PDA

View Full Version : RAS Blade

David Warkentin
05-18-2010, 6:35 PM
Hi I have an old Dewalt RAS MBF. Getting it going and I know that it takes a 9 inch blade. Do most people that use this saw use a 9 inch or just go with an easier to find 8 and a half? David

Jason Hallowell
05-18-2010, 8:08 PM
I just picked up an old MBF a couple weeks ago, and have been using an 8 1/2" Freud LU83 which was reccomended over on the Delphi forums. I'm sure the special order 9" blade from Forrest is better, but at less than half the cost the Freud works just fine for me.

Tim Sgrazzutti
05-18-2010, 8:49 PM
+1 on the Freud LU83R008. Nobody makes an appropriate 9" blade for this saw, and the only thing a 9" can do that an 8" can't, is bevel cut 2x lumber.

Van Huskey
05-18-2010, 8:54 PM
If I used it a lot I would get a 9" and get the value out of the more expensive blade.

I have a question about the thin kerf blade, I normally like full kerf blades on RAS so the blade doesn't wander. Is there an issue with power? I figured a true 3/4hp motor wouldn't have trouble with most crosscuts.

Jason Hallowell
05-18-2010, 9:07 PM
If I used it a lot I would get a 9" and get the value out of the more expensive blade.

I have a question about the thin kerf blade, I normally like full kerf blades on RAS so the blade doesn't wander. Is there an issue with power? I figured a true 3/4hp motor wouldn't have trouble with most crosscuts.

The motor does feel a little underpowered to me, but then again all I've used it for so far is crosscutting a bunch of 6/4 hardwoods (mesquite and rock maple). I was also a little worried about blade wander with the thin kerf, so I've been using a stiffener with mine.

David Warkentin
05-18-2010, 11:01 PM
Thanks for your answers. David

Dave Cav
05-19-2010, 12:54 AM
I have used blades from 8 to 9" in my MBC and MBF and the smaller blades seem to work a little better, and you don't lose much in capacity. However, if all you plan to do is crosscut I would recommend either the Freud LU91R008 (regular kerf) or LU91M008 (thin kerf). Both are a 48 tooth ATB zero hook angle blade which is more suitable for a RAS. The LU83 is a general purpose blade with a positive hook which will tend to self feed more on a RAS. That is, unless you also plan to rip on your RAS (I don't); then the LU83 would probably be a better choice as the LU91 blades aren't really made for ripping.

Don Jarvie
05-19-2010, 4:03 PM
I just picked up an old MBF a couple weeks ago, and have been using an 8 1/2" Freud LU83 which was reccomended over on the Delphi forums. I'm sure the special order 9" blade from Forrest is better, but at less than half the cost the Freud works just fine for me.

Same here. "Cuts like Buttaa"