PDA

View Full Version : Spalted Maple Southwest Form

Mike Minto
05-16-2010, 5:45 PM
Here's a smallish form, about 6"x6", out of spalted maple. Thin walled (for me), about 3/16". So far several coats of Deft lacquer, not buffed yet. So many of us like the 'desert SW' form, why don't we just throw pottery? :p

Steve Kubien
05-16-2010, 5:46 PM
Very nicely done. This is a shape which I have struggled with, so much so that pictures have not been taken. :) Good job.

David DeCristoforo
05-16-2010, 5:50 PM
Sweet. Your turnings are getting more and more refined. Now, about your photo backdrops...

PS We don't throw pottery because it breaks.

Mike Minto
05-16-2010, 5:56 PM
Sweet. Your turnings are getting more and more refined. Now, about your photo backdrops...

PS We don't throw pottery because it breaks.

Now, that's funny :). Re: the backdrop, I agree :o...

Ted Evans
05-16-2010, 5:58 PM
Gorgeous wood Mike, I like the form.

John Keeton
05-16-2010, 6:00 PM
Well done, Mike! Nice form. That sure is some nice maple, and you are really getting into the spalted stuff.

I got prodded on my photo setup, and David is already after you! Spend the $40 for a gradient backdrop, get some 1/2" PVC, scrounge a couple of halogen worklights, take that piece of cotton you have the bowl sitting on, and you got yourself a photo tent! Steve kept after me until I did a tent, and it really does make a big difference in the pic quality.

Steve Schlumpf
05-16-2010, 6:08 PM
Now there is a form you can be proud of! Very nice work Mike! You really captured the essence of the Southwest!

Very nice work!

Bernie Weishapl
05-16-2010, 10:38 PM
Another fine piece Mike. Wood and form are really nice.

David E Keller
05-16-2010, 11:17 PM
I really like this one. Great looking piece of wood, and the form is really appealing to me.

Paul Douglass
05-16-2010, 11:20 PM
Don't listen to them, It's about the bowl, not the back drop! I didn't even notice until I read the replys. Great bowl! I love the SW forms you do. I have got to try some bowl turning. Just afraid to step over the edge into that vortex.