PDA

View Full Version : sears hybrid table saw

Rich Noterman
05-19-2010, 9:54 AM
Hi guys and gals, any one own the sears granite top table saw 22116 ?
I have been saving up for a Grizzly 690 (still saving) very nice saw for the money..................on line I saw the sears saw on sale was $1000 on sale the bottom line price is $685 after all discounts. I know the Grizzly is a much better and more powerful saw. But at the price of $685 i'm thinking its a deal I cant pass up. What do you think? Thanks for your time Rich

Myk Rian
05-19-2010, 10:20 AM
I have the Steel City model without the granite. I like it.

scott spencer
05-19-2010, 10:30 AM
Hi Rich - Having been in similar shoes, I can appreciate why this is a tough call for you. Obviously this is a decision only you can make. I've owned the 22124, which was a cast iron predecessor to the 22116. It was a very good saw that I really liked a lot....with good blade selection and good alignment, there was really nothing I couldn't do with relative ease. An excellent deal on a Shop Fox W1677 (a white G1023SL) persuaded me to sell the 22124 and grab the heavier duty saw. It was basically an opportunity to fulfill a dream of owning an industrial cabinet saw.

As much as I liked my 22124, it's not a fair fight when you put a hybrid like the 22116 directly against a full 3hp industrial cabinet saw like the G0690...as you're aware, the G0690 is simply the more substantial, more powerful saw. The "tough call" comes into play when you consider what you really "need" vs "want", the extra cost, patience waiting for your dream saw, the "logic" that the G0690 is the better tool, etc. My 22124 was purchased during a pretty amazing sale...not so different from what you're facing now, which basically meant that there was little financial downside when it came time to sell it. The W1677 was also a terrific deal. Had those two factors played out differently, I might still be a happy owner of a 22124.

You know yourself and your circumstances better than I. If it's a hobby, do what makes you happy...nothing wrong with a stepping stone move IMHO, if you don't mind the setup time. If it's a business, you'd probably be better off with the better tool in the first place.

FWIW, if you originate your online purchase through Bing.com, there's some additional Cashback available.

Good luck with your decision.

Paul Wunder
05-19-2010, 11:09 AM
Rich,

I don't own your model, but I do own the Sears zipcode 22124 model. Love it. Bought it three years ago and it has earned its place. My current concern would be about future parts and service. The zipcode saw was made for Sears by Orion, which is now part of Steel City Toolworks, who makes the model you are considering. Steel City has had a rough go for the past two years with new ownership and no advertising or new model introductions. There are rumors questioning their survival. Major distributors, such as Woodcraft have stopped carrying Steel City machines and the SC website has not been updated in over a year. further, the original management, all with deep industry experience have been replaced. This original management group was the innovative spark behind SC.

I am not a fan of Sears support or service so I would be hesitant today to make a major tool purchase from them.

Paul

Orlando Gonzalez
05-19-2010, 11:30 AM
Rich,

I have it and have been very happy with it. It came well packaged, set up, and has cut 8/4 SYP with little effort.

Scott gave you excellent advice. If you have your heart set on the Griz then wait because you'll probably end up regretting getting a 1.75hp hybrid over a full cabinet TS. My shop is my 12 x 35 terrace out back. I don't have 220v access and the granite top is perfect for the S. Fla heat and humidity. I bought the 22116 beause it met my needs and wants.

Good luck on your decision.

glenn bradley
05-19-2010, 11:34 AM
Another 22124 owner. I just ripped a bunch of 8/4 black walnut with surfaces that could go straight to glue up. The crosscuts and miters in 1-1/2" walnut came out beautiful too (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=150915&d=1274065788). However, if I had a deal come along on a 3HP cabinet and I could keep my Beisemeyer; I'd be all over it.

Jim O'Dell
05-19-2010, 11:36 AM
I saved for 12 months to get my G0691...worth every moment! Not saying the Craftsman saw won't do everything you need it to. You have to decide what you want at this point, as both saws will cut wood. Jim.

Will Overton
05-19-2010, 11:42 AM
I've had the 22124 for just about five years. I have nothing bad to say about the saw. I'm so sure [for me] that the 1.75hp is plenty, that I'm about to spend $2500 on a SawStop PCS with the same power.

As for future parts for the Craftsman saw, I would not be overly concerned. For one, Sears has always seemed to have parts I needed even for older items. Orion, in addition to making the Craftsman saw, I've been told, are also making the Ridgid granite topped saw as well as the General. So even if the SteelCity name was to disappear, that doesn't mean that Orion, which came into being first, would not continue to manufacture these store brand products. I shouldn't really say manufacture, as they are all produced by foreign manufacturers.

