PDA

View Full Version : Large Factory finishing question

Craig D Peltier
05-15-2010, 10:19 PM
I was wondering what the large factorys use to make that perfect finish you always see, say on a Kraftmaid kitchen. Theres hardly any blotching and its very consistent on a stained product.
I was told once that spray an acetone type product with color in it and in order for the acetone to harden thye bake it.

Scott Holmes
05-15-2010, 10:37 PM
They use some high-tech processes (high-end conversion varnishes etc.) that we cannot do in our humble home shops.

Yes there is color in the clear finish to even it out. Last coat(s) has no color.

Joe Chritz
05-17-2010, 4:47 AM
Toners and guys with many many hours of spraying experience.

Ever watch a good auto body guy paint a car? A thing of beauty.

You can get very good results yourself with a mid range spray gun and some practice and decent finish.

Joe

Bob Wingard
05-17-2010, 11:31 PM
I was wondering what the large factorys use to make that perfect finish you always see, say on a Kraftmaid kitchen. Theres hardly any blotching and its very consistent on a stained product.
I was told once that spray an acetone type product with color in it and in order for the acetone to harden thye bake it.

If you can possibly make it, attend the IWF show in August .. .. you will be AMAZED at the equipment & processes available for the right $$$$$. Nearly everything is automated & computerized in the factories these days. There is no such thing as craftsmanship there .. only perfection.

Craig D Peltier
05-19-2010, 9:45 PM
Thanks, I heard out here at Canyon Creek cabinets ( big company) . Doors and such hang from conveyors, machines ( not people) spray it. Then it works its way into an oven to harden it.