PDA

View Full Version : Biscuit Depth of cut question

Raymond Fries
05-18-2010, 7:26 PM
I just got my PC biscuit jointer today. (Mini gloat):D

When I made a test cut for a #10 biscuit, the total width of the two cuts is almost 1/8" wider than the biscuit. Shouldn't this gap be closed to about 1/16" or so by reducing the depth of cut. It seems to me that when the biscuit swells from the glue it should about fill the space.

What do you guys do for depth of cut?

Is the factory setting for depth of cut really OK?

Dan Hahr
05-18-2010, 7:34 PM
Yes. The blade cuts in a perfect arc, but the biscuit is not. The oversized hole becomes annoying if you are using it for face frames that are exactly or just a hair smaller than the width of the cut. Otherwise, it gives some space for extra glue to pool and doesn't really hurt much.

Dan

Neil Brooks
05-18-2010, 7:37 PM
Mine was set okay, on arrival

Presuming (since you didn't say) that you've set the dial to the correct size of biscuit, then you may want to play around with the "Fine Adjustment."

Here ... if you don't have it handy:

OWNERS' MANUAL (http://www2.woodcraft.com/pdf/model557.pdf)

See Page 10.

Dave Beauchesne
05-18-2010, 7:40 PM
Raymond:

The oversized slot ( width ) also allows for some lateral adjustment in case the slots on both sides aren't lined up . It is easy to cut a bit on one side or the other of the marks ( been there, done that :o ) .

Have fun!

Dave Beauchesne

Peter Quinn
05-18-2010, 7:53 PM
Yup, biscuit slots are a bit sloppy by design on width. On some glue ups you need that lateral adjustability, and it makes things go quicker. You don't need the magnifying glass and the micrometer to set up for biscuits. Just make some pencil marks, aim for the line, punch the slots and move on. If you want joints that are highly precise and thus brutally strong I'd suggest mortise and tenon, not biscuits.

Van Huskey
05-18-2010, 8:56 PM
Raymond:

The oversized slot ( width ) also allows for some lateral adjustment in case the slots on both sides aren't lined up . It is easy to cut a bit on one side or the other of the marks ( been there, done that :o ) .

Have fun!

Dave Beauchesne

Ding ding ding, Dave and Peter are on target.

Chip Lindley
05-18-2010, 9:32 PM
The best you will do is to set the depth of cut *exactly* so the biscuit fits into both halves without excess. A too-deep slot also makes it longer, which may cause problems.

Fred Belknap
05-19-2010, 9:37 AM
I saw Norm building some cabinets and he was using a slot cut with a saw for biscuits. Said to be quicker and easier to line up.

Michael MacDonald
05-19-2010, 9:53 AM
ancillary note: I have seen a few NYW episodes where Norm puts a slot cutter bit in his router and just routes a long groove for installing a cabinet face frame. I do not own a plate joiner, and always use the same router slot-cut-bit as Norm used... I usually try to limit the cut to just what is needed, but it doesn't seem to matter too much. I suppose there might be some strength reduction in the wood or the joint, but I haven't seen the impact yet.