PDA

View Full Version : cocobolo duck call

Aaron Wingert
05-15-2010, 10:59 PM
Here's a cocobolo duck call I turned a couple days ago. It'll be the last one I get to make for a while, at least until my hand feels better from yesterday's surgery. I did manage to get the band on it and tune it up today with one good hand and one really sore hand! The insert is a bit of a deviation from the shape I've turned on previous calls' inserts...This one's more bulbous. It feels pretty good in hand so it may be something I stick with, depending on the feedback I get from others on how it looks. The cocobolo is really dark stuff with a lot of black in it, so I opted to use the black anodized band to set that off (as opposed to a brass band which I normally use on cocobolo calls).

Self-critique: There is a little dimple of thickened finish on the exhaust end of the insert where the finish ran down and accumulated after dipping. Grrrrr.

Comments/criticism/critiques/suggestions welcomed!

David E Keller
05-15-2010, 11:03 PM
It looks great. I like the dark band.

Mark Hubl
05-15-2010, 11:19 PM
I think it looks great. I love coco, just such a rich looking wood. Sorry to hear about your hand, heal fast.

Bernie Weishapl
05-15-2010, 11:23 PM
That is a really good looking piece. Really like the coco.

Paul Douglass
05-15-2010, 11:32 PM
That is beautiful. Do people actually use these beautiful calls? They look more like display art to me. I have got to try making some.

Aaron Wingert
05-16-2010, 12:02 AM
That is beautiful. Do people actually use these beautiful calls? They look more like display art to me. I have got to try making some.

You bet they get used Paul! The big challenge with call making is getting finishes that are durable enough for tough use in harsh conditions, not to mention being wet all the time. A lot of field testing has gone into that. Many callmakers closely guard their finish recipes due to the amount of testing, time and money involved in getting it right.

The lack of artistry and craftsmanship in commercially available calls is what pushed me into callmaking. Being a woodworker I couldn't stand the CNC milled, unsanded and poorly finished calls that are available at most outdoor stores (not to mention the stupid logos and names branded on many of them). I later came to find out that there is a relatively small contingent of custom callmakers out there that pour their heart and soul into making their calls look as good as they sound. I once sold a maple burl turkey call to a guy who wanted it simply to decorate his office....It kind of broke my heart a little because it seemed like a waste of a great call. But to each their own! I make them to use!

brian watts
05-16-2010, 6:23 AM
You bet they get used Paul! The big challenge with call making is getting finishes that are durable enough for tough use in harsh conditions, not to mention being wet all the time. A lot of field testing has gone into that. Many callmakers closely guard their finish recipes due to the amount of testing, time and money involved in getting it right.

The lack of artistry and craftsmanship in commercially available calls is what pushed me into callmaking. Being a woodworker I couldn't stand the CNC milled, unsanded and poorly finished calls that are available at most outdoor stores (not to mention the stupid logos and names branded on many of them). I later came to find out that there is a relatively small contingent of custom callmakers out there that pour their heart and soul into making their calls look as good as they sound. I once sold a maple burl turkey call to a guy who wanted it simply to decorate his office....It kind of broke my heart a little because it seemed like a waste of a great call. But to each their own! I make them to use!

+2 feel the same way....

John Keeton
05-16-2010, 6:58 AM
Nice work, Aaron, and good choice on the dark band. That cocobolo is really dark. I have played with one piece early on, but most I have looked at is more brown and lighter than what you have. I like the darker color. Did you use acetone before finishing?

Ken Hill
05-16-2010, 10:01 AM
Very nice! I love the stuff but it makes me itchy!!!

Steve Schlumpf
05-16-2010, 11:28 AM
Beautiful work Aaron! Your finish is amazing!

Hope your hand heals quickly and totally and you can get back to pain-free turning!

Aaron Wingert
05-16-2010, 1:08 PM
Thanks for the compliments guys. John, I don't use acetone when working with oily woods. I've tried it and I just don't feel that it does much, other than attract more oil to the surface. Just my two cents.