PDA

View Full Version : My new Lumber Rack

Donnie Raines
11-21-2004, 12:51 PM
A buddy of mine is a metal worker. He put this together for me a few weeks back. Dont know exactly what type of material it is...but he says the wall will fall before the rack breaks. There are 3 "post" that measure 7 foot tall. The top tier is 18 inch deep and the botom 3 tiers are 26 inchs deep. There are 4 bolts attaching this thing to the wall. I dont know what they weigh.....but a lot. I had about 60 bucks in material....and threw a few extras his way for the time. I have about 400 foot on it right now....and plenty of room to spare.... :D

Jim Becker
11-21-2004, 12:54 PM
Very nice solution, Donnie. Clean and functional. You may want to paint it with Rustolium, or similar, however, to avoid any staining on the material over time. It will only take a day or so and the effort may be worth it, IMHO.

Charles McKinley
11-21-2004, 1:45 PM
Hi Donnie,

I second Jim's paint suggestion. You got a real deal on that 2x2x1/4 square tubing for $60!!!

Jason Tuinstra
11-21-2004, 3:47 PM
Donnie, great solution!

Ted Shrader
11-21-2004, 7:08 PM
Donnie -

Tha rack makes great use of the space at the top near the garage door tracks, and down below where there is more room. I think your buddy is right about the wall coming down first.

Agree with the others, throw a little paint at it and you will be all set.

Regards,
Ted

Rob Russell
11-21-2004, 7:26 PM
Very nice solution, Donnie. Clean and functional. You may want to paint it with Rustolium, or similar, however, to avoid any staining on the material over time. It will only take a day or so and the effort may be worth it, IMHO.

It looks to me as if Donnie has a layer of particle board or MDF on top of the horizontal supports exactly for the purpose keeping the wood off of the steel.

Kelly C. Hanna
11-22-2004, 9:13 AM
Sweet lumber rack!! I am going to need one of those soon when I redo the shop.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-22-2004, 9:21 AM
Donnie....I'm jealous.....great rack....greater price!

Donnie Raines
11-22-2004, 9:43 AM
Thanks gents!

I was going to paint it....but after struggling to get it installed I was just to tired to worry about it...and yet I was excited to have it up so I restacked all my lumber.... :rolleyes:

The bottom tier rest on the floor(I did put some 1/4 ply under that to keep from staining the floor. By doing this it takes a good deal of the load off the wall it self. I did place some mdf across the tiers to keep the wood from resting on the metal...but also to have the option of stacking shorter stock there as well.

now I need more lumber to fill her up.... :cool: