PDA

View Full Version : Another knowledgable HD associate

Roger Newby
05-19-2010, 2:10 PM
Went to the Orange Place the other day and was greeted by a young chap all eager to help with my shopping experience. Told him I wanted some casters.....and he went blank on me. :confused: When I told him little wheels that you fasten to stuff so you can roll it around....the light came back on and he said Aisle 13, proceeded to take me there and with a big flourish...here you go. I thanked him and he walked off all puffed up 'cause he had learned something. Just hope it sticks. :) At least he knew where they were, even if he didn't know what they were. :rolleyes:

Derek Gilmer
05-19-2010, 2:18 PM
I never cease to be amazed that people never cease to be amazed that minimum wage labor aren't experts on their jobs and haven't grown up knowing everything their store sells. :D

Seriously though, it is pretty scary sometimes. I wonder want the job application process and training for HD/Lowes entails.

Prashun Patel
05-19-2010, 2:36 PM
Costs have to be kept down somehow. Personally, I'd be happy with an eager-to-please associate who might not know what something's called, but knows where it is.

By and large, the HD associates have been friendly to me. If I need expert advice, I go to professional electrical, plumbing supply places. Of course, then you have to be prepared to be insulted for trying something that should be left to the pros.

Michael MacDonald
05-19-2010, 3:07 PM
He probably gets a lot of "stupider" customers, so that young chap might look like a genius to some...

Just this afternoon, I went to the big orange place hardware section to get some "finish screws"... asked the orange guy in the aisle where they might be... "don't have that" and he asked what I was trying to do... Before I could say, he conjectured that I might want drywall screws. I explained the finish screws have a smaller conical head, and I gave him a sad, sympathetic look because I was so obviously superior as to know what finish screws were and I had to teach this guy the ropes. A lightbulb went off and he took me right to the square drive "trim-head screws" for drywall...

Exactly what I needed, only I didn't know the proper name apparently. Anyone else call them finish screws?

Anyway, he probably went right back to his computer and posted a sarcastic comment about "another knowledgable HD customer"... So now I know the proper name.

Casters? What are casters?

Prashun Patel
05-19-2010, 4:12 PM
Casters? What are casters?

'Casters' is another name finish screws.

Rob Fisher
05-19-2010, 4:38 PM
I never cease to be amazed that people never cease to be amazed that minimum wage labor aren't experts on their jobs and haven't grown up knowing everything their store sells. :D

Seriously though, it is pretty scary sometimes. I wonder want the job application process and training for HD/Lowes entails.

FYI, from my experience, the training is rather extensive. I worked at HD part time as a second job for two years, and the initial training was something like 80hrs or so. Some of it was total BS, a lot of it was product knowledge for my specific department (which was millwork). But I actually tried at my Job and I have a background in construction and architecture so I probably knew more than the average bear. That said, the quality of customer service that is received always depends on the individual sales associate. Some cared, many didn't. Also sometimes you are there right after an extremely dumb or rude customer and that can affect the sales associate too.

Rob

Lee Schierer
05-19-2010, 4:47 PM
Two things Irk me when I shop at either of the local BORGS.

First, teh sales associate that thinks he knows it all and tries to tell you an abortive way to get something done.

Second the sales associate that doesn't know what you are asking for and says "we don't carry that" when they do or "they don't make those" when you are holding one in your hand or you just used your last one before you came to the store.

If you want to really confuse them ask for plaster washers for attaching cracked or loose plaster to the lathe so it can be repaired. The light bulbs will definitely go out on that one.http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/kilian_2086_42337421

John Pratt
05-19-2010, 5:34 PM
I had a little different experience. I went to the blue store and couldn't find sanding sealer. The (obviously new) associate had no idea what I was talking about. After following me in my quest up and down the paint department aisles, we (I) found it buried back on a shelf near the floor. He very politely asked if I could explain what it was, what it's for, and how it is applied. I gave him the knowledge I had (that was a short conversation) and he thanked me and said he was eager to learn more because he wanted to make good impression on the customers and needed to be able to recommend the proper product for their needs. He left happy, I left happy, and hopefully the next customer will leave happy too.

glenn bradley
05-19-2010, 5:35 PM
The BORG business model does not support long term knowledgeable staff. I do appreciate the folks who know where stuff is in those big ole echo chambers they call stores. It is the squeezing out of the local specialty shops that drives my dollars to those who do "online" well.

