PDA

View Full Version : Cabinetmakers chest and a question...

Zach Dillinger
05-18-2010, 7:49 PM
Fellow Creekers,

I finally finished the tool trays in my old beaten-down cabinetmakers tool chest. I bought this box for $40 with nothing inside but some old cobwebs and dead bugs. I got the inside cleaned up and added just a few things...

Pics can be found here: http://bit.ly/GUZP4

This box, along with the dresser shown on my blog and the plane till on the wall, holds my collection of user tools. However, I have a question for the assembled Neanderthals. I realize this is somewhat of a shock, but I've managed to accrue a small collection of levels, backsaws and patent planes that I wouldn't strictly call "users". Does anyone have any tips / pics of storage options for tools that you wouldn't call "users"? I could just through them up on a shelf, but I don't want them to get dusty...

Thanks,

Zach

Steve Costa
05-18-2010, 9:37 PM
As I practicing neaderthal I have assembled some very nice collectable Record, Preston (both English makers) and Stanley planes. Along the way I bought "Gentleman's" wall mounted tool chests made by Hammacher & Schlemeller and E.C. Jennings (also antiques), put in some removable shelves and use these to display my collection. I also use a 1924 lawyer's bookcase and an Arts & Crafts bookcase for my collection.

If you are concerned about dust then the next best thing is to build or buy glass enclosed display cases. As for me, I dust my collection every 2 to 3 years whether it needs it or not.

Zach Dillinger
05-20-2010, 9:18 AM
As I practicing neaderthal I have assembled some very nice collectable Record, Preston (both English makers) and Stanley planes. Along the way I bought "Gentleman's" wall mounted tool chests made by Hammacher & Schlemeller and E.C. Jennings (also antiques), put in some removable shelves and use these to display my collection. I also use a 1924 lawyer's bookcase and an Arts & Crafts bookcase for my collection.

If you are concerned about dust then the next best thing is to build or buy glass enclosed display cases. As for me, I dust my collection every 2 to 3 years whether it needs it or not.

Steve,

Thanks for the solid tips. I'm looking at plans now for a large display cabinet that I will build in my shop.

Zach