PDA

View Full Version : Picking out a laser miter. Delta? New Hitachi C12LCH? Others?

Matt Allan
11-21-2004, 4:59 PM
I have decided I am going to get a new fancy laser miter saw if I can find the delta at lowes or not. If I can I will defiantly get the delta twin laser(36-255L) but if I can't that opens up any others.

Wondering if anyone has used or heard anything about the Hitachi C12LCH? I know nothing of Hitachi miter saws, never seen or used one. This new model has a laser and has a digital readout for the Miter and bevel. Curious if anyone has heard anything about it? Its going for $370 on amazon with the delta at $330 I think.

BTW the delta is the exact same as the porter cable twin laser correct? I thought I read that a few times.

Or anything else I should be looking at?
Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks

Kent Cori
11-21-2004, 5:11 PM
Matt,

It might help if you could give us a little more information on your most common CMS tasks. Will this be used for rough carpentry and framing or woodworking? (A laser may not give you the fine line required for woodworking.) How much width capacity will you need? (A SCMS might be better if you're going to need to cut anything more than 5-6 inches wide.)

Matt Allan
11-21-2004, 5:14 PM
Matt,

It might help if you could give us a little more information on your most common CMS tasks. Will this be used for rough carpentry and framing or woodworking? (A laser may not give you the fine line required for woodworking.) How much width capacity will you need? (A SCMS might be better if you're going to need to cut anything more than 5-6 inches wide.)
Kent, I will use it primary for woodworking, not much rough work. From what I have read everyone has loved their laser CMS, I haven't heard much about not giving a fine enough line. I have seen a lot about just how dead on the delta is even right out of the box. Think even saw a few mention that on this board after picking it up at lowes with the clearance deals. Don't really require a SCMS, just looking to replace my nonlaser unit and thought id get some opinions

Thanks for the reply

Chuck Crum
11-21-2004, 6:13 PM
I can't speak to the 12 inch saw with the digital reasout, but I bought the Hitachi 10 inch SCMS with laser a few months ago and am very satisfied. The laser was accurate out of the box, and I have found it very versitile for both rough and trim cuts. In fact, I have removed my radial arm saw from the shop and use the Hitachi exclusively.

Ken Leshner
11-21-2004, 11:11 PM
I have the Delta twin laser. As far as accuracy, I have it set up so that aligning the laser directly on the pencil line will split the line exactly.

David LaRue
11-22-2004, 8:46 AM
I too have the Delta Twin Laser. I just got finished putting in Brazian Cherry Hardwood floor, crown, and trim, and wainscoat in antoher room in the house with the saw. The twin laser is the way to go, espically when cuting moulding from either side of the blade. Mine came out of the box with no adjustments needing to be made. I have used the Hitachi sliding compond, and it was silky smooth. I don't have the room for one however. I have to admit the digital readout would have come in handy when you are cutting corners the are not 90 degrees (not coping). Does it have reference guide built in for 52°/38° and 45°/45° degree moulding types?

David

Bill Esposito
11-22-2004, 10:56 AM
Don't really require a SCMS, just looking to replace my nonlaser unit and thought id get some opinions

Matt,

Not that I'm trying to prevent you from buying a new toy but take a look at the Laserkerf. I've been using if for some time now and I find it to be very accurate. Could save you a bunch of money (and it's not even GEICO).