PDA

View Full Version : Delta 46-460 versus General Maxi Lathe VF

Dan Cannon
05-17-2010, 2:45 PM
Ok, I know most of you are probably tired of the "which lathe is better" threads, but I couldn't find much info on the General (25-114 M1) and was hoping for some comparison.
I recently thought I was getting an indefinite loaner lathe, but that deal fell through. I think I talked up woodturning a little too much and ended up talking the owner into wanting to pick it up again. So there went my loaner. :o
Anyway, I think I'm starting to come to grips with the fact that I cannot afford a full sized lathe at this time. I know it would be better to wait until I can, but that will be a while, and I want to start turning! So, I think I've decided on what is important to me: one is swing, I want at least 12". One is power, 1/2" HP doesn't seem like enough. One is EVS, because one of the attractions of turning to me is making something out of seemingly scrap. I know I won't always have perfect starting blanks, and I want the slow speeds to rough them out.

Sooo, trying to stay under $600 for the lathe, and for overall versatility, I've been pondering the idea of the Delta 46-460. any owners here have them? like it, hate it? What is it capable of?? While at Woodcraft, the General Maxi Lathe VF caught my eye. The 14" swing is appealing, but I'm wondering if you can actually take advantage of it with the 3/4" HP motor. Anyone have this one or turned on it??

Finally, are there any other lathes that would be considered the best bang for the buck, under $600, that are capable of small to medium bowls and vessels, that I'm missing?

Thanks everyone in advance. I'm hoping one day to stop posting about this stuff and start posting pictures of turnings!! :D

Dan

alex carey
05-17-2010, 3:10 PM
its gonna be tough to find anyone with the GI 114 since its a new lathe. The delta on the other hand people seem to love. Can't go wrong with it.

I used to have the GI 25-200 and I did like that lathe a lot. IMO they are very different though. For some odd reason the GI and even the delta have larger swings over the bed yet they both weigh 50# less. The larger your turning the heavier you want your lathe to be. The 25-200 also had a swiveling/sliding headstock and a outboard rest. It is however more expensive.

I'm guessing the 25-114 will be a nice little lathe, but you'll have to make a heavy duty stand for it. The delta on the other hand is has been tested by several members here and everyone seems to love it. It's probably the safer bet.

Could you try turning on the GI anywhere?

http://www.general.ca/site_general/g_produits/lathe/25-200.html

Cathy Schaewe
05-17-2010, 9:04 PM
I have the 46-460, and I love it, and I think you'll find most owners of that lathe feel the same. Here are a couple of threads and a review to look at:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=132133&highlight=delta+46-460
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=132028&highlight=delta+46-460
http://woodworking.about.com/od/recommendations/gr/Delta46-460.htm

Dick Strauss
05-17-2010, 10:28 PM
Don,
All of the things I've heard about the Delta 46-460 have been good except a little glitch with the speed controller that Delta seems to be addressing. It is a nice little machine from what I can tell after playing with one at a friend's house for a few hours. It seems to be well built, it has easy belt changes (for speed ranges only), is very smooth overall, and has good fit and finish.

I have a Delta 1440 with a 14" swing and a 3/4 hp motor. I can stall the motor if I take a big bite, especially on a 12" bowl. Keep in mind that I can easily stall a 2 hp PM3520 on a heavy cut into a 12" bowl as well. You learn to work with the power you have.

Alex,
I think the manufacturers like Delta tried to make their midi lathes light enough to be portable without sacrificing too much stability.

Good luck,
Dick

Bernie Weishapl
05-17-2010, 11:47 PM
I have turned on the 46-460 my neighbor bought. It is a sweet machine. If I didn't have the Jet 1220 I would have bought the Delta had it been out.

Rob Fargher
05-18-2010, 2:24 AM
While at Woodcraft, the General Maxi Lathe VF caught my eye. The 14" swing is appealing, but I'm wondering if you can actually take advantage of it with the 3/4" HP motor. Anyone have this one or turned on it??

I'm in much the same situation as you. No lathe and looking at the Maxi Lathe VF. I'm also a "pre-novice" turner, BTW. :D

I was in the local toy store this past weekend and encountered the General sales manager for western Canada & the US. I was asking him about the Maxi Lathe VF. He said they introduced it to compete head to head with the Delta and that they've not been able to keep any in stock. The new stock will have reverse as well, as a new feature.

I asked about the 3/4 HP motor and how limiting would it be. He stated that it is a DC motor which has lots of torque at low speed and that I'd probably have difficulty in bogging it down.

He also had some interesting things to say about Steve Gass and SawStop now *refusing* to license their saw brake technology to other manufacturers.

