PDA

View Full Version : First Woodworking Project

Kevin Gagne
05-17-2010, 8:26 PM
Well I just finished my first project and have a lot of you to thank for answering my questions. This is a closet system that I designed, built, finished and installed for my wife. It was a lot of work and I learned a lot. I am happy with the results and the wife is very happy and ready to start on the next project. Let me know what you think, all comments welcome. Thanks again for all the hekp. -Kevin

Paul Wunder
05-17-2010, 8:42 PM
Wow!! Furniture quality work in a closet. Dovetails and all. No wonder your wife is pleased!

Ray Newman
05-17-2010, 8:50 PM
Very nice work!

Prashun Patel
05-17-2010, 8:59 PM
Lucky wife. Nice execution!

Matthew Hills
05-17-2010, 9:55 PM
Looks very nice! I've now done a couple of closet systems for our place, and you've done a very nice job. Wanted to ask if you had any full-length hanging space? (I usually tried to leave some for dresses/bathrobes/etc. -- works well for putting laundry hamper underneath, too)

What did you use for edging your plywood? and what drawer slides did you use?

Matt

Joe A Faulkner
05-17-2010, 10:25 PM
Nice work Kevin. I really like the top shelf. It looks like you did your homework on the design. How wide did you make your face frames? The dimensions/proportions look great.

Baxter Smith
05-17-2010, 11:00 PM
Nice work!

Van Huskey
05-17-2010, 11:05 PM
Very nice work!

Ken Fitzgerald
05-17-2010, 11:09 PM
Very nice for any project, let alone your first! Very nicely done sir!

Don Morris
05-17-2010, 11:50 PM
Balooney, first project, no way. You've done this for years and your just spoofing us. That's the way it looks. Bravo! Sure want to see your next projects. Thanks for sharing.

Phil Thien
05-17-2010, 11:54 PM
Wow! You're a natural!

Dave MacArthur
05-18-2010, 12:12 AM
Great work, really well done for any skill level, let alone first project!

Kevin Gagne
05-18-2010, 12:43 AM
Hi Matt, On the far right and left there is a space for full length hanging. The rod is not inthe picture I posted though. I used Fastedge for the edging. I am very happy with the product. I used a lot of it because the drawer fronts are all edged. I used a single sheet of plywood so that the grain would match on all the units. I use Blum Tandem undermount with Blumotion for the slides.

Kevin Gagne
05-18-2010, 12:46 AM
Hi Joe, The face frames are 1 1/2" wide. I designed it on SketchUp first and then did some sample pieces to make sure everything looked good.

Victor Robinson
05-18-2010, 4:26 AM
If this is your first project, all I can say is it's going to be a rough go of it in woodworking for you, buddy. :D

Ray McCullie
05-18-2010, 5:26 AM
It really looks great man! Kudos. How long did that take you?

Rick Markham
05-18-2010, 10:20 AM
Thats really awesome! Good job!!! I'm sure she is pleased (you can tell, she couldn't wait to start putting her stuff up), it looks like you have "doomed" yourself to a whole world worth of new "honey do" list items :eek: I can't wait to see how your kitchen cabinets are going to turn out, the bathroom cabinets, and of course, that new built in bookcase system in the living room...:p

Just kidding man ;) Great job, that's an amazing first project! Really very pretty, and well executed! Now ya just need to come out of the closet (sorry couldn't resist) and show off your new skillz :D

Shawn Albe
05-18-2010, 10:39 AM
Damn, that looks fantastic. I must've missed your earlier posts, but it sounds like you used cherry ply with that edge banding for the drawers and then solid cherry for the face frames? Finish was...?

Stephen Ash
05-18-2010, 10:49 AM
Very very nice! I'm sure you can expect many more 'orders' from your top customer :)

-Steve

gary Zimmel
05-18-2010, 11:08 AM
Sweet job on that first project Kevin.
Looking forward to the next one...

Neil Brooks
05-18-2010, 11:12 AM
Fantastic work !!

Will you travel ??

I've got the shop, but ... no WAY mine's going to turn out that nice :)

Kevin Gagne
05-18-2010, 12:52 PM
Thanks everyone for the nice comments. Yes the Honey Do list is long now with lots of projects.

For the finish I started with Zinsser Wax-Free Shellac and thinned it 50% with alcohol and sanded once it was dry. Then I applied one coat of Minwax Cherrywood Gel Stain. Once that dried I put on two coats of fast drying satin finish poly and sanded, then applied another coat and sanded and finished up with a fourth coat. The finishing took a while but I didn't end up with much blotchyness from the Cherry so I was happy with that.

I guess I set the bar high for my next project :D

Johnnyy Johnson
05-21-2010, 1:25 PM
Kevin...What is the drawer box and bottom made of? Is it Baltic Birch for the sides.

Thanks
JJ

Kevin Gagne
05-21-2010, 1:35 PM
1/2" solid maple for the sides and 1/4" maple plywood for the bottom.