PDA

View Full Version : stand up drawings table

Andrew Hughes
05-18-2010, 12:02 AM
Here is the drawing table i finished last month.Walnut,Macassar ebony handles with red birch drawer sides and yellow cedar drawer bottoms.The front of the table stands 43inches tall.
I really enjoyed this project the design was left up to me.I thought it came out nice.The stand was built from 12,8,5quarter walnut trying for a heavy feel since it was going to be tall. Thanks for looking

andrew

Jim Tobias
05-18-2010, 6:45 AM
Very nice! I have often thought about making a table like that for the shop, but have decided against it because of floor space. Yours makes me want to rethink my decision.

Jim

John Schreiber
05-18-2010, 8:57 AM
Very beautiful. That will become a family heirloom.

Stephen Ash
05-18-2010, 10:52 AM
Wow, beautiful! Excellent grain selection on the aprons / drawer fronts, and those dovetails look stunning!

-Steve

Brian Effinger
05-18-2010, 12:26 PM
Beautiful table, Andrew. I wish my drafting table in college had looked that good.

Andrew Gibson
05-18-2010, 5:58 PM
Looks great!
It also looks like your shop floor is about as level as mine :D

Morgan Holt
05-19-2010, 8:15 PM
Andrew, I am new here, and had a question on your dovetail layout. Did you have a reason for switching directions of the dovetail in the back? I have found drawers with heavy things in them put pressure on the back and front as you open and close and objects slide forward and back. I imagine the glue surface is more than strong enough, but wondered if you considered it and why?
Thanks Morgan

Andrew Hughes
05-19-2010, 9:58 PM
Hi morgan,I haven't considered that they might get knocked out.Good point.I did get a good fit on the dt's.With the glue they should be able to take some good hits.I find it easy for me to lay out for the drawer sticking out the back.And i like the way it looks.
I dont like the way the half pin ends up in the middle of the drawer side.If i did the reverse.

Thanks to everyone's comments.