
05-24-2010, 10:14 AM
Congrats on the tools, best out there for the price and a great guy.

Jim Maxwell
05-25-2010, 6:49 AM
Thompson tools have even penetrated Australia. We have some pretty tough timbers here and these tools stand up well.
Jim

ron hossack
05-26-2010, 4:04 PM
I still haven't made a handle for my spindle gouge ... very comfortable in your hansd :eek:

Roland Martin
05-26-2010, 5:06 PM
Congrats Andy, from what I hear, Doug's tooling is hard to beat. I ordered my first one and received it last week (still haven't tried it yet:() I plan on ordering a second or third very shortly!