PDA

View Full Version : New Tools needed have about $1500-$2000

Tom Rash
05-17-2010, 12:02 PM
Hello everyone,

I am looking for a planer, jointer, bandsaw and possibly a drill press.

With that budget what would you guys recommend? I have been think about the
G0452 6" Jointer - 470 shipped
G0555 The Ultimate 14" Bandsaw - 500 Shipped
Dewalt 735 - Lowes has this for 600, but have been moving the price around lately. I have seen it as low as I believe 535.

I was hoping the HD in my area would have the clearance on the BS, Jointers and DP that the other parts of the country have had, but no such luck. I have been checking craigslist almost daily, but not much comes up.

I gave a range for the price because I know if I send 1500, i would get responses saying if you just spent xxxx you could get more. So 2k is pretty firm. I am hoping to get some nice pieces that would last me for a long time.

Thanks for the help. I am open to ideas on where the money should go.

Jim Terrill
05-17-2010, 12:09 PM
Where geographically are you located? People may be able to guide you to deals if they know where you are.

tyler mckenzie
05-17-2010, 12:10 PM
Search craigslist. Your money will go a lot farther if you know your stuff.

Cary Falk
05-17-2010, 12:29 PM
The only comment I have is to save some money by getting the Ridgid planer over the Dewalt. The Ridgid gets excellent reviews and $5-600 for a lunchbox planer is crazy IMHO.

Jim Terrill
05-17-2010, 12:32 PM
The only comment I have is to save some money by getting the Ridgid planer over the Dewalt. The Ridgid gets excellent reviews and $5-600 for a lunchbox planer is crazy IMHO.

Meh. I have the ridgid, but the dewalt with its ability to take an shelix head is pretty attractive. The ridgid is nice, don't get me wrong, but there is no upgrade path with the machine.

Zach England
05-17-2010, 12:37 PM
Steel City planer comes with a Helical head for $600.

Jim Terrill
05-17-2010, 12:42 PM

That planer is identical to the ridgid! Wonder what the cost would be for just the cutterhead (or if they will even sell it separately).

Tom Rash
05-17-2010, 1:17 PM
I am in east amherst, ny. Right outside Buffalo Ny.

Eric DeSilva
05-17-2010, 1:28 PM
I am in east amherst, ny. Right outside Buffalo Ny.

+1 for being patient and scouring CL...

Zach England
05-17-2010, 1:41 PM
That planer is identical to the ridgid! Wonder what the cost would be for just the cutterhead (or if they will even sell it separately).

Do you think it is an improvement over the ridgid, cutterhead aside?

I am thinking about ditching my ridgid and upgrading to either this or DW735.

Jason White
05-17-2010, 3:11 PM
I have the Ridgid jointer and drill press. For the money you really can't go wrong with either. Jason

Hello everyone, I am looking for a planer, jointer, bandsaw and possibly a drill press. With that budget what would you guys recommend? I have been think about the G0452 6" Jointer - 470 shipped G0555 The Ultimate 14" Bandsaw - 500 Shipped Dewalt 735 - Lowes has this for 600, but have been moving the price around lately. I have seen it as low as I believe 535. I was hoping the HD in my area would have the clearance on the BS, Jointers and DP that the other parts of the country have had, but no such luck. I have been checking craigslist almost daily, but not much comes up. I gave a range for the price because I know if I send 1500, i would get responses saying if you just spent xxxx you could get more. So 2k is pretty firm. I am hoping to get some nice pieces that would last me for a long time. Thanks for the help. I am open to ideas on where the money should go.

Jim Terrill
05-17-2010, 3:14 PM
Do you think it is an improvement over the ridgid, cutterhead aside?

I am thinking about ditching my ridgid and upgrading to either this or DW735.

Looking at the pictures, it's the exact same machine. Same knobs, same switches, same locations for everything. The only difference is the color and the cutterhead. So I don't see how it is an improvement or not, since there is nothing that was changed other than the cutterhead.

Brodie Brickey
05-17-2010, 3:20 PM
Seriously check CraigsList & Ebay. A lot of surplus tools are being sold cheap due to companies closing. I got an 8" jointer for 250.

