PDA

View Full Version : Desert SW Spalted Holly Form

Mike Minto
05-16-2010, 5:53 PM
Another in the same vein as my previous post...love that spalted wood. About 3" tall by 6.5" wide, walls the same as the other (thanks to my Jamieson hollowing system) at about 3/16". Not buffed, just sprayed with Deft lacquer over a couple coats of water-based poly.

John Keeton
05-16-2010, 6:02 PM
Mike, I actually like this one better than the maple - I guess it is the lower form, although I know the other is popular. And, the spalted holly is such a nice wood. Again, nice work!

Steve Schlumpf
05-16-2010, 6:09 PM
Mike - you've got this Southwestern stuff down to a science! Great form!

Ted Calver
05-16-2010, 6:23 PM
Nice one Mike..I sure like that spalted holly.

Paul Douglass
05-16-2010, 8:45 PM
Will that is REALLY pretty. The wood and form really go together.

Roland Martin
05-16-2010, 8:55 PM
That's some really nice holly. Nice work Mike.

Dave MacArthur
05-16-2010, 9:24 PM
Nice, I really like the whiteness of the holly.

Bernie Weishapl
05-16-2010, 10:36 PM
Really nice piece Mike. Nice wood and form is great.

Richard Madison
05-16-2010, 10:55 PM
Nice piece Mike. Am curious why you use the poly under a lacquer finish?

David E Keller
05-16-2010, 11:15 PM
Nice looking piece.

Mike Minto
05-17-2010, 9:51 AM
Nice piece Mike. Am curious why you use the poly under a lacquer finish?

Richard, I had initially used the poly to try and strengthen the wood (didn't help much), as it was sanding out of round due to some of the spalted areas being softer than the other. Then, since I was using the laquer on another piece, I just gave this one a light hand sanding and sprayed it. Deft is fast becoming my finish of choice - easy to apply, looks great, no color.

Bill Bolen
05-17-2010, 12:03 PM
A fine job on a beautiful piece of wood. Glad you found a non yelllowing finish for this Holly...Bill...

Jim Underwood
05-17-2010, 12:13 PM
I like the new word you made up...

"HollyForm"

No pun intended I bet....:D

Nice looking work.

Richard Madison
05-17-2010, 12:34 PM
Thanks Mike. Also use lacquer on nearly everything recently. Always wipe on a coat or two of lacquer sanding sealer first. On a larger piece where I want to really "build" a finish, may use a coat or two of brushing lacquer first, maybe wet sand level and finish with a few spray coats. Rarely do this now, as in my area I can't price a good finish any higher than a sort of regular finish and expect it to sell. Usually wait a few days and buff lightly with white compound. Doesn't increase the gloss much but gives a better feel in the hand.

Don Robert
05-17-2010, 1:00 PM
Mike,
Very nice piece. I'm curious about the source of the wood. You titled this "desert SW spalted holly," so being an easterner where did you get the wood? I live in central Arizona and have seen lots of holly trees on hikes I have taken. But I know of nowhere around here that sells (or gives away) spalted holly large enough to be interest to turners. I sure would like to get some though.

Mike Minto
05-17-2010, 1:23 PM
Mike,
Very nice piece. I'm curious about the source of the wood. You titled this "desert SW spalted holly," so being an easterner where did you get the wood? I live in central Arizona and have seen lots of holly trees on hikes I have taken. But I know of nowhere around here that sells (or gives away) spalted holly large enough to be interest to turners. I sure would like to get some though.

Don, by the title, I didn't mean to imply the source of the wood (or the accuracy/authenticity of the form). I really like looking at 'native American' pottery, and was just trying to emulate the style in wood. It's just a title for a descriptive paragraph on the turning I was showing. Sorry if that was confusing, didn't mean to be. As for the source, it is Virginia holly that a neighbor cut down and gave to me, and it spalted while sitting next to my workshop. :)

Mark Hubl
05-17-2010, 3:32 PM
Mike,

I am a big fan of SW pottery myself, so I really like the last two pieces that you have shown us. Love the spalted wood and the forms are lovely. The Holly is my fav of the two. The spalted stuff can be challenging with all of it's soft spots, but it's beauty certainly makes it worth the effort. Nice stuff.

Bill Wyko
05-17-2010, 10:12 PM
That is a real beauty. The contrast in colors really make this piece. very well done.

Baxter Smith
05-17-2010, 11:03 PM
Really like the spalted holly. I hope some I am trying to spalt will come out that well!

Don Robert
05-17-2010, 11:27 PM
Mike,
Sorry. I misunderstood that you were referring to form not the source of the wood. Should have put 2+2 together. Anyway, you did well on the form - I really like it.