PDA

View Full Version : First Project Posting

Jim Parmeter
05-19-2010, 3:10 PM
Hello Everyone - I have not posted a project before and thought this was a good opportunity. I recently finished the attached cradle for our nephew and his wife for their first child. I used some wide cherry (11"+) that I have had for a long time for the end panels. The design was based on the combination of a couple of different plans I have seen and the dimensions were sized around a 15x33 mattress that we found on the web. The other standard size is 18x36 but I preferred the smaller cradle. Because I will most likely do more of these (big family) I did do a simple cutlist spread sheet that I would be happy to share if anyone is interested.

Joinery consisted of a various types of mortise and tenon. The slats were mortised into the rails and the rails were attached to the panels with through tenons (rounded) with a maple wedge. The legs were mortised and pegged into the feet. We had to transport the cradle from Charlotte to Pittsburgh so I opted for a knock-down design on the base, attaching the stretcher to the legs with tusk tenons.

For the finish I used BLO and clear shellac (zinser). I thought about putting a couple of coats of wiping varnish as a top coat but I did not want the smell. Because of the flash, the picture is little lighter than the actual piece.

I do enjoy looking at all of the projects posted as they are a good source of ideas/inspiration, so I thought it was only fair that I finally post something. Also, doing this project got me to go through my stack of cherry (which I have had for more than 10 years) and started me thinking about a new kitchen table that my wife has been asking for. Need to finish a couple of stickley style wall shelves first, which I will post when complete.

Thanks for looking and any questions and critiques are appreciated.

Joe Shinall
05-19-2010, 5:12 PM
Looks great Jim. I am about to start on one myself that's a little larger for my sister in law who is expecting in 7 months. Trying to do it as close to a full size crib as I can get away with so it will double as crib/cradle. How long did it take you?

Jim Parmeter
05-19-2010, 5:40 PM
Hi Joe - you could be right about the size. I am hoping that they will get 4-6 months out of it. As far as the time, it took me about 8 weeks on weekends and a few weeknights. I am thinking that I could the next one in about half the time since I have made all of the design decisions. Because I used BLO and shellac, I was able to do the entire finishing schedule in one day, which was nice. Good luck.

Walt Blanding
05-19-2010, 6:14 PM
Jim, looks great, yes if you could post the cut list that would be great. Dont need one right now but I am sure (hoping) in the future I will. Thanks

Shawn Christ
05-19-2010, 9:17 PM
Jim, looks great & well done. It's always great to see projects like this for a first-born child. Too bad babies grow so fast, but they will treasure this for a long time.

Bruce Page
05-19-2010, 9:34 PM
Beautiful work Jim, a future heirloom.

Rick Gifford
05-19-2010, 9:34 PM
I like it. Great job!

glenn bradley
05-19-2010, 9:59 PM
Great stuff. A treasured hand-me-down for your kids, kids, kids.

John Keeton
05-20-2010, 7:10 PM
Nice work, Jim. Some beautiful cherry, and great job on the joinery!

Van Huskey
05-20-2010, 10:06 PM
Very very nice. Wll be cherished I am sure.

Dave Gaul
05-21-2010, 9:46 AM
I really like it... nice craftsman style with a more modern look to it..