Zach England
05-19-2010, 8:21 PM
Once wanted a key copied, but was told that no one at the store knew how to work the machine. I said I know how to work the machine and asked if I could serve myself and was told no.

Jim Finn
05-19-2010, 8:58 PM
[QUOTE=glenn bradley;1426297]The BORG business model does not support long term knowledgeable staff.
True enough I am very qualified to work there and have applied often and no response. I guess is was because I am not bilingual.

Larry Frank
05-19-2010, 9:30 PM
I am certain that the big box stores have a somewhat difficult time trying to walk the narrow line between costs and service. They have to be competitive on price but still provide the best service possible within the cost structure. At least most of us know what we want and can find it by ourselves. I am certain that they could have highly trained associates but then the price would go up and we would not shop there.

I have to admit that at the orange store, I have occasionally run into very knowledgeable usually older associates who have been very helpful in both electrical and plumbing departments. I always try to remember to thank them for their help.

Dave Lehnert
05-19-2010, 10:49 PM
To be fair I have worked in retail for 24 years.

I tend to get good service any place I shop. Guess it may be because I know what to expect. I don't shop all around town to find an item for a buck less. I mostly shop at the same places all the time. I have gotten to know the employees at some and that helps A LOT.

I don't care how experienced an employee is you can just draw a blank at times when a customer asks for an item. It's just like being in a game show like Jeopardy. One customer after another firing questions at you for 8 hours about anything under the sun.

Michael Donahue
05-19-2010, 11:21 PM
If you were a master plumber, would you work at a borg for $12/hour? Probably not right? And what if they paid their plumbing associates for example as if they were licensed plumbers expecting the knowledge that comes with that wage?

What about all the time spent putting items on the shelves, sweeping the floor, cleaning the pipe threading machine, blah blah blah. The long and short of it is that those stores can't hire 'experts' in every field and still give you prices that you expect. So, you get a few guys who know alot from their own experience and may be ex-professionals, some who know alot because they learned it from working at a borg long enough, and some how just graduated high school and don't want to pack groceries.

You get what you pay for. There are good associates at all of the borgs, you just have to find them and go to them with you questions and hopefully you can avoid the part time temps.

Belinda Barfield
05-20-2010, 5:57 AM
I've noticed a big change recently in the staffing of our local borgs. I'm seeing a lot more older, knowledgeable employees. I guess with the economy a lot of trades people are now working part or full time at a borg to make ends meet. I never lack assistance, but I get "talked down to" much of the time. I've become accustomed to that over the years and it doesn't irritate me as much as it did in the past. I actually had a builder refuse to talk to "that girl in the office" because he wanted to talk to someone who had knowledge of countertops. Um, 'scuse me, that would be me.

Mike Cruz
05-20-2010, 6:23 AM
I went to HD yesterday for a laundry list of things. Among them was a circle cutter...you know, one of those adjustable bits for your drill press that will let you make a whole from about 2 inches to 8 inches. Well, after a very thorough search in the tools department, I realized either it wasn't there, or they were out. I looked for help. Saw one guy there that I know is usually crabby and merely on and off helpful. So, I continued my shopping, and came back to the tool section about 10 minutes later. Ahhhh, my usual, very friendly-VERY helpful guy had shown up. I asked him about it. His eyes went to a deep stare at the ground. Literally about 10 seconds passed, his head raised and he told me to go to the end of either aisle 8 or 9. That is the only place he had seen anything like that. He thought it was basically for metal though, because it is in the duct section. Not sure if it would work for wood. (He remembered the I work with wood!) So, I go to the end of aisles 8 and 9. No luck, didn't see it. I asked the guy there in the duct department, and he said, nope, don't have anything like that here. I told him the other guy said that it was down here. He said nope, that kind of thing would be in the tools section...where I just was. I told him that the other guy said it was on the end of one of the aisles, like riiiiiight here. Guess what? There it was. Granted, it wasn't what I needed...it was for metal, but the point, some forlks there are more knowledgable than others...even when it isn't their department.

David Thompson 27577
05-20-2010, 2:21 PM
................Personally, I'd be happy with an eager-to-please associate......................