Don Jarvie
05-17-2010, 3:45 PM
Are you willing to clean up some used tools? If so, you can save a boat load of money.

You may have to keep your eye on the list but nice used machines are on the list all the time but you need to clean them up.

Tom Rash
05-17-2010, 3:55 PM
I am definitely not opposed to buying used. I have just not had any luck finding much on Craigslist.

glenn bradley
05-17-2010, 4:20 PM

That is not a carbide insert head. ;) HSS and not much of it.

Louie Ballis
05-17-2010, 4:21 PM
Hello everyone,

Dewalt 735 - Lowes has this for 600, but have been moving the price around lately. I have seen it as low as I believe 535.

I was hoping the HD in my area would have the clearance on the BS, Jointers and DP that the other parts of the country have had, but no such luck. I have been checking craigslist almost daily, but not much comes up.

I gave a range for the price because I know if I send 1500, i would get responses saying if you just spent xxxx you could get more. So 2k is pretty firm. I am hoping to get some nice pieces that would last me for a long time.

Good choice on the bandsaw (gizz 555). and on the ridgid planer.

As far as table saws go I will tell you that I went thru two very cheap ones and one moderate priced one before I bought a cabinet saw (gzz. 1023). Looking back I should have bought the cabinet saw after the first inexpensive table saw.

Good luck and search the forums here as there is a wealth of information availible

Louie

Cary Falk
05-17-2010, 5:06 PM
The ridgid is nice, don't get me wrong, but there is no upgrade path with the machine.

This is the upgrade path from every lunchbox.:D
http://cdn4.grizzly.com/pics/jpeg288/g/g0453z.jpg

Stephen Cherry
05-17-2010, 5:14 PM
I agree with everyone about craigslist. You need know what you want and to look every day. http://www.searchtempest.com/ lets you search multiple boards.

The best thing about used is that you could also sell, if you find a tool dosen't meet your needs.

Ebay is good too, but the last thing you need to be involved in is a bidding war.

Van Huskey
05-17-2010, 7:26 PM
Either new or used I would suggest thinking about buying 1 or 2 tools that you can use for many years and will be less likely to want/need to upgrade.

Brendan Plavis
05-17-2010, 7:34 PM
Hello everyone,

Lowes are marking down the Delta's(you can usually only get floor models now) to about $319(I think thats what I paid for mine before uncle sam took his 7% cut...) in pretty good condition(was missing a few pieces, but Delta/DeWalt(says on the thank you for contacting us card) quickly cleared it up, sending all the parts out free(first time they didnt even get the serial... opps) although I should have asked for a few more pieces...)

I have also seen the same brand's Drill Presses going for the same price... the big ol' floor ones... But, this is subject to the availability/willingness to get sub-new/ price(even I should have tried to negotiate lower, but I doubt the grandparents would have assisted...)

Not to mention it saves you from having to assemble.... :)

I think, for that and a band, after 7% curtousy of Uncle Sam, it was about $350....

Paul Wunder
05-17-2010, 8:50 PM
Tom,

Have you considered the DeWalt 734. Very respectable performance at 1/2 the 735 price. Excellent reviews (latest from Wood Magazine a few months back. I caught mine for $300 at Lowes in my neighborhood.

Rick Markham
05-18-2010, 12:26 AM
Meh. I have the ridgid, but the dewalt with its ability to take an shelix head is pretty attractive. The ridgid is nice, don't get me wrong, but there is no upgrade path with the machine.

The newer Ridgid (the only one they sell at the BORG now) The 4330, Byrd makes a shelix head for (Costs more than I paid for the planer though :rolleyes:)

Dave MacArthur
05-18-2010, 12:37 AM
I agree to not purchase new unless you have to have the tool tomorrow. I have all the "Best Tools 200X" for the last 6 years from Popular Woodworking (or Fine Woodworking, whichever one puts that yearly issue out). So I'm taking their "best value" recommendations into account here also.

