PDA

View Full Version : New Chevy Billboards in Detroit

Jim Koepke
05-16-2010, 3:33 PM
This ad campaign might have to do with the Detroit Auto Show.
All have classic shots of mostly Chevys from the 1950s with a tag line.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r22931930-New-Chevy-Billboard-Ads

Some of my favorites:

Comes in 17 colors, all of them red, white and blue.
One 50 year old that looks good with a spare tire.
Remember the wind in your hair? Remember hair?

jim

Mitchell Andrus
05-16-2010, 3:59 PM
That's a great ad campaign. I hope we see them in magazines.

Zach England
05-16-2010, 5:01 PM
I like Volvos...and art fairs.

Dan Mages
05-16-2010, 5:06 PM
The big dud with this campaign though is that very few cars from GM these days are worth talking about.

Dan

Joe Pelonio
05-16-2010, 5:45 PM
We have two Fords and a Jeep now, but I do miss my '72 El Camino, the cowl induction hood with stripes, and 330 HP V8. The modern GMs must not be all bad, since the Silverado is the #2 best selling vehicle after the F150 now, but they sure don't make them like they used to.

Mitchell Andrus
05-16-2010, 6:49 PM
but they sure don't make them like they used to.

No they don't. Cars now routinely go 150,000 miles before needing an engine rebuild, rarely rust through from the inside out, and get double the gas mileage. My dad never had a car last 100K until he got his '93 Caddy, and the guy who bought my wife's '97 Saturn now has 165K on it with the original drive train and interior. That almost never happened on 50's, 60's 70's junkers. When I was in HS trips to the junkyard for engines and trannys were a monthly event for me and the other gear heads.

Now Joe, if you're talking STYLE...... yea. Things are sure bland unless you're into the upper stratta of car-dom. GT-40, 911, E Series, 7 Series.....

Roger Newby
05-16-2010, 7:56 PM
It may be bland, but I've got a 1999 Dodge Grand Caravan with 263000+ miles and still get 23 mpg. A little body damage from a hail storm 8 years ago and the front (plastic) bumper has an ouchy from taking out a buck coon :eek: but it still serves me well and I'll run it 'til it drops.

Jim Koepke
05-16-2010, 9:38 PM
It may be bland, but I've got a 1999 Dodge Grand Caravan with 263000+ miles and still get 23 mpg.

I would almost bet you never took it to those quick oil change places. I think they have killed more cars than bad drivers.

I had a '57 VW bus that I put about 90,000 on it before the speedo cable broke. Drove it a lot more after that and then sold it to some guy who was too stupid to understand what an oil light was for.

jim

Joe Pelonio
05-16-2010, 10:39 PM
No they don't. Cars now routinely go 150,000 miles before needing an engine rebuild, rarely rust through from the inside out, and get double the gas mileage. My dad never had a car last 100K until he got his '93 Caddy, and the guy who bought my wife's '97 Saturn now has 165K on it with the original drive train and interior. That almost never happened on 50's, 60's 70's junkers. When I was in HS trips to the junkyard for engines and trannys were a monthly event for me and the other gear heads.

Now Joe, if you're talking STYLE...... yea. Things are sure bland unless you're into the upper stratta of car-dom. GT-40, 911, E Series, 7 Series.....
What you say is true, and I also spent many a fun day at the wreckers!

The style, the power, and the sound of a carburetor sucking air is more what I meant. The big heavy ones were solid and could take a hit, but then they didn't stop very well and they sure did suck up the gas. Of course at 25-30 cents a gallon that wasn't a big deal then.

I doubt that 40 years from now anyone will be taking a restored Camry to a car show.

Kent A Bathurst
05-17-2010, 7:30 AM
........if you're talking STYLE...... yea.......

Not to mention the British Leyland product line - the MGB, TR6, Spitfire, et. al. Daily maintenance + wrench-turning almost wasn't enough. Not to mention Joseph Lucas, The Prince of Darkness. When/if they ran, they were a hoot to drive. Serious Babe Magnets.

Brian Effinger
05-17-2010, 12:41 PM
I doubt that 40 years from now anyone will be taking a restored Camry to a car show.
Thanks Joe, I needed a good laugh. :D

Zach England
05-17-2010, 1:47 PM
I doubt that 40 years from now you will be able to get gasoline, at least the kind that would run current combustion engines.

Michael Weber
05-17-2010, 7:23 PM
Not to mention the British Leyland product line - the MGB, TR6, Spitfire, et. al. Daily maintenance + wrench-turning almost wasn't enough. Not to mention Joseph Lucas, The Prince of Darkness. When/if they ran, they were a hoot to drive. Serious Babe Magnets.

Bumper sticker seen in the rear window of a British car on the back page of some now forgotten auto magazine. "Why do the British drink warm beer? They have Lucas refrigerators".

Also agree with car quality. My dad had a new 58 chevy with the smaller curved fins. It was a piece of junk. If you accelerated too hard the motor mounts would break, causing the motor to shift and pulling the gas pedal further down. Problem was worse if you were on an incline. I gave my daughter an 86 Honda Accord with 125K on it. Its' now at 200 with no major issues and she wants to get 250K out of it before getting a new car.