In my other life, I'm a small-jobs contractor. I spend way too much time in both Lowes and Home Depot stores.

Two years ago, I landed a job laying almost 400 square feet of ceramic tile in the kitchen of a banquet house. The owner/manager didn't care much what specific tile I used, so long as it was a neutral color, and acceptable for such a kitchen.

Now I know that every home center store has a beige 12X12 tile at some amazing low price -- its their "loss leader" to get people to buy the mortar and some tools.

I went to a nearby Lowes, and went to the tile aisle. Told the employee there that I needed 400 sq ft (36 boxes -- total weight nearly a ton) and he told me where I could find a flat cart. He then walked away.

So did I. I went to another store, probably 20 miles away. There was a scrawny kid there who was so eager to help. I felt sorry for him -- all that weight, he loaded the cart and tried to push it. He helped unload it and stack it in my truck.

I spoke with the managers of both stores. The lazy guy at the first store was gone rather quickly.

Dennis Peacock
05-20-2010, 7:30 PM
'Casters' is another name finish screws.

I'm glad this is all cleared up now. Learn sumpin' new every day 'round this place. ;) :D

Now...where'd I put that box of #8 casters?????

Chris Kennedy
05-21-2010, 8:55 AM
So did I. I went to another store, probably 20 miles away. There was a scrawny kid there who was so eager to help. I felt sorry for him -- all that weight, he loaded the cart and tried to push it. He helped unload it and stack it in my truck.

I had a similar experience at an HD. I was loading drywall sheets by myself onto a cart. I had three able-bodied male employees walk by without even pausing. I told the young female employee that stopped to help me (who was maybe 5'2" and 110 pounds) that her coworkers were wimps.

Cheers,

Chris

Don Alexander
05-21-2010, 4:03 PM
i never ask for help in the BORG's mostly don't need it hehe

and i have found that its about 50/50 on whether the associate who happens by is friendly and helpful or not almost always i know more about what i want and where it is in the store than they do but i don't
expect them to know alot either the job doesn't pay enough for that to be a reasonable expectation

Joe Chritz
05-21-2010, 6:16 PM
Also sometimes you are there right after an extremely dumb or rude customer and that can affect the sales associate too.

Rob

Remember that next time you hear about a rude cop. ;)

I have had opposite experiences a couple times. Several years ago when I was building there was one young man in electrical and one in plumbing that really knew their stuff. I could send the Mrs in and she could always come back with the correct stuff. It got to where I told her what I was doing and he would just go grab the stuff for me.

A few of the other guys, well, not so much.

Joe

Michael Trivette
05-26-2010, 5:57 AM
If you were a master plumber, would you work at a borg for $12/hour?

they dont pay that well. not even close

Matt Walton
05-26-2010, 11:30 PM
I was at a HD the other day, and I asked if they knew where they had "Plastic Knobs with 5/16" threaded inserts" for a project (flip top tool stand) now granted, that may not be the most descriptive name, but it's still pretty good in my opinion (I copied it straight from The Complete Small Shop booklet that I got with a subscription to ShopNotes), but they had no idea what I was talking about. I even tried to describe it to them, but neither of them had a clue. We used to have a couple of friends that worked there, so you could try to seek them out, and of course, they were really friendly and helpful, but unfortunately, they don't work there any more (they are actually the ones that built our shop).

David Cramer
05-27-2010, 8:43 AM
My free thoughts:

I've worked in a Home Center and literally worked my butt off running from electrical to power tools (the tool coral) and back. Where I worked, Builder's Square, you had to work 2 departments. Like anything, you have workers who actually care and workers who don't. I made $8.32 an hour about 10 years ago. For what I did, I was highly underpaid, but I still did my best and got yelled at once a month from a disgruntled customer that I could not satisfy because we were out of the drill he wanted or the fan model that she wanted, even after calling several stores to locate just one. You have to have thick skin or you'll end up with ulcers.

To the point: When you have a really good worker at one of the 2 man Home Centers and their wages get in the $20 range, they will find a way to get rid of you (them). Those who wonder where the good helpers are, ........well, they've weeded them out because they'd rather have 2 bodies who don't know jack versus one that does. Michael D is right, there are good employees, but they rarely last. I knew 2 guys who had their wages get up to $24 an hour (not Builder's Square), believe it or not, and they found a way to get rid of them.