PLANER-- DeWalt 735. I've bought two of them off CL for $350 and $400, both had the extension tables, one of them came on a very well built rolling shop cart! If not this model, then the DW 734 or the Rigid, both highly rated.

DRILL PRESS: Delta 17-950L floor model, on clearance now at Lowe's for $319, you could get floor model for less. I researched drill presses for 6 months, this is a good model and good price. There are several great mods to it published here including a mobile base, wood storage base, super table, etc. Call around to area Lowes and get this one, it is good enough to be your "final drill press" at a good price too.

BANDSAW: I might just go with your G0555X, folks with them love them. In your budget range, it's decent. HOWEVER, there are 14" Delta and Jet band saws on CL every day, probably 7 right now today in Phoenix. IF you know what you're looking at, you can get a good deal on them often.

JOINTER: New, I'd buy the biggest Grizzly you can afford. However, you can often find used DJ20s (classic Delta 8" Norm-style) for $400-$500, I bought mine that way.

That comes to $1700ish and gives you 4 tools you won't need to upgrade next year, or find yourself wishing you hadn't bought.

You didn't mention a table saw, but you can go a long ways with a good circular saw and zero-clearance guide, maybe $200, if you're working sheetgoods. If you purchase one, I'd go with Grizzly 1023 new, or wait for PM66 or Unisaw or Griz used (or any other comparable ones, I just don't see them too much). You might have more General up your way.

Good luck! Trust me, if you're not in a hurry, shopping for the tools on Craig's List is a LOT of the fun!

(As an example, here's what's in the Phoenix CL tonight that would work for you:)
May 12 - Dewalt Portable Planer - (http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/tls/1721435981.html) $200 DW734
May 11 - Rigid Planer - (http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/tls/1735172502.html) $300
Apr 30 - Dewalt DW735 Planer - (http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/tls/1718813608.html) $350
May 13 - Jet JJ-6OS Jointer - (http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/tls/1739367268.html) $300
May 13 - Jet JDP-17MF Drill Press - (http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/tls/1739352765.html) $300
May 13 - Jet JWBS-14CS/OS Bandsaw - (http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/tls/1739342897.html) $300

All nice looking tools, so enjoy the hunt! I even enjoyed looking for these tonight ;)

Jim Terrill
05-18-2010, 9:25 AM
The newer Ridgid (the only one they sell at the BORG now) The 4330, Byrd makes a shelix head for (Costs more than I paid for the planer though :rolleyes:)

Hmm, news to me, looking it up it looks like it's $439. http://www.holbren.com/byrd-shelix-head-for-ridgid-r4330-13_planer.html

Rick Markham
05-18-2010, 10:05 AM
Yeah Jim, I have had my eye on it for awhile now, hard to bring myself to purchase something that puts my lunchbox in the price range of a 15" floor model, and will definitely outlast the planer itself. I can justify it by the fact that I do not have room for the floor model in my shop though, which is why (other than everything great I have read about them) I haven't ordered one yet. As for the 4330 mine has been great, I have no complaints about it, it eats everything I feed it :D The shelix head would be nice for some of the more tangles woods I come across... hmmm maybe it's time to take the plunge... (God, I can justify anything... is there a Woodworkers Anonymous?)

Jim Terrill
05-18-2010, 10:09 AM
Yeah Jim, I have had my eye on it for awhile now, hard to bring myself to purchase something that puts my lunchbox in the price range of a 15" floor model, and will definitely outlast the planer itself. I can justify it by the fact that I do not have room for the floor model in my shop though, which is why (other than everything great I have read about them) I haven't ordered one yet. As for the 4330 mine has been great, I have no complaints about it, it eats everything I feed it :D The shelix head would be nice for some of the more tangles woods I come across... hmmm maybe it's time to take the plunge... (God, I can justify anything... is there a Woodworkers Anonymous?)

Ask over in the turning forum. You could probably carpool. The other thing to do is ask grizzly if they can special order the head, their prices in bryd heads are much lower that anyone else, though they don't appear to sell this model.

