PDA

View Full Version : Porter Cable Router Runout

jeff phillips
05-19-2010, 4:12 PM
I'm having some trouble with my Porter Cable routers, and since I'm not very knowledgable about router mechanics, I'm hoping someone here can give me some pointers.

I currently own 2 porter cable routers, a 690 and an 890, both work well with smaller bits, but when I use a long bit, it seems that there is visible runout in the bit. I have two 2" long flush trim bits, one is a 3/4" Frued shear flush trim bit, and the other is a whiteside 1/2" spiral upcut bit.

I've used the bits several times; however, this last weekend, when I went from a short bit to a long bit, it occured to me there was a significant inrease in vibration going from the 1" flush trim to the 2". I tried both 2" bits in both routers, and with both, it appears that the tip of the bit has a "wobble" in that it doesn't spin perfectly true.

I also tried this in a second PC890, and saw the same thing, and it has been tried with 2 different collets as well. Is this just inherent in the router design? Is there anything I can do to fix it?

george wilson
05-19-2010, 4:38 PM
Get a better router. I used PC routers for a long time. Bosch routers are better.

I test router's bearings by letting them get up to top speed,then turning them off. As the router comes to a stop,you will hear a bit of rattling. The Bosch rattles less than the PC. Showing better bearings.

Simon Dupay
05-19-2010, 6:51 PM
How does it cut? also the shanks could be bent.

jeff phillips
05-19-2010, 10:06 PM
Both routers seem to cut fine, but there is just a lot of vibration, and it can be felt as the bearings on the flush trim ride against the stationary template surface. I am positive the shanks are not bent as both bits are 1/2 shank bits, and the frued is brand new.

If the problem is just inherent in the routers, can someone offer a suggestion on a solid plunge router in the 1.75-2.25hp bracket. I'd like to not have to purchase a festool, but if that is what is required, then so be it.

Van Huskey
05-19-2010, 10:15 PM
Both routers seem to cut fine, but there is just a lot of vibration, and it can be felt as the bearings on the flush trim ride against the stationary template surface. I am positive the shanks are not bent as both bits are 1/2 shank bits, and the frued is brand new.

If the problem is just inherent in the routers, can someone offer a suggestion on a solid plunge router in the 1.75-2.25hp bracket. I'd like to not have to purchase a festool, but if that is what is required, then so be it.

Plenty of good routers out there in fact both the ones you have are generally excellent.

Dewalt DW621 for a plunge in HP range.

Simon Dupay
05-19-2010, 11:33 PM

Just because it's a 1/2" doesn't mean it can't be bent check it by rolling it on a flat surface. also check the bearings in the routers for play.

pat warner
05-19-2010, 11:41 PM
Not surprised you're having trouble.
2" of flute and an 1" or so of shank is way too long of a tool for most routers.
Way too much cutter extension in your face and vibration is always expected.
Slow speeds (RPM) will remedy a lot of the resonance.
And repositioning the cutter to find its sweet spot is also possible, (Shank projection and the actual rotation of the cutter in the collet).
Nonetheless, these are unsafe tools at any speed.
Routers are trimmers not hoggers or shapers.

Tom Esh
05-20-2010, 12:23 AM
Betcha' the collets (both of 'em) are the culprit. They certainly are on my 890's. I measured less than .0005 on the shaft, but anywhere from .001-.004 with a length of drill rod in the collet. Fortunately most bits aren't perfect either, so as Pat noted, you can usually just rotate the bit to minimize it.