PDA

View Full Version : veneer and vac press

Joe Chritz
05-19-2010, 8:19 AM
Anyone in the mid Michigan area with a vacuum press? I would really like to try one hands on before purchasing one.

I have a project currently where I need a set of end shelves similar to the line drawing below. Only these are upper shelves 12" deep, 42" tall by 18" wide and 14" wide.

I have a great source for hickory hardwood and had planed on doing them out of solid wood (cheaper than plywood except labor) with a sliding dovetail along the back section but this may be an good time to pick up a vacuum press.

I was looking at a V2 system from Joewoodworker as I have a decent compressor and it appears to do anything I would need. Up until now any veneer work was cauls and clamps.

Maybe I should just order up and make up some panels on 1/2" BB and go to town. Isn't that the best way to learn anyway? A sheet of plywood would be cheaper for this one project but who can turn down new tools?

Joe

Matt Day
05-19-2010, 11:12 AM
I've been very happy with my V2 system, as have a lot of folks. I say go for it if you can't find a local ww'er who has one.

Jim Tobias
05-19-2010, 11:20 AM
Joe,
My only warning is that once you start using highly figured veneers on substrates, it will become an addiction, and a veneer press only makes the slippery slope slide faster!!
Good luck.

Jim

Frank Drew
05-19-2010, 11:20 AM
Joe,

If you think you'll want to veneer but are unsure if it's as easy as some have said, just go ahead and get a system because it is.

I cobbled together an excellent system myself from a used, but high quality vacuum pump (a lucky find), bags I made from sheet vinyl (not difficult), and scrap automotive 1/4" i.d. hosing; particle board for the caul, and masonite and some plastic sheet completed the setup and I never looked back.