PDA

View Full Version : Maple Burl NE w/ finial

Bill Wyko
05-18-2010, 7:21 PM
I'm baaack. :D A bad finish turned into a good turning. I applied some water base stain to the lid of a jewelry box I'm working on. I didn't realize the rag had been used to remove wax. The lacquer on the lid looks like the surface of the moon now. I was so pissed that I decided to take my mind off it and dust off the lathe. Eric, my BIL and I just acquired about 70 to 80 turning blanks from an add on CL. I had never turned a NE like this one before so I figured it was time to try. What the heck, the rest of the day was shot anyway due to my finish episode. So here is my NE Maple Burl. I'm still not quite happy with the finish so I'll probably work on it some more now that I see pics. I'm on the fence with the lid too. Let me know which way you like it. Please enjoy either way.:D

Roland Martin
05-18-2010, 8:04 PM
That is a fantastic burl Bill and you did an amazing job on it. I love the form and the lid/finial just the way it is. From the pictures, I really can't see anything wrong with the finish either. This is a definite keeper!

John Keeton
05-18-2010, 8:11 PM
Bill, I love the maple burl. It is quickly becoming one of my favorites, and this is a beautiful piece. I like the lid and finial, as well, and the colors work very well.

However, I am still on the same fence with you - I looked at the pics a couple of times, and part of me says the lid overpowers the bowl.

Dennis Ford
05-18-2010, 8:35 PM
Great piece, I love the maple. The bowl and lid look just right to me. I would prefer that the finial transition from "onion" to "stem" a little lower but that is just personal preference. The finish looks good in the photo, you must be picky about that if you don't like it.

Joe Shinall
05-18-2010, 8:43 PM
Great turn Bill. That burl looks awesome. I'm with you and John as well. I like the lid, but I think it cleans it up too much. Could go either way on it. I keep taking a fresh look at it and not sure I know what to tell you.

Bill Wyko
05-18-2010, 8:46 PM
Thanks guys. For me, looking at the lid from the side works but from the top, it seems a little out of place. I hate when that happens. Maybe a little walnut foot for the bottom of the bowl would bring it together. It was a scary piece to turn though. It was so out of balance, the lathe was jumping. When I was hollowing it out, the long side was invisible so it gave me a good wack a time or 2.

Bernie Weishapl
05-18-2010, 8:46 PM
Good to see ya back turning Bill. Beautiful looking burl you have there. I like it.

Steve Schlumpf
05-18-2010, 10:01 PM
Bill - glad to see you doing some turning again!

Beautiful burl bowl! JMO, but I think the dark color of the lid competes with the burl for attention - and wins. If it was lighter in color - or better yet - turned out of the same burl - I believe the piece would look more balanced.

Nice work Bill! Looking forward to seeing what you turn next!

David E Keller
05-18-2010, 10:20 PM
Nice job with a pretty nice piece of wood. I like the idea of the lid, but I think the dark color is a bit overwhelming. Maybe a maple burl lid with a walnut finial?

I love the natural edge, and I'm truly envious of you if you got 70 or 80 blanks that look like that.

Don Alexander
05-18-2010, 10:24 PM
well i'm not nearly in the same league with Steve but +1 for what he said anyway :D

great looking bowl dontcha just love what shows up when you turn a piece of wood?

Baxter Smith
05-18-2010, 10:41 PM
The burl looks great but will agree with a lot of the others on the lid looking a little too strong on color/even grain compared to the NE burl.

Richard Madison
05-18-2010, 11:10 PM
Nice piece Bill. The lid needs to be smaller diameter so it will sit lower in the bowl. The edge of the lid should not be visible from the side, and a smaller diameter will make it appear less obtrusive from above.

Bill Wyko
05-19-2010, 12:09 AM
I think the lid will join the other oddities on the misfit shelf:o . I was hoping the simple grain and dark color would work together. I think the burl by itself, has such nice figure that it's better off standing alone. What the heck, it was worth a try.:D
I wish all the blanks were this nice. They are all pretty nice though. Pics soon.

Van Huskey
05-19-2010, 1:02 AM
I think the lid will join the other oddities on the misfit shelf:o . I was hoping the simple grain and dark color would work together. I think the burl by itself, has such nice figure that it's better off standing alone. What the heck, it was worth a try.:D
I wish all the blanks were this nice. They are all pretty nice though. Pics soon.

Nice try but I agree. The burl bowl is tunning on its own!

Jon Lanier
05-19-2010, 1:39 AM
I agree with Steve S. and I'll add that the finial needs to be thinner... but hey, I can't get finials figured out. Maybe I should use a roughing gouge when trying to make them. :rolleyes:

Mark Hubl
05-19-2010, 1:55 AM
Bill,

I like the the NE. Since I totally destroyed two finials today I really shouldn't be commenting, but. Your effort is good, agree with what has said about being a little thinner. I think Richard got it. If you make the the top smaller so it sits lower it will look better. Finish looks a little shiney for an NE, could be the photo though. Overall, great piece for a first attempt at an NE, especially with the top and finial.

Finials have humbled me for a while now. Waiting for Mr. Keeton's DVD to see if I can get them right.:D