PDA

View Full Version : Another one of those days

Joe Shinall
05-19-2010, 12:24 AM
Saw Belinda's post about her washing machine and I just had to post what happened to us Saturday.

Drove out to Skidaway Island, about an hour away from my house to put the boat in. Got the boat in the water and drove around for 25 minutes looking for a parking spot. There were 16 cars in the trailer spots with no trailers. Yet there were about 35 empty car spots. So I pulled on the curb. Got in the boat and got going down river and heard a beep. Low oil. SOB!!!! Engine cut off. Realized we had a small leak I didn't know about. Put a quart in it and putt putted a half a mile to friend's dock and got a gallon of oil. Now we're off.

Going to take a shortcut, following friends. They tell me to go up ahead since their depth finder doesn't work. So I'm going along going along and bam, stuck in the mud. Had to get off the boat and crawl through the mud to their boat and wait for the tide to come back in. So then went back to get the boat and the damn wind was blowing so bad I couldn't get the damn thing out of the creek because I didn't want the motor sucking in mud. So now throwing anchor out and pulling myself out of the mud. Boat full of mud! Got it out and picked up my wife from the beach. Leave the beach and hit a damn sand bar! Are you kiddin me!!!!! Waves coming in the boat, finally get out. Going home!!!!!

Get to the boat ramp and can't get the boat to load right for some reason. Got it close to even and said screw it, we're leavin. Now the trailer lights don't work. WTH??? Screw it, go back to my friends house and fix the lights, wire came loose. Going home!

Get to the house and turn the lights on, rinsing the boat off and see the board on the trailer has come off the bracket! I quit!!! Not going on that damn boat for at least another 2 weeks! Need a break!

Who wants to go fishing Saturday?

Belinda Barfield
05-19-2010, 6:02 AM
Such is the life of a boat owner . . . in Savannah . . . what can I say? Sorry you had a bum day! Sounds like the wife got to soak up some sunshine on the beach, so that's a plus. Funny how it can't be just one thing, isn't it? BTW, my new washer is being delivered today, and yes, fishing Saturday sounds great. :D

Rich Engelhardt
05-19-2010, 7:21 AM
Who wants to go fishing Saturday?
I bought a boat about 20 years ago.
Prior to that, I was a fanatic fisherman.
Loved it! Went every chance I got & then some.

First two years I had the boat, I used it every chance I got from first ice out, to the first signs of ice forming on the water.

Then......

It became a chore to hook up the trailer - fool around with the lights that never seemed to work in the dark, but, always seemed to work in the daylight when I'd try to fix them so they'd work in the dark...:rolleyes:

It became such a guilt trip to want to just toss the rod in the car and spend an hour walking the banks of a river,,,,I felt obligated to use the boat all the time - every time - I wanted to wet a line.

By about year 6, I'd become so tired of the boat hauling ritual/trailer lights/bobbing around in near freezing water, I just quit fishing.:rolleyes:

Anyhow - this ain't about that!

The parking is what caught my eye.
One morning - July 4th BTW, I got to the ramp about 4:30am and launched. Fished until around 10 and headed back to the ramp.
Naturally, by that time the ramp really crowded. I found a place to beach the boat & walked to the lot to get the truck/trailer.

Somebody had pulled into the boat lane behind me - and *somebody* had parked a little econo box in from of my truck - boxing me in.
I asked around to see if anyone owned the car, and somebody said a young girl had pulledin, got out and jumped into a car full of youngsters and driven off!:confused:

I aksed the ranger if there was anything they could do - like have the car towed since it was parked illegally & they said as long as it wasn't obstructing traffic, there was nothing they could do.

Long story short - 4 wheel low baby... ;)

Roger Newby
05-19-2010, 7:41 AM
I've heard that two of the happiest days in a mans life are:
1. when he buys a boat.
2. when he sells the dang thing! :D

Belinda Barfield
05-19-2010, 7:44 AM
Fishing is one of the few things I'll get up early for, I love to fish. The ex and I had a bass boat a number of years ago. We were on the lake every Saturday. Speaking of driving and parking, the ex would back the trailer almost all of the way down the ramp, then it was my turn to finish the job . . . which I never did correctly . . . I guess he hoped one day I would acquire the skill. I didn't. I also had the job of parking the truck and trailer. Never had a ticket, never got towed, and I have no idea why not. :rolleyes: Then there was the day that after putting the boat in the water we realized the fishing licenses were at home. That day we should have just put the boat back on the trailer and called game over.

Tom Winship
05-19-2010, 8:07 AM
I've heard that two of the happiest days in a mans life are:
1. when he buys a boat.
2. when he sells the dang thing! :D

+1 Roger, been there, done that!

Jim Rimmer
05-19-2010, 12:50 PM
Kind of a funny boat story - just happens that the woman was blomde but purely coincidental, I'm sure. Anyway, she worked in my office. One Saturday she and her boyfriend headed out with the boat. Trailer has a flat. He disconnected trailer and told her to stay with the boat while he went home for the spare. She got in the boat which was parked on a slight incline. Passing cars rocked the boat/trailer a bit and the trailer began to slowy roll down the incline. She jumped behind the controls of the boat and was trying hard to steer it. :D

Joe Shinall
05-19-2010, 5:39 PM
Kind of a funny boat story - just happens that the woman was blomde but purely coincidental, I'm sure. Anyway, she worked in my office. One Saturday she and her boyfriend headed out with the boat. Trailer has a flat. He disconnected trailer and told her to stay with the boat while he went home for the spare. She got in the boat which was parked on a slight incline. Passing cars rocked the boat/trailer a bit and the trailer began to slowy roll down the incline. She jumped behind the controls of the boat and was trying hard to steer it. :D

Now that's funny! And I would definitely agree with the 2 happiest days in a boat owners life is the day he buys it and the day he sells it.

Glad you got your new washer Belinda. Had one about a month ago I would have given you if I still had it. Gave it to a neighbor. Worked fine but my wife was insistent upon a front loader without agitator.

glenn bradley
05-19-2010, 6:52 PM
The day you bring your new boat home is a high point in your life. It is but a mole hill compared to the heights to which your soul will soar when you finally sell it. JMHO.

Belinda Barfield
05-20-2010, 5:41 AM
Glad you got your new washer Belinda. Had one about a month ago I would have given you if I still had it. Gave it to a neighbor. Worked fine but my wife was insistent upon a front loader without agitator.

LOL . . . that's a whole other thread right there - pros and cons of front load washers. I went the traditional route, top load with agitator. Thanks for thinking of me though.

Mike Cruz
05-20-2010, 6:31 AM
I would have done the EXACT same thing. Not sure how far you pushed it, but I would have made a point out of where it ended up...