PDA

View Full Version : Chop Saw Height?

Jesse Tutterrow
05-16-2010, 7:17 PM
I am building a new table for my dewalt chop saw and was wondering if there was a recommended height. I realize that it depends on my height, but, is there a relative height? Like "it should be at the same height as you elbow"

Thanks

scott vroom
05-16-2010, 7:21 PM
Just make sure it's at least 7" higher than your woodpecker:)

Steve Griffin
05-16-2010, 7:29 PM
My chop saw deck is about 44", and it's just right for 5'11" me.

Looking around my shop I notice many of my machines are higher than stock--shaper is plus 6", table saw plus 1.5", belt sander is plus 7". I like planer and jointer at factory height though.

-Steve

Mitchell Andrus
05-16-2010, 7:37 PM
Mine's on a 36" high bench putting the tape measure 1" lower than I need it to be so I can see it without aiming my damned glasses at it.

Steve Southwood
05-17-2010, 8:13 AM
Mine is at 40", my height 6'4". I must have longer arms than Griffin:rolleyes:

David Helm
05-17-2010, 10:01 AM
I have my deck at 37.5 inches, flush with infeed an outfeed tables. Settled on this height after many decades of use. Works perfectly for 5'11' me.

Jason White
05-17-2010, 3:15 PM
I'm the same height. My bench table height is 40" and my chop saw sits on top of it. Height seems perfect to me. Jason

Mine is at 40", my height 6'4". I must have longer arms than Griffin:rolleyes:

Joe Chritz
05-17-2010, 4:09 PM
One and three quarter cubits or alternatively 9 hands plus or minus a fuzz, a fuzz and a half if you always wear boots.

Joe

Jesse Tutterrow
05-17-2010, 4:37 PM
One and three quarter cubits or alternatively 9 hands plus or minus a fuzz, a fuzz and a half if you always wear boots.

Joe

Thanks Joe,

If I measuer it in cubits then I will need Gopher wood to make my ark er. bench out of. Do you have any?

--Jesse

Van Huskey
05-17-2010, 4:44 PM
38" for me but outside your height and ape factor etc the saw can also make a difference.

Mike Cruz
05-17-2010, 6:28 PM
Mine is one the behind me when I am at my Uni (which is raised a few inches from factory height), so it is at that height... I need the space from that table for long boards to feed into the Uni. I suppose what I am saying is that the height of my chop saw was determined by the layout of the shop and by NEED, not by comfort. That happens to be the same height as my two work benches for the same reason...but on the other side of the Uni.

Glen Butler
05-18-2010, 12:21 AM
32-36 inches IMO is ideal. I'm 6'2". I don't know exactly how tall mine is, but it is lower than the table saw by a couple inches. Keep the table lower for material handling. More at waist height is easier to load/unload. It is also safer having it lower; a kick in the saw is easier to control and dissipate if your hand is below your shoulder. Even up to 40" I can understand but seriously Griffin? 44? I know it is your shop and you are welcome to do as you wish, I just find that really strange.

Terry Sparks
05-18-2010, 1:32 AM
My chop saw station is 40" high with 8' of table on one side of the saw and 5' of table on the other side. The reason I made the station 38" high is so I can park my table saw (34") and wheeled tool storage cabinets (also 34") underneath the chop saw station when not being used.

Steve Griffin
05-18-2010, 10:10 AM
32-36 inches IMO is ideal. I'm 6'2". I don't know exactly how tall mine is, but it is lower than the table saw by a couple inches. Keep the table lower for material handling. More at waist height is easier to load/unload. It is also safer having it lower; a kick in the saw is easier to control and dissipate if your hand is below your shoulder. Even up to 40" I can understand but seriously Griffin? 44? I know it is your shop and you are welcome to do as you wish, I just find that really strange.

Good points on the advantages of it being lower.

Probably has more to do with what one is used too.

I guess I like it up high for a number of minor reasons. I can see more blade and less saw in the way when doing custom tiny adjustments to a miter or molding cut. I can also see the defects in the wood better--such deciding if I have cut off enough split end off. I also have more leverage to easily push warpy stock up against the fence.

I also have a 8' storage shelf under the saw at about 28" which I stage plugged in power tools when working on the nearby assembly table. (chopsaw is the most important tool to have near the workbench).

Finally, I use the Kreg stop system for 90% of my cuts, and like having the curser closer to my eyes.

-Steve

Alan Lightstone
05-18-2010, 10:27 AM
364.4 Smoots +/- one ear.