As an example;

http://www.geetech.com.tw/sp.html

Shawn Albe
05-19-2010, 1:48 PM
Surprised nobody has asked what he is using now, what other tools he needs, how his budget looks etc.

I'm guessing you are a hobbiest, and I'm also guessing that you either have no TS or a benchtop model. Either situation probably frustrates the hell out of you.

In that case, in my opinion, I'd say get the Craftsman and put the money elsewhere.

No doubt that the Grizzly will have more power, but 'how much is enough'? Several posters above are having no issues with 1.75hp.
It is also heavier (542 lbs shipped vs 400 lbs shipped) so likely the trunnions are beefier. But you'd have a hard time convincing me a 400 pound saw wasn't solid enough to do good work
The fences are about equal.
So yes, the Grizz is likely a better saw, but I would have a hard time saying it would be ~twice as good ($685 v $1294). If you were in a production shop, maybe. That leftover money would buy you an 8" Grizzly jointer, or a 6" jointer and 13" planer, or go a long way towards a G0513 bandsaw.

And as someone earlier said, if you get it at a great price, you really won't lose that much money if you ever sell it and step up.

Of course that's my opinion, and opinions are like noses, everybody has one. Good luck.

John Mark Lane
05-19-2010, 3:26 PM
Hm, I'm intrigued by this saw. Never cared much for Craftsman power tools, but if you guys think this saw is ok that's pretty compelling. One question, I don't think I've ever seen a "granite top". What the heck is that? Is it an actual granite (stone) table? Do they grind these things up to make them? Do they ever chip or break? Serious questions, I have no idea what this is.

$685 for what looks like a slightly downsized cabinet saw...hell that's almost the same price as a portable jobsite saw I was pondering.

Mark

Prashun Patel
05-19-2010, 4:15 PM
Get the saw you WANT. Even if it takes you a little longer to save for it.

David Nelson1
05-19-2010, 4:37 PM
I saw the Rigid version of a granite top (HD). I wa intrigued to say the least due to the low maintenence aspect of the top (rust), but the Sears saw won out for me. I just wished I had more money to buy a saw that more capacity. I'm adding a cross cut sled and on out feed table to mine now.

Hm, I'm intrigued by this saw. Never cared much for Craftsman power tools, but if you guys think this saw is ok that's pretty compelling. One question, I don't think I've ever seen a "granite top". What the heck is that? Is it an actual granite (stone) table? Do they grind these things up to make them? Do they ever chip or break? Serious questions, I have no idea what this is.

$685 for what looks like a slightly downsized cabinet saw...hell that's almost the same price as a portable jobsite saw I was pondering.

Mark

John Mark Lane
05-19-2010, 4:55 PM
If you drop something heavy on a granite top, will it break? What if the saw gets knocked down or something? I mean, not that it would be good for any kind of saw, but cast iron is just so ... rugged. To me "granite" is for kitchen counters.

Will Overton
05-19-2010, 5:02 PM
Someone posted on another forum that he broke an extension table during assembly. He new it was his fault, so he glued it. He contacted Ridgid and let them know what happened, admitting it was his fault. They sent him a new one anyway.

Months later, the new one is still in the package. Granite is pretty easy to repair and the repairs hold up.

Steel City gives a 10 year warranty on the granite. I'm not sure what Sears or Home Depot provide.

John Mark Lane
05-19-2010, 5:10 PM
Someone posted on another forum that he broke an extension table during assembly. He new it was his fault, so he glued it. He contacted Ridgid and let them know what happened, admitting it was his fault. They sent him a new one anyway.

Months later, the new one is still in the package. Granite is pretty easy to repair and the repairs hold up.

Steel City gives a 10 year warranty on the granite. I'm not sure what Sears or Home Depot provide.

Interesting. I think I'll stick with cast iron. I've never had to glue a cast iron tool back together to use it. :)

Mark

Greg Peterson
05-19-2010, 9:44 PM
As for granite versus cast iron, they each have their pros and cons.

Cast iron doesn't chip easily.

Granite is dense, doesn't rust and won't warp.

Jon Canfield
05-19-2010, 10:15 PM
I have the 22116, and have to say I'm very impressed with the saw. I did a lot of shopping around, and while I was nervous about the granite at first, I love the saw and have had no issues at all. Alignment was excellent out of the box, and I've had plenty of power for the limited type of work I do - very seldom anything thicker than 4/4 maple.