PDA

View Full Version : Easy Rougher - Mini or Full Size??

Jenn Hill
05-17-2010, 12:28 PM
Hi all,
I am considering getting an Easy Rougher Carbide tool.
I have the Delta 46-460 and I usually do smaller things. Would you recommend the full size tools or the minis. I like the minis because of the price but i will spend more if need be. Does anyone have them? The problem I've had in the past with mini tools (Robert Sorby) is that the handles are so small it feel like you are right up on your work. If I get the full sized tools, should I get the Ci1 or Ci2? What are the pros and cons of either one? Your comments and suggestions are appreciated.
Jenn

Gene Hintze
05-17-2010, 1:35 PM
I have a Delta 46-460 as well and find it to be a very nice piece of equipment. I am turning mostly bowls and use the Easy Wood Tools finisher (Ci0) mostly for the inside of bowls or when doing some concave work on the exteriors of bowls. For a carbide tipped rougher I have The Peeler from J&B Tools out of Gulfport MS. It is essentially the same tool as the full size easy rougher from Easy Wood Tools except it costs only $50 and the replacement carbide tips are only $4. I think J&B also makes and Easy Finisher clone now as well. I have gotten to the point where I do virually all my work with the 2 carbide tools. For the work I do I like the full size tools.

Cathy Schaewe
05-17-2010, 1:51 PM
I also have the Delta 46-460, and I have the Ci2 - and I wouldn't want it to be any larger. It has a 16" handle, which I think is plenty. I also have the ci3 mini and the ci4. The 3 and 4 are smaller (shorter handles - 12") than the 2, but not so short that I feel like I'm too close to the work. All in all, though, it's always a matter of personal preference. I think you'd be happy with the Ci2, but take a look at your tools and the ones you find most comfortable, and that will probably give you your answer.

Here's a chart with the specs on all their tools, if you haven't seen it already: http://easywoodtools.com/EWT%20Master%20Retail.pdf

Jenn Hill
05-17-2010, 3:44 PM
Thanks Cathy,
The spec sheet is great. I didn't know they make midi tools.

Jenn Hill
05-17-2010, 3:49 PM
My mistake, they categorize the Ci2 as a midi tool. and the Ci1 as a full size. I'll probably get the Ci2.