For example, the head I was looking at for my jointer:
From Holbren: http://www.holbren.com/byrd-shelix-head-for-jet-jj6-6-jointer.html
From Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Byrd-Tool-H7764-Shelix-Cutterhead/dp/B000E9LVHS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1274192611&sr=8-1

$100 difference....

Tom Rash
05-19-2010, 7:35 AM
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I am going to continue to look at Craigslist as I am not in a huge rush, but would like to have them by the fall. Thanks again.

Rick Markham
05-19-2010, 8:42 AM
Yeah, thats a pretty big price difference. I did notice that the prices seemed better in the grizzly catalog I just got. Probably a result of purchasing in quantity, which mean a special order might not be much better. It never hurts to ask though.

Yeah, I have been lurking in the turning forum. I will admit it is something I really want to try my hand at, however, spinning things opens a whole new level of addiction. Not sure I am ready to take this already expensive fascination I have to an exponential level. I've recently aquired the hand tool bug, and that's a big one too. Not sure I can justify things going round and round... sure does look like fun though... The less I know, the better:rolleyes:

Nathan Palenski
05-19-2010, 9:16 AM
If you were dead set on a smaller dewalt planer I'd get the 733. It doenst use the disposable knives. They sounded like a good idea at first, especially since they're double sided but if you get a nick in all three you cant slide one to the side and a new set is $55.

I have the 735 and I'm going to trade up to a stationary here soon. I like having separate a jointer and planer but if I were to do it over again with new equipment I'd think hard about one of the 15" jointer planer combo. A single shelix cutter head would go a long way and you'd have a 15" jointer.

Paul Johnstone
05-19-2010, 1:28 PM
You can wait on getting the bandsaw and drill press, unless you have an urgent need for them on your first project. For example, if you want to use Euro hinges on your first project, you'd need a drill press. You can get a decent quality jig saw for cutting curves, so you don't need a bandsaw right away. I'm guessing you aren't going to be resawing on your first project.

Here's what I would do with your budget:

1. Get a quality contractor or hybrid table saw, used would be great.
2. Get a lunch box planer
3. Random orbit sander and electric drill
4. Dust mask and hearing protection.
5. If you have funds left, and you should scrape up a jointer.

You can build a lot of stuff with this basic setup.

Dan Karachio
05-19-2010, 1:48 PM
Wow, this is fun. I'm living vicariously through your tool purchases.

Regarding Craigs List, and used in general, it is very hard too find a good bandsaw used. Trust me, I have been looking for a year and went new. However, I did find a used jointer. Still, after new blades and all, it wasn't a huge savings. Much better luck in a used drill press at half the new price. Still, all in all the savings is mostly lost in time, effort, driving and bartering. Nothing like coming home with new tools that are ready to rock and roll.

Are you near any Grizzly stores? They have big sales at different times of the year. You might be able to get all you need in your budget.

Tom Rash
05-19-2010, 2:31 PM
I already have a table saw, miter saw, many hand tools, dust collection, router table. I just need those other tools to round me out if you will. This would not be for a first project as i have been woodworking for about a year now and have caught the bug.

Tom Rash
05-19-2010, 2:44 PM
The issue I have with craigslist is that anything that does come across these people are asking for near new prices. I don't mind buying used at all, but I'm not going to do it to save 50-100 dollars that to me is not worth it. I will continue to search and see if I can find anything.

Jim Terrill
05-19-2010, 3:49 PM
Here is a ridgid planer on a rolling stand. $275 seems pretty fair: http://rochester.craigslist.org/tls/1748706287.html

Don Jarvie
05-19-2010, 3:50 PM
After a while on the List it gets easier to sift though the over priced crap and good stuff.

You will also get to see what is always available, CMan TS and RAS to the harder to find Unisaw.

Another thing I do is search the Garage Sale section and search for Tools and if a yard sale is close by show up when it opens. I saw a sale for "Antique CMan Tools over the weekend and got an old Companion Lathe, CMan belt driven grinder, 1/2 hp motor and a huge machinist vise and a bunch of hand tools for 80 bucks.

Just checked the List in Buffalo and there is a Yager Thickness Planer for $300. Sounds like it is in good shape. Better than any lunchbox planer.