Speaking of British cars, I have a partially restored MGTD, right hand drive, new leather upholstery (from England), plus much new frame wood from Abingdon Spares, Carpets from Moss Motors plus lots of other new items. This was all done 20 years ago(or more) and the car has not been driven since. Just lost interest. I believe I still have all receipts for purchased items. Currently not running (carbs and locked rear wheels from leaking brake fluid). Supposedly it's an early 50 model (engine XPGA TD1024) although the title has it as a 52. I was going to try and correct that but never did. A few other problems with the car I would be happy to discuss via PM if anyone is interested.
Moderators, feel free to delete the last paragraph if it exceeds forums rules.

Pat Germain
05-17-2010, 8:11 PM
I was glad to hear the Camaro came back. But sheesh, that thing is a behemoth.

If manufacturers can capture old school style with modern reliability and mileage, they won't be able to keep those cars on the lot. I know Ford-haters would disagree, but I think the new Mustangs just keep getting better. Next year Ford will again offer a "5.0" engine in the Mustang; sa-weet! And the new V6-powered ponies are getting good reviews. Then, of course, there are the new Shelby Mustangs. :D

Mitchell Andrus
05-17-2010, 8:45 PM

I know... My HS cars (in '74) were a '64 XKE Jag drop head and a '64 MGB. God Bless Lucas, he tried....

Michael Weber
05-17-2010, 10:32 PM
I know... My HS cars (in '74) were a '64 XKE Jag drop head and a '64 MGB. God Bless Lucas, he tried....
I had a 67 XKE coupe for a few years in the 70's. Had the 2 Stromburg carbs instead of the previous 3 SU carb setup (emission standards I believe). It did help me get acquainted with my wife in an odd way although she was under the belief that I was the gorgeous one:confused::confused::confused::confused: and not the car. Sold it for $3000 after a few years to a young man just out of the Marines and enrolled at Univ. of Tulsa. I've always missed the low seats and that tunnel your feet went it to work the pedals the strong clutch and the way the shifter 'snicked' into each gear. Priced them lately:eek::eek:
Also had a MkII sedan, dilapidated interior but great exterior and brushed chrome so perfect it almost made you cry to look at it. Beautiful classic British styling. Sold it when the Borg Warner transmission ("slush boxs", I believe they were referred to) decided reverse gear wasn't really needed.

Jim Koepke
05-18-2010, 8:02 PM
Not to mention Joseph Lucas, The Prince of Darkness.

My recollection is that the Lucas headlights had three settings, Off, Dim and Flicker.

jim

Joe Shinall
05-19-2010, 12:31 AM
First engine I ever built was a 396 for a 67 Chevelle that my dad and I restored and sold. I was 13. It was only 14 years ago.

2nd engine I ever built I still have. 4.3 V6 in an 88 S10 Blazer, my first car. Dyno'd at 362 HP. 9 MPG. I've got a 383 Stroker goin in it next. Oh the toys, the toys.

Those ads are sweet. Would like a few of those on posters for the garage.

Dan Mages
05-19-2010, 10:00 AM

HA!! Very true. We looked at a Honda CRV recently and nearly fell asleep driving it, it was so boring! It was about as exciting to use as a dishwasher. No way we will see any of those in s car show in 40 years either.

Dan

Belinda Barfield
05-19-2010, 10:49 AM
The first one is my dream car. I miss my vette.

Rick Potter
05-23-2010, 2:24 AM
Lucas electrics messed up more than British cars. I had a '58 Fiat with them, and never could get it to stay running. Hey, I can still remember how to adjust twin or triple SU carbs with only pencils and wire. Talk about needing constant attention.

Rick Potter

Paul Greathouse
05-23-2010, 4:11 AM
We have two Fords and a Jeep now, but I do miss my '72 El Camino, the cowl induction hood with stripes, and 330 HP V8. The modern GMs must not be all bad, since the Silverado is the #2 best selling vehicle after the F150 now, but they sure don't make them like they used to.

I'm not much of a statistics guy, but I'm curious how the #1 truck best seller contest would turn out if Chevy & GMC sales were combined. They are essentially the same truck.

Kent A Bathurst
05-23-2010, 9:29 AM
........Hey, I can still remember how to adjust twin or triple SU carbs with only pencils and wire. Talk about needing constant attention............

Ain't THAT the truth. Friend has a Healey Mk III - '65 + '66 (one vehicle - parts from both). He had the heavy-lifting restoration done by a shop, then did the trim, fitting, etc. himself. Fortunately, he knows a guy with expertise in the twin carbs - even better, the guy lives nearby and works for beer - because "gotta tune the carbs first" is always the response to "when we taking the Healey out?"

Pat Germain
05-24-2010, 9:15 AM
I agree nobody will be taking a Camry to a car show. But what modern GM cars will be wheeling into a show decades from now? Maybe the Camaro. And what else?

I doubt those billboards are real. While I find them very clever and nostalgic, they also highlight how far GM has fallen over the years and it makes their current product line look pretty lackluster. Maybe it's time for tailfins to make a comeback. If Chevrolet could produce a car that looked as cool as a '57 Belair and got great mileage, profits would soar.