PDA

View Full Version : Hitachi B16RM Drill Press, Anyone?

Jason Roehl
11-21-2004, 6:31 PM
I just ran across this DP today at Lowe's. I had never seen it anywhere before, online, in catalogs, or in person. I was curious if anyone had one or has played with one, and what they though of it if they have. The only reference I have found on it is on the Lowe's website--not even Hitachi's website, nor Amazon (which has 557 Hitachi tools listed--DAMHIKT).

It seems to be a pretty good deal at $269. It has a 12A/120V induction motor (1 HP?--didn't see a nameplate), speed range is 250-3100RPM, has a worklight (somewhere, I saw the switch for it, but not the light), an X-Y laser pointer for locating the hole (nifty little feature, I wonder if it actually works). The worktable is not necessarily woodworking-oriented, but that's not a big deal, however it is a substantial table.

Any thoughts or recommendations on other relatively inexpensive drill presses? I've looked at the Jet JDP-17MF (like it, but a bit more spendy than I'd care for). And, don't starting pointing me toward the Delta 17-990X or 17-825, yeah, I want one of those, but that's just too much dough.

Thanks!

James Carmichael
11-22-2004, 6:38 AM
I've been wondering about this DP as well. It looks pretty good.

Jason,

If they ever do a remake of "The Exorcist", you've got the lead nailed.

Brian Clevenger
08-11-2005, 10:35 PM
i see that the price has dropped to $229. this may well be the one to get at that price.