Off Topic for Joe Chritz: Sorry Mr. Chritz, I respectfully disagree with your cop analogy, even though you had a smiley face present. If a cop deals with a rude person, the next driver shouldn't have to pay for someone else's attitude. I know quite a few police officers and I live in Michigan as you do. A few are pretty decent, but "a lot" have the power/ego trip going on and let the authority get to their heads (studies show this is true). With that said, I would never judge any individual until I actually met them and yes, I am aware that you are a Deputy Sheriff.

David

Joe Chritz
05-27-2010, 2:24 PM
My free thoughts:

Off Topic for Joe Chritz: Sorry Mr. Chritz, I respectfully disagree with your cop analogy, even though you had a smiley face present. If a cop deals with a rude person, the next driver shouldn't have to pay for someone else's attitude. I know quite a few police officers and I live in Michigan as you do. A few are pretty decent, but "a lot" have the power/ego trip going on and let the authority get to their heads (studies show this is true). With that said, I would never judge any individual until I actually met them and yes, I am aware that you are a Deputy Sheriff.

David

The point was taken in context of giving an employee a break because the last person was a jerk. If you do it for one, do it for all. Personally I don't for anyone. You should get judged on your actions, back stories are great for the coffee table of counselor. If you need a minute before dealing with the next person than take it. If you don't want to work there than don't.

I would tend to disagree with you in characterizing "a lot" with power trips. I would say that "a lot" is a gross over statement. Rest assured, if you think he/she is a jerk chances are that the rest of us do also.

If I spend 5% of my time dealing with drivers it is a lot. There is a lot more happening at any time than someone in a hurry to get home.

Kindly quote the studies as I would love to read them.

Joe

Joseph Crivelli
05-27-2010, 3:31 PM
There are 3 HDs near me. I usually go to the newest one, especially when I need a tool or tool accessory. That's because the tool section at this store is run by an older man of Indian origin. (He looks old enough to have served with Gunga Din.)

This man is knowledgable and always old-school polite. I enjoy just talking to him if I happen to be in the store for a non-tool item.

In a Lowes, I asked if they had brad-point bits. The clerk didn't have a clue.

David Cramer
05-27-2010, 11:44 PM
You have the right to disagree with me and call what you will a gross over statement and I have the right to disagree with you, which I do. I have spoken with Chiefs of Police as well as dozens of law enforcement officers from Patrolman to Sgts. to Lts., including a brother-in-law who works on your side of the state. As far as you have better things to do than ticket someone who's in a hurry to get home, that's fine, but that may not be the main part of "your" job, or you are older. I knew an officer (since retired) who was quite a nice guy and told me flat out that tickets are expensive and he only gives out 2-3 a year, to the jerks who argue with him. But..........he was a few years away from retiring and added that the young officers will nail you for spitting on the sidewalk, his words not mine.

As far as the studies go, sorry Joe, I am married with 2 kids and I am not doing anyone's homework:). Wikipedia, Bing, and Google will point you in the right direction. I recently witnessed a case in the tri-county area and the studies that I speak of were actually brought up in court. Also I have a "Captain" fireman friend who sees many, many officers on accident scenes and believe what you will, but he has a pretty interesting saying. He says "a lot" of cops are bullies or they were bullied and now they are giving it back. Are all cops like that, of course not. From his personal experience, a lot are, and I'm sure you will argue that, but that is his take on it and your's will vary.

I stand by my statement that a lot of officers are on power trips.....I did not say all, half, or everyone, I said a lot. You obviously disagree and that's fine with me. By the way, yes there are great officers out there serving the public, many actually, and they have a tough job so please don't misunderstand me.

:)Respectfully:),

David

p.s. Did you see the cop verbally ripping the young guy apart a few years ago and then finds out that young man had a video recorder in the back seat? Did you know how many people complained and nothing happened because the police officer "would never do that", but the camcorder told a different story. Did you see how his supervisor, on the news, questioned as to why someone would have a recorder in the back seat? The young man was harassed before and got wise, God Bless him. Sorry OP, I didn't mean to sway off subject, but I think Joe wanted a response. Carry on.