PDA

View Full Version : A Big Thank You to Jim McGrew

Belinda Barfield
05-17-2010, 8:48 AM
Jim hosted a great event over the weekend. Thanks to all who attended and shared their knowledge, and a big thanks to Jim.

For those of you couldn't attend, the Stinger is a great machine. And good grief, the mind just reels at all the possibilities for things to create with Aspire! I actually feel as if I could sit down with the software this morning and jump right in . . . that's how much I learned.

It was great to meet some fellow Creekers and I hope to see you all again at IWF in August.

BTW, Joey's BBQ was outstanding! Yum!

james mcgrew
05-17-2010, 1:49 PM
well thank you we will see you in august!! bring corky he was a hang of a bunch of fun as well!!

Mick A Martin
05-17-2010, 10:22 PM
I agree it was a great weekend I learned a lot about the machines, tooling and of course Aspire, thanks once again to all the people the gave there presentations it was well worth the long commute from WA to SC

Mick

Russ Revels
05-18-2010, 7:57 AM
There isn't much I can add about the Columbia gathering at Jim's. It has been covered very well and I am just another attendee that agrees that it was a great weekend. It was great to meet some new friends and visit with friends I had met in the fall. I am looking forward to IWF also.

The new stinger is great and that's what I would be running if it had been available last year when I bought my machine. It was exactly what I was looking for at the time. I have a mini Cobra now and am as happy as if I had good sense with it. Great machine.

Thanks Jim and Tim and Randall and Chuck and Ryan.

A great time and great food.

Russ

Joey Jarrard
05-18-2010, 9:50 AM
I 2nd 3rd and even more all the remarks posted here. Thanks Jim.

Oh Belinda the BBQ was all Jim. I got behind and had to call supperman magoo. But I think the oompa loompas has a lot to do with it.:D

Belinda Barfield
05-18-2010, 9:59 AM
I 2nd 3rd and even more all the remarks posted here. Thanks Jim.

Oh Belinda the BBQ was all Jim. I got behind and had to call supperman magoo. But I think the oompa loompas has a lot to do with it.:D

LOL, I bet the oompa loompas had a lot to do with it. :D

Thanks for all your time, Joey. It was great meeting and talking to you and Paul.

Kevin Groenke
05-18-2010, 7:45 PM
Hey McGrewru,

Thanks for hosting a great event! It was a pleasure meeting you and all the crew.

Many thanks to all of the sponsors (CAMaster, Vectric, SE Tool, Klingspor, etc..) and the presenters (Joey, Paul, Tim, Randall, Chuck, Ryan, etc..). You folks are all doing amazing work and give the rest of us something to Aspire to.;) You're also pretty much ordinary geniuses which is somewhat refreshing in comparison to the academic mileau that I am accustomed to. (see what I mean? pretty snobbish eh?)

Our order is in (CR408, X3, Vac, Recoil) so we'll be joining you soon, but it will be quite some time before we have much of value to add, I will try to keep SMCers posted as we get up to speed though.

-kevin

You can't achieve anything you don't attempt.

Rob Floyd
05-18-2010, 8:04 PM
I'm sorry I missed it - How many attended? Will there be another?

james mcgrew
05-18-2010, 8:55 PM
kevin welcome to the family!! imagine that the univ of minn is kin!! look forward to coming up, i wanna help set up!!

rob i will probably wait until next year (unless the bug strikes) we will all be in atlanta in august for the IWF, send an email to

aspiregroup@mcgrewwoodwork.com and i will keep you informed

jim

Michael Schwartz
05-18-2010, 9:36 PM
Wish I could have made the trip down south. Sounds like Jim hosted a great event.

Joey Jarrard
05-18-2010, 9:47 PM
Ok this is a good test, how are the gophers going to do with a cobra on campus. Kevin welcome to the fam.

Rob Floyd
05-21-2010, 12:48 PM
Once again .......
I'm sorry I missed it - How many attended? Will there be another?

james mcgrew
05-21-2010, 12:53 PM
kevin welcome to the family!! imagine that the univ of minn is kin!! look forward to coming up, i wanna help set up!!

rob i will probably wait until next year (unless the bug strikes) we will all be in atlanta in august for the IWF, send an email to

aspiregroup@mcgrewwoodwork.com and i will keep you informed

jim

we had 85 in the first one 35 in the second, i will wait until next spring (unless i change my mind:))

jim

Rob Floyd
05-21-2010, 4:31 PM
Jim,

Thanks for the info. and thanks for sponsoring the event. That was great attendance!

One would think CAMaster would could afford to put on their own show. The hyping on SMC, the bulk order being coordinated and related publicity here are priceless.

I attended my DIL's med school graduation that weekend. I had committed 4 years ago. NYC - it's a nice place to visit but I couldn't afford to live there.

Are there any other CNC related shows "around town?"

Rob

Joey Jarrard
05-21-2010, 6:17 PM
Rob we have the IWF in August -

BTW CAMaster just got word of our booth number

#5968 and i have put another shameless contest on the CAMheads forum
check it out @ http://www.camheads.org/showthread.php?t=194

Rob we would love to have you at the show!

james mcgrew
05-21-2010, 6:22 PM
actually rob it is not camasters show, in early 09 on the vectric forums discussions on software sessions and how it would be started for gatherings or camps etc. we had a few in sc and nc and wjth me being centrally located for us i would host the firste "aspire" gathering in our area, the first was actually held in indiana (bridgeton) well the whole thing grew a bit and i solicted help (bbq) from the fellows at camaster, we got a few others to join in Chuck hicks of southeast tools, ryan patterson of cabinetparts pro kieth outten!! smc (all great friends of mine) (i have been in the cabinetbusiness 25 years in my area) man it was a blast many of these fellows were old timers in cnc and the growth of it in our area, for some it was a unique reunion and when james booth and tim merrill (who had been to my shop several times) joined in, well lets just say it was much larger than originally planned, for me it was all about aspire, now mind you i am a prolific camaster owner not unlike many who love thier cnc machines and am well supported by them not only mechanically but also in the learning curve of which i am still a member!! so the camaster inclusion in my gathering at my shop was my idea, to confuse it as a camaster event (and they have never done that) would be stretching at best. i hope you will consider attending the next one, at this point other than a shopbot camp there will be the iwf in atlanta in august and should the vectric boys do it again possibly another user group meeting in the fall (they have announced nothing) other than that i probably will do this event again next spring

jim

Joey Jarrard
05-21-2010, 6:48 PM
Rob, CAMaster would like to hold an event of our own & we will. But for now we are at the mercy of great HOST :D like Jim.
A gathering like this is a huge undertaking at the least.
With the IWF only 60 miles from my door I will have to view it as ours for now.

But it is only once every 2 years right!!!!;)