PDA

View Full Version : Giant bowl lathe

Scott Hackler
05-19-2010, 12:30 AM
Holy Moley this is a monster lathe. Anyone able to ID this big boy?

http://members.cox.net/cabletech/lathe.jpg

alex carey
05-19-2010, 12:41 AM
http://hegner.co.uk/pages/VB36_Lathes/vb36_lathes.html

Bill Wyko
05-19-2010, 12:53 AM
The infamous VB-36. I'd give my left #$@ for one of those. Is it for sale or trade?

Malcolm Tibbetts
05-19-2010, 1:07 AM
Not to brag, but I turn on one of these wonderful machines. Actually, mine is slightly larger with the bigger tailstock option. It doesn't jump around much.

Karl Card
05-19-2010, 1:33 AM
Not to brag, but I turn on one of these wonderful machines. Actually, mine is slightly larger with the bigger tailstock option. It doesn't jump around much.

how nice, not to brag but mine is bigger.... YOU SUCK... take that as me being envious, not angry..

Seems like when I first started the hobby there was a bowl lathe at penn state but it was not near that big..

Jon Lanier
05-19-2010, 1:37 AM
Yea yea yea.... but its just the wrong color. Therefore, I won't get one.

alex carey
05-19-2010, 2:08 AM
Karl, I think I've seen a few of those lathes your talking about. I think its called a Graduate Union lathe.

Malcolm I'm going to visit you one day so I can drool all over your lathe, I hope its rustproof.

David Walser
05-19-2010, 9:20 AM
I saw a VB-36 listed for sale on another forum* recently. The asking price was $9,500. Shipping was extra. The owner was in the San Francisco area.

*I was being forced to look at the other forum. You guys know I'm loyal to Sawmill Creek, right?

Scott Hackler
05-19-2010, 10:14 AM
No its not for sale... that I know of. I spend a lot of time watching turning videos on youtube and came across this fellas video. I was just curious as to the make and value of such a beast.

Don Geiger
05-19-2010, 10:31 AM
The guy in the photo is Trent Bosch from Colorado. Great turner, teacher and generally a really nice guy.

If someone wants a VB-36 you might ask Trent if he still has his. He's now a dealer for Robust. He might want to let the VB go.

Bill Bulloch
05-19-2010, 11:53 AM
Nice lathe for turning pens...

Dave Ogren
05-19-2010, 12:22 PM
Not to brag either, but I can't say enough good things about mine.

Dave

Bill Wyko
05-19-2010, 4:29 PM

Malcolm, if you ever get rid of it. Can I have first dibs? I'll drive out to get it. Same goes for you too Dave:D

Dave Ogren
05-22-2010, 11:29 AM
Bill,

I just found a VB-36 for sale. I think that it is the one with the long tail stock like Malcomb Tibbets has. PM me or send me an email and I will get you all of the details.

Good Luck,

Dave

Allen Neighbors
05-22-2010, 1:49 PM
I got to turn for about 1 minute on Terry Daniels' VB while I was in GA. Monster, for sure, and smooth as silk!! One of the best of the best!!

Jon McElwain
05-24-2010, 2:12 AM
Not sure that is Trent Bosch. Doesn't look like his shop, and I don't remember a VB in there either. I looked at the VB's but they were tough to add accessories, and they were not great for spindles (I do mostly bowls but some spindle work as well). Oneway got my order!

Jim Maxwell
05-24-2010, 5:47 AM
Now this is a big bowl lathe.
http://www.proserpinewoodturners.com/The_Big_Bowl.html
Jim

Ryan Baker
05-25-2010, 9:21 PM
Not sure that is Trent Bosch. Doesn't look like his shop, and I don't remember a VB in there either. I looked at the VB's but they were tough to add accessories, and they were not great for spindles (I do mostly bowls but some spindle work as well). Oneway got my order!

Yes, that is Trent. It is from one of his DVDs (I have that DVD).

Most of his shop is full of Vicmarcs. Interesting to hear he is a Robust dealer now.

Brendan Stemp
05-25-2010, 9:32 PM
I contacted the company in the UK to get the DVD on the VB36. Very interesting viewing. The most amazingly well engineered and designed lathe I have come across. I want one!!

Scott Hackler
05-25-2010, 10:09 PM
Yeah that is definitely Trent Bosch. I did a screen capture from a youtube video staring him. I guess I should have gave him credit but I ignored the turner in favor of the giant lathe!

David Woodruff
06-02-2010, 2:38 PM
I have had a VB since 2000, 3hp, purchased direct from Roger Buse. Met Roger the next year at an AAW annual symposia. Nice chap. Also have a Oneway 2436-3hp, stainless steel with extension. Both are superb for their intended use, ie. bed lathe vs pure bowl lathe. I purchased the long bed and quickly sold to fellow turner in Oregon. Realized quickly that the bed compromised accessibility from all directions to the work piece. My VB is now naked and still awesome after 10 years. In fact the Oneway and VB are the two wood lathes in which I have never found fault. Like most wood turners I have turned on and owned my share of wannabe wood lathes. When purchasing a wood lathe do not even think in terms of less than 3 grand unless you want to turn pens and little small things. Nothing wrong with pen turning, the Oneway 2436 does a fantastic job.

Happy Turning, David Woodruff...North Carolina