--
Cheers,
Rob

Patrick Doody
05-18-2010, 10:16 AM
I'm a pretty new turner, I've used 4 different lathes to date, a jet 1220, central machinery, an omega Stubby, and my Delta 46-460.

I'm extremely happy with my delta, so far it does everything i've asked of it, and I don't think i'll want to "upgrade" any time soon. I'm extremely satisfied with the Delta. I don't think you'll find too many Delta owners that will say "Buy the General Lathe".

Steve Schlumpf
05-18-2010, 12:51 PM
Dan - I don't know anything about the General but the specs look pretty good. Lot of folks are very happy with their Deltas and if I was in the market for a smaller lathe - I would seriously check into it.

No matter which lathe you end up with - you will enjoy it! Looking forward to seeing your new lathe gloat and some of your work real soon!

Justin Stephen
05-18-2010, 1:33 PM
I don't think you'll find too many Delta owners that will say "Buy the General Lathe".

I'm a Delta owner who sure wouldn't mind that extra 1.5" of swing. Of course, if I had a 14" swing I'd covet a 15.5" swing, ad infinitum. Other than swing envy, I am thrilled with the Delta so far.

Greg Haugen
05-18-2010, 3:44 PM
Delta 46-460 is the top of the class, hands down. The new General has a bigger swing but a smaller motor (3/4 in the general and 1 hp in the 46-460). The other thing I'll note about the new general is that the tailstock is very under built. Tailstocks don't take much abuse but by removing it when bowl turning, etc. you're more likely to break the general's than you are the Delta's. I have the Delta 46-460 and it's a sweet machine. Delta did their homework with it. Larger motor, 5 year warranty, as well as the "fit and finish" of the Delta are excellent.

Alan Tolchinsky
05-18-2010, 5:26 PM
I too have the Delta and like it very much. It's a high quality machine that's very smooth and quiet with no annoying traits so far. The tail stock locks down securely and does not move. The variable speed and reverse features are great. I feel like I've gotten a very high quality machine like some of the big expensive boys but just smaller specs. And of course at a smaller price. I don't know what more you could ask of a machine; all good traits and no annoyances. There are machines that cost less and from what I can tell you get less. It would be great if you could try the Delta out. Good luck with your decision.

Dan Cannon
05-18-2010, 9:23 PM
Thanks for all the feedback folks. That Delta sure has a loyal following. That's hard to ignore, and probably has made up my mind. The general seems like a good machine, but I noticed the tailstock too Greg, and I THINK the levers are plastic. Maybe I'm sweating the small stuff, but to me it makes a difference.

Kyle Iwamoto
05-18-2010, 9:34 PM
Other than swing envy, I am thrilled with the Delta so far.

Swing envy...... Gotta laugh on that one.

I'll also have to say that I have not experience with the General, but sure wish the Delta was out when I bought my Jet Mini. More power and reverse. But then, I would not have an excuse to upgrade to a 16 or 20. Speaking of swing envy.....

Dusty Fuller
05-20-2010, 12:47 AM
I've had a General Int. 25-200 VS+ for a couple of years. I've turned a few pens but do mostly bowls in the 7-14 inch range, and even a couple of sycamore "plates". The motor is strong enough, though I don't go plowing into a 14" walnut blank with a 3/4 bowl gouge. I would buy another in a heartbeat, due to the weight and inboard/outboard. I've been using the outboard quite a bit lately.

That said, you're not asking about the 25-200. I'm with the others on the tailstock of the 25-114. It could be fine, but I find my self asking "Why'd they do that?" The tailstocks on all of the other "International" models don't look like that. It may have more swing, but I don't trust the tailstock or the overall lack of beef. I could be wrong, having never seen it in person or turned on it.

Until the 25-114 gets some mileage on its name, I'd say get the Delta and don't look back. It won't be long until you're looking forward (see any thread with the words "Mustard", "Mayonnaise", "Serious", "VB-36", "3520B", etc. in the title). I'm looking forward too, but my wife and I are expecting our first child somewhere around January of 2011 and another lathe is a good ways off.

Anybody catch the stealth gloat???

Dan Cannon
05-20-2010, 2:02 PM
I'm looking forward too, but my wife and I are expecting our first child somewhere around January of 2011 and another lathe is a good ways off.

Anybody catch the stealth gloat???

Dusty,
January of 2011, you must have just found out! Congratulations!!
So, are you selling your lathe then? I mean, you won't have time to turn anymore, right?

Dusty Fuller
05-20-2010, 10:24 PM
Sell the lathe? Not a chance. I have established a sanctuary out in the shed! I can always get my border collie to watch the kid...

Steve Kubien
05-20-2010, 11:51 PM
Not very stealthy but one helluva gloat! Congrats.