PDA

View Full Version : Dry sink anyone?

Ben Davis
05-17-2010, 9:58 PM
Did an exhaustive search through the forum and didn't find any real dry sinks / garden sinks. Has anyone built one of these?? I'm looking for the usual ... what would you different, etc. I think the plans from Wood Magazine look pretty decent as a starting point!

Any help would be great.

Gary Breckenridge
05-17-2010, 10:22 PM
I'd go to a few antique shops and take my digital camera and a tape measure. Then I'd go to the library to look at pics of period furniture. Next would be a bing.com image search. These designs were never standardized nor mass produced. Measure the space and build from there. I'd try to use reclaimed wood and have a copper liner made.;)

Ben Davis
05-18-2010, 9:04 AM
My local library is the pits when it comes to these things. I will stop by there though. I'll do an image search and see what I can come up with from that angle.

I want closing doors so that I can hide the potting soil and othe less sitely items. It will have to go on the side of the house where the neighbors will have some view of it. The closest one lives about 300 yards away across a pond, so we're not right on top of each other.

I'm thinking cypress, as cedar is somewhat hard to come by for me. Maybe PT pine since it will be outside so much. My concern there, of course, is the warping and the doors. Hard to say! Maybe a breadboard edge on the doors will help keep them flat.

Cody Colston
05-18-2010, 2:00 PM
Norm has plans for one.

http://www.newyankee.com/getproduct.php?0413

Ben Davis
05-18-2010, 9:30 PM
Appreciate the NYW link. I totally forgot that Norm built one!

Here are the ones that I've looked into:
http://www.woodstore.net/pottingbench1.html
http://plansnow.com/gardenproj2.html

Philip Rodriquez
05-19-2010, 9:30 AM
I've made the NYW dry sink. It is a pretty simple project and the wife loved it!

Ben Davis
05-19-2010, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the head's up Philip. Is there anything you wish you would have done differently? I like the simple lay out, but, since the neighbors will see some of the stuff, I think that doors might be in order. Basically a design with the format of the PlansNow design, but with doors like the Wood Magazine design. Do you think the doors would just get in the way?

Morgan Holt
05-19-2010, 9:35 PM
I am a landscape contractor in Phoenix, and our weather does not work well for wood outdoors. Wood warps and cracks badly so I have built potting benchs a top made of Hardibacker, and thin set tile on it. That will handle all kinds of weather and temps without an issue. Cantilever it over the doors and such to protect it from weather some as well. We usually just use an old sink for the dry side. Plumb it with a drain to get the water away.
Morgan

Joe Cunningham
05-20-2010, 8:52 AM
Woodworking magazine made one too. Spring 2009 (http://www.woodworkersbookshop.com/product/print-issue-woodworking-magazine-issue-13-ndash-spring-2009/woodworking-magazine)

I planned to make one sometime in the future using this as a model, though I was going to scale it down for my living room.

Ben Davis
05-20-2010, 11:10 AM
I am a landscape contractor in Phoenix, and our weather does not work well for wood outdoors. Wood warps and cracks badly so I have built potting benchs a top made of Hardibacker, and thin set tile on it. That will handle all kinds of weather and temps without an issue. Cantilever it over the doors and such to protect it from weather some as well. We usually just use an old sink for the dry side. Plumb it with a drain to get the water away.
Morgan

I do like the idea of Hardibacker with tiles. That could work out very well actually. I'll have to do some look at that option. The local Lowes always seems to have tile patterns on sale. I'm sure I could find some agreeable color that would work great. I'll look at an overhanging front edge. This would be in just about the opposite environment from Pheonix though. It's going on the northeast face of the home which is heavily shaded throughout most of the day. A far cry from the scorching sun and arid climate you are so accustomed to.

Woodworking magazine made one too. Spring 2009 (http://www.woodworkersbookshop.com/product/print-issue-woodworking-magazine-issue-13-ndash-spring-2009/woodworking-magazine)

I planned to make one sometime in the future using this as a model, though I was going to scale it down for my living room.

I'm thinking more of an outside piece with less furniture details than those. It has to be something I'm willing to leave with the house!

Joe Cunningham
05-20-2010, 11:44 AM
Maybe do a search on potting stand. That might turn up what you are looking for.

From what I understand, a dry sink is usually an indoor furniture piece used before plumbing was widespread. You have a pitcher and basin, but no direct water connection. At least that is how I've mostly seen the term used.

Philip Rodriquez
05-21-2010, 4:27 PM
Thanks for the head's up Philip. Is there anything you wish you would have done differently? I like the simple lay out, but, since the neighbors will see some of the stuff, I think that doors might be in order. Basically a design with the format of the PlansNow design, but with doors like the Wood Magazine design. Do you think the doors would just get in the way?

I used floating panels for the sides and the back (vs. solid wood). In all, I think I had about 140 M&T joints. I'm going to be making a bigger one in a few weeks. It is about 5 years old and still looks great!

Jason White
05-23-2010, 5:49 PM
Here's one that I just built from plans in one of Bill Hylton's books. I made it out of reclaimed fir and eastern white pine. Jason

Did an exhaustive search through the forum and didn't find any real dry sinks / garden sinks. Has anyone built one of these?? I'm looking for the usual ... what would you different, etc. I think the plans from Wood Magazine look pretty decent as a starting point! Any help would be great.