PDA

View Full Version : "Leprosy" Maple?

David DeCristoforo
05-18-2010, 7:49 PM
So here it is... FWIW...my first attempt at lathe work in almost twenty years. This was probably the worst piece of wood I could have chosen for a "re-entry" project. The wood is "spalted" almost to the point of decomposition. I didn't realize how punky it was until I started to turn it. I didn't dare try to go any thinner than about 3/16" for fear that it would disintegrate. I also discovered that whoever makes my Nova chuck must not use the same kind of rulers we get here. With the jaws I wanted to use, the manual says the max capacity is three inches I.D. I made a two and seven eighths diameter recess but the chuck would not open enough to grab it tight. Luckily I got several sets of jaws with my chuck so I had a set that would grab the outside of the foot. Next time I'll verify those specs before hand!

151045 151046 151047

BTW, it's about 8" in diameter.

Roland Martin
05-18-2010, 7:54 PM
Wow, really heavy spalting. Won't hold water but sure is a lovely bowl:) Nice work David!

alex carey
05-18-2010, 8:04 PM
looks great but you need some bigger pictures to show that off properly.

John Keeton
05-18-2010, 8:16 PM
Great re-entry piece, David!! I love the wood, and the rustic form really works. It was worth the effort, for sure. I had similar issues with the Nova chuck dimensions, and discovered various Nova chuck bodies have different expansion spans - even with the same jaws. So, 50mm jaws on an SN2 may give a different capacity than on a G3.

I do agree on the pics, though. They are way too small to see much in the way of detail, grain, etc.

Bernie Weishapl
05-18-2010, 8:51 PM
David that is a nice piece to come back with. Sorry but it probably won't hold soup or ice cream.:D Well done. Look forward to seeing more.

David DeCristoforo
05-18-2010, 9:49 PM
Sorry about the small pics. The other thing I need to limber up is my digital camera. I took those with my phone. Didn't figure it was "all that" anyway. Just nice to be doing some turning again.

Steve Schlumpf
05-18-2010, 9:54 PM
David - Welcome back to the world of turning! Really nice looking bowl - great wood! Looking forward to seeing what you turn next!

gary Zimmel
05-18-2010, 10:06 PM
Looks like you haven't missed a beat taking a 20 year break from a lathe....
Nice looking bowl. Looking forward to more.

David E Keller
05-18-2010, 10:13 PM
Nicely done... That certainly was a challenging piece to knock the rust off with. Welcome back.

Baxter Smith
05-18-2010, 10:25 PM
Looks like a challenging piece of wood to turn to say the least! Good job1

Mikail Khan
05-18-2010, 10:33 PM
Nice work David.

MK

Andrew Kertesz
05-19-2010, 5:37 AM
Nice lookin bowl! I agree bigger pictures are needed. Looks like one of those new diet bowls, fill it and eat till it's empty...

Fred Belknap
05-19-2010, 9:48 AM
Hard, soft, curly, tiger, birds-eye and now leprosy. :D:D

bob svoboda
05-19-2010, 10:02 AM
Nice bowl. Like John Keeton said once, "if it won't hold soup, it must be art." Welcome back to the vortex!

Don Orr
05-19-2010, 10:16 AM
Way to go David ! Great job on difficult wood. Just like riding a bike, huh ? Be careful or you'll end up like Keeton and forget about your flat work:eek::D;).

Cathy Schaewe
05-19-2010, 10:32 AM
Sorry about the small pics. The other thing I need to limber up is my digital camera. I took those with my phone. Didn't figure it was "all that" anyway. Just nice to be doing some turning again.

I certainly think it's worth bigger pics - it looks really good!