PDA

View Full Version : Disston No. 7 Handle build

Rick Markham
05-18-2010, 2:01 AM
So when I found my no. 7 Disston, at a local estate sale, my original intention in buying it was so that I could use the handle as a pattern to make some panel saw handles. I also wanted the saw too, I think it is pretty cool to have a piece of working American History, it's definitely going to get used.

I am a fledgling neander, and this is one of my favorite spots on sawmill creek, Y'all inspire me to try things a different way, more for the pleasure of the craft than a "means to the end" so to speak. I also have become exceptionally interested in both rehabbing older tools, and making my own.

Andrew Gibson inspired me with his saw builds to "get off my butt" and actually try and make a saw handle. This saw doesn't really need a new handle, but I have to entertain that little thing in my head that constantly asks... "can I make that?" Obviously this is my first attempt at anything remotely like this, and I am pleasantly surprised and excited to build some saws now.

So I had this piece of Wenge, laying around... A perfect sized piece of 8/4 scrap laying around, so I figured I'd either hate it or love it in the end. My experience with this particular board of Wenge, has been a double edged sword. It is super twisty, Lots of interlocked grain, and the grain switches direction every 4 to 6 inches in random directions, and is tricky (at best to work with.) Needless to say, I had no idea how it was going to turn out.

So lets get to the skinny... I traced the Disston handle using a sharpie (I really need to make a marking knife next) and rough cut the handle. Sharpie is terribly inaccurate for this operation :D But I never do anything "the easy way" :rolleyes:

This is the rough cut next to the original
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/Rick357/031.jpg

Then I roughly drew out the profile with chalk (am I the only one that loves chalk for this kinda thing) and started shaping with a Gramercy saw handle makers rasp (thanks for the suggestion Andrew) I just followed my instict on this part. (most of the chalk is gone already in the pic, but it has already served its purpose)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/Rick357/043.jpg

Now I am notorious about "getting ahead of myself" and I freely admit, never having worked in a "production shop" I often don't choose the wisest of "order of operations" If I had been smart I would have cut the kerf for the blade while the blank was whole and unshaped. So I have created a problem for myself. Ok before I get chastized and heckled off the Neander board, let me preface this pic with a warning... I have no Tenon saw (I will rectify this soon! I promise ;) ) so what follows is a gratuitous shot of my Laguna bandsaw (my sincere apologies) But I had to build a little jig to angle the handle properly for the blade kerf. This is something that would have been VERY simple with a tenon saw, but became complex, and potentially dangerous without one. I was very careful, and went very slow, and fully realized that I very quickly could have destroyed all my work so far. (grrrrr powertools) I also realized the risks to me and used a modified Push board to support the workpiece and to protect my hands should the handle bind due to the angle of the cut.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/Rick357/047.jpg

Now to make sure it fits right on the blade before drilling the holes, seems to be a perfect fit :)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/Rick357/045.jpg

So now before drilling the holes, then refining the shaping, and finishing, I have a question for y'all. I think the original saw handle needs to be returned to this blade, there is nothing wrong with it, and even though mine fits my hand better, I am thinking I should order a rip panel blade and put this handle on it. What do y'all think?

The LOML keeps me pretty busy so I hope to get to finish this soon, but in the interim time maybe I should be "waiting" on a shiny new saw plate for it? What do YOU think? :cool:

Will Brauneis
05-18-2010, 3:38 AM
Nice looking handle! Wenge is an interesting choice never thought of using it for something like this but i like it. Since you already made it for this saw you could put it on it and stick the old handle in a safe place and if you decide you don't like it just put the old one back on. It's your shop and your tools do what ever makes you happy.( If the 100% original police come you might want to say your just holding if for a friend though;)) When you order the new saw blade you can use the experiance gained form this one to make the second one better.

Keep up the good work
Will

Rick Erickson
05-18-2010, 7:08 AM
Man Rick. Nice execution. Couldn't you have picked an easier wood for your first saw handle :). I have difficulty turning pens in Wenge let alone a saw handle. I would preserve the 'old' saw with the 'old' handle and put this one on a new plate. Sign it and date it and give it to one of your kids (age appropriate of course). Great job!

Andrew Gibson
05-18-2010, 10:19 AM
Looks Great!
If you are planning on getting a new plate I would think about waiting for it to arrive, depending on the shape of the plate your kerf might not be at the right angle in the handle to bed at the back of the plate the way you want.

I'm glad that all my pics got you going on your own handle... the sad thing is that I think I want to keep an eye out for some amazing walnut and one day potentially replace the handles I made with some walnut ones... :o

Rick Markham
05-18-2010, 10:39 AM
Thanks guys! I appreciate it, Rick, I live by your sig line ;) ya never know unless you try. I think I am going to order a new plate, Andrew I definitely am going to wait, if the new plate doesn't fit the way I want it to, I will just drill and put the handle on the older plate. I figure it is a good excuse to get another plate. I will keep ya in mind, I should be going out to HLM soon (Jim Hamer's place) He has quite a bit of Walnut, I will dig through the stack and see if I see if there is anything with some great figure. PM me your cell phone number I'll send ya a pic via text message if I come across something. You can Yay or Nay it, besides it might be a good excuse to get together and talk some shop.

Johnny Kleso
05-18-2010, 11:50 AM
I think that Wenge was hit by lighting :)

I never seen any looking close to yours..