PDA

View Full Version : Power tool problems - need advise

James Henderson
05-18-2010, 10:43 PM
I am experiencing newly-developed problems with two pieces of shop equipment.

Problem1 - Dewalt 735 planer
When I feed stock into the unit, it rotates sharply rather than sliding linearly through the machine. The sound of material removal differs depending on whether the stock is justified to the left or right on the bed as it's fed into the device.

I suspect that one or more of the knives are out of adjustment.

Problem2 - Milwaukee 5625 router
On power on, the unit spins for approximately 1 second ramping up to speed, but immediately then spins-down thereafter. Power-cycling does not change the symptom. The unit is not warm to the touch.

I suspect some sort of internal short is tripping an internal current limiter or other protection circuit.

Has anyone experienced similar problems? Your diagnosis?

Joe Shinall
05-18-2010, 11:03 PM
Planer problem does sound like a knife out of adjustment. Sounds like one or more knives are offset and pulling it to the side.

Will Overton
05-18-2010, 11:08 PM
I had the router problem with a 5626 (5625 w/remote speed control) but since the unit was fairly new it was replaced.

How old is the router? They have a 5 year warranty

As for the planer, blades are dull. If they are double sided and you've only used one side, flip them. Otherwise, it's time for new ones.

Joe Chritz
05-19-2010, 7:22 AM
That planer should have indexed knives so take them out and put them back in. They could also just be very dull in one or all spots so it may be time to change.

Sounds like an electronic problem on the router, soft start maybe or speed control. If it is under warranty send it in otherwise I would check on parts costs. Routers are cheap enough new or through craigslist or fleabay that they are nearly disposable anymore. Better yet get another then see about repair. One can never have to many routers.

Joe

Ross Canant
05-20-2010, 8:56 PM
Clean the planer bed with solvent and wax with Johnson's paste wax. If that doesn't do it, you need new knives.

James Henderson
05-20-2010, 10:46 PM
Thanks to all for all your replies. I'll try your suggestions this weekend.

Jeremy Brant
05-21-2010, 8:01 AM
Milwaukee carries at 5 year warranty on its tools (for the original owner if bought new). Check here for your closest service center for a no-cost repair/replacement: http://www.milwaukeetool.com/PartsAndService/ServiceCenter/Default.aspx. I've brought drills in before and had a turnaround <1 week typically. Unless you're good with electronics this is by far the easiest way to approach the fix for the router.

James Henderson
06-02-2010, 11:08 PM
Resolution on the above issues:

Rotated the planer knives and the unit works like new again. I also ordered a set of carbide replacement knives for the 735 from Global. They arrived and appear well-made and very sharp. This will avoid down-time when the stock knives dull again.

Milwaukee repaired the router under warranty and returned it within two weeks. Works like a champ again. The service report indicated that the tach and electronic speed control circuit were replaced.

glenn bradley
06-02-2010, 11:19 PM
I love it when things work out. Congrats.