PDA

View Full Version : Something Pointless to try

Frank Corker
05-18-2010, 10:20 AM
Here we go, cutting through butter, laser comes out next to bottom!

http://www.wimp.com/laserbutter/

Dee Gallo
05-18-2010, 10:29 AM
And almost pointless to watch! But makes you wonder how they spend all those research dollars, eh? :)

greg lindsey
05-18-2010, 10:29 AM
and to think about all the time i've wasted melting my buttter in the microwave...next time i bbq, laser cut brisket...:rolleyes::D

Dan Hintz
05-18-2010, 10:38 AM
Damn, blocked at work :(

Larry Bratton
05-18-2010, 10:56 AM
Boy things must be really slow in the UK if this is all those folks have to do. Totally useless info.

Neil Pabia
05-18-2010, 12:02 PM
I've been waiting patiently to get my laser and now this comes out and I may have to rethink my whole plan.;) I may have to put it on the back burner with my SawStop hot dog cutter.

Michael Wintermute
05-18-2010, 12:03 PM
Damn, blocked at work :(

But Dan you are the owner ... that's funny
Mike

Dan Hintz
05-18-2010, 12:09 PM
But Dan you are the owner ... that's funny
I'm the master of my own destiny... but from 8-5 someone else owns my backside ;)

Lee DeRaud
05-18-2010, 12:29 PM
These guys have no imagination: they've got a five-axis waterjet available and they cut through the butter in a straight line?!?
I want to see the followup video, "Carving Butter With A Waterjet".:cool:

Chuck Stone
05-18-2010, 6:39 PM
I I may have to put it on the back burner with my SawStop hot dog cutter.

I told the salesman I'd buy one if he stopped the blade with his finger.
He declined the sale. We take our excitement where we can find it.
There's not much to do in this little town, so we went down to the
Texaco station and jumped on the hose to make the bell ring.

Dan Hintz
05-18-2010, 6:56 PM
Pansy... I'd say "Sure!", raise the blade, then touch the side of it. But I guess salesmen don't think like engineers do...

Gary Hair
05-18-2010, 7:57 PM

Obviously you have never seen the owner of the company do this. I think it was on the show on the Discovery channel that used highspeed cameras to look at all kinds of stuff. I was impressed that he had the cajones to do it, but then again he BETTER believe in his product if he expects his customer to believe.

Gary

Bill Cunningham
05-18-2010, 10:26 PM
No imagination what-so-ever.. I would have taken it out to a field, and laid a shaped charge down the centre, combined with a few feet of B-line, a zero period cap, 100 feet of lead line and a good pushdown generator for the proper effect..

Andrea Weissenseel
05-19-2010, 3:12 AM
Next time I need some butter cut, I won't do it with my laser anymore - I give it out house to have it cut with water jet, the edges look a lot nicer :rolleyes: :D

Rodne Gold
05-19-2010, 4:01 AM
I have heard that fig newtons are cut using a waterjet - pasta too - dunno how true it is.

Dan Hintz
05-19-2010, 6:08 AM
Don't know about the pasta, but I've seen the machine for fig newtons... just your typical old blade (well, not typical, but it's a blade). I can't imagine it's any different for pasta... it's not a tough/abrasive material, so blade life would be significant.

Come to think of it, what kind of abrasive would you use in a waterjet that wouldn't foul the food?

Rodne Gold
05-19-2010, 8:01 AM
Google "fig newton waterjet"

Dan Hintz
05-19-2010, 8:31 AM
I found a number of sites that said Fig Newtons could be cut with a waterjet.

I found one link that said a guy speaking to a salesman for Flow International Corp at a trade show mentioned this is how it was done, though I could find no confirmation on their website. Even so, it at least answers my question about "can" it be done without contaminating the food with grit... further reading on their site says they cut with pure water.

Chances are very high the machine I saw was not at Nabisco (they're not the only ones who make fig cookies), so I made a generalization.

James Stokes
05-20-2010, 5:05 PM
I have also heard of twinkys being waterjet cut.

Bill Cunningham
05-25-2010, 8:52 PM
Come to think of it, what kind of abrasive would you use in a waterjet that wouldn't foul the food?

No abrasive at all Dan.. Just water.. We used waterjets to cut the wrapping off underwater pipelines. The water would cut right through the wrap, and not harm the metal. It was also quite invisible, so the diver had to be very careful where all his/her body parts are while cutting. I also made a plain water jet for cutting foam board to various shapes, when a company I worked for got a contract to use the foam board which was coated with fiberglass on the job site, to insulate huge beer vats at the Carling Brewery in Toronto back in the early 70's. Plain water is pretty darn hard stuff when it's traveling fast enough!