PDA

View Full Version : "Now thats wierd"

Scott Hackler
05-17-2010, 12:09 AM
This was an experiment with inside out turning. I will be attempting this technique again, with the knowledge gained. In the mean time, it turned out so wierd that I decided to put a different top and bottom on it as well. When I handed it to my wife she said, "thats wierd" and " how did you do the middle part". So, I present a super strange, test piece, candle holder.... C&C more than welcome (this could get interesting!) :)
Walnut and oak, BLO, 9 inch tall, terrible photos.

http://members.cox.net/cabletech/candle1.jpg

http://members.cox.net/cabletech/candle2.jpg

http://members.cox.net/cabletech/candle3.jpg

Karl Card
05-17-2010, 1:32 AM
I need a video to see how this inside/out turning goes on...

Jeff Dorlan
05-17-2010, 1:36 AM
Not so weird, as it is cool! Nice work. Very interesting.

John Keeton
05-17-2010, 6:30 AM
Scott, you have a lot of different techniques going on there!! Looks like you have used the indexing feature, the inside/out, carving away some of the foot, etc. Turned into a nice composite of skills!

Steve Schlumpf
05-17-2010, 9:06 AM
Scott - hard to put my finger on it.... but it is a really busy piece! I agree with John's comment on it being a nice composite of your skills and I look forward to see where this experiment leads you!

Paul Douglass
05-17-2010, 9:36 AM
I need a video to see how this inside/out turning goes on...

http://marleyturned.com/Video_Inside-Out-Ornament.html

Mike Willeson
05-17-2010, 9:37 AM
That is an interesting piece Scott. The top feels a bit heavy to me and seems to distract from the rest of it, but that is just one inexperienced turners opinion. The wood combinations are nice and I really like the base and the spindle.

A quick overview of how you did the spindle would be great to hear.

Scott Hackler
05-17-2010, 12:28 PM
The whole thing is just a collection of things that dont really go together, and thats partially by design. I started by attempting the inside out turning and after it was turned (and because it looked really strange when finished) I thought I would just cap it off with something really different and same with the foot. Basically it was scrap wood and three different practice pieces that I fastened together. It will be sit up on a shelf and used for reference. The funny thing is that is is so darn ugly that its kinda neat / strange looking. Either way, I wasnt showcasing any type of good finished product as much as showing you folks how wierd things can get when your just practicing on new techniques!

As far as the spindle part, I just cut 3 parallelagrams (sp?), put a drop of CA on the ends, wrap the ends with filament tape, together they form an octagon, turned a basic shape or two, broke the three pieces apart, flipped them around so the turned part is facing inside, reglued with wood glue and clamped overnight, returned round and through start and stoping to check progress... ended up with this. I will definitely be doing more of them as they do have a wow factor with the people you hand it to, but better planning on what to do with it or how to incorporate it into a "good" piece will be nessesary. (I also found a video on youtube that had a fella doing a basic inside out turning that helped me to understand the principal behind it)

I invite everyone to forget about trying to turn that gallery quality piece (just once) and try something totally different, if nothing more than to learn different techniques and for your (and our) amusement!

Scott Hackler
05-17-2010, 12:31 PM
Scott - hard to put my finger on it.... but it is a really busy piece! I agree with John's comment on it being a nice composite of your skills and I look forward to see where this experiment leads you!

Steve you really can put a "good" spin on your comments! :) Dont sugar coat it, I am not fooling anyone with "hey look at my awesome gallery piece"! It was shown for fun and finished for everyones amusement. I keep looking at it and thinking "carnival" for some reason.

With my Christmas ornament liking, this technique will probably be used in some future ornaments.

Bernie Weishapl
05-17-2010, 2:14 PM
I will say this Scott. That is one interesting piece. I like it.

Mark Hubl
05-17-2010, 3:46 PM
Well, I give you an "A" for effort. The piece looks like it was a lot of fun to do. Since reading the article on inside out turning in American Woodturner I have had a hankering to try some. Glad to see somebody trying it and experimenting with some new things.

Scott Hackler
05-17-2010, 4:31 PM
I think the hardest thing about "inside out" turning, in my opinion, is trying to visualize how you should turn the first time in order to achieve the desired end results when you turn it inside out and do the final turning. Boy that was a mouthfull! I have an idea of what I would like to see as an end result in the next attempt, but wrapping my mind around how the "inside" needs turned will take some thought!

Mark Hubl
05-17-2010, 5:03 PM
A quick way to play with plans might be to use some paper. Make a fold, draw a design, cut it out to see how the relief will look. You can also use a mirror to help with the visualization. Use it in a similar way to the way the cabinet makers layout veneer.

Karl Card
05-17-2010, 10:12 PM
http://marleyturned.com/Video_Inside-Out-Ornament.html

Thanks Paul... Now that opens up a whole new door into the fun I can have on my lathe.... that is just down right coo...

Karl Card
05-18-2010, 2:54 PM
not meaning to steal thread but I have to comment on this thread giving me the inspiration to do an hourglass and instead of the traditional 3 post flat top hour glass i want to do a turning where I can "imbed" the hourglass into the turning...

ohhhh see what you started...lol

Scott Hackler
05-18-2010, 3:00 PM
Karl,

Its funny you said that because I was looking at the hourglass kits the other day and have thought about making one (or a bunch). I think woodcraft had them on sale.

Karl Card
05-18-2010, 3:52 PM
Karl,

Its funny you said that because I was looking at the hourglass kits the other day and have thought about making one (or a bunch). I think woodcraft had them on sale.

now i am scared, someone else that thinks like i do..lol
I have one small glass 4 inches tall that I wanna try first but i also have 4 of the bigger ones that woodcraft had on sale last time.
I have so many pieces of exotic wood that are 2 inches thick, and I am thinking that would be so pretty to do an hour glass in them. I think it would bring a good price too...that never hurts to supply money to my tool frenzie..

If you do start in on one send pics id really like to see... I am debating about trying to do a 4 or 3 spindle mockup to start with... but I think 4 might be best for a beginner.