PDA

View Full Version : Painted Myself Into a Corner??

Don L Johnson
05-15-2010, 9:05 PM
I'm building one of the stand up jewelery chests that have the sides that open up. I'm planning on having two rows of hooks to hang necklaces on. I got ahead of my self and sprayed lacquer on the interior of the doors, which are made up of 1/2" raised panel sections. I was going to glue a bar of sorts on wooden posts to install the hooks on. The posts have to be connected to the stiles (that are 1/2" thick). Although I haven't tried it, I don't think I can now glue the posts onto the stiles because of the lacuqer finish, and I can't screw them on from the back, because that is the exposed raised panel side. I've thought about the new Kreg mini system that one can use on 1/2" wood, but I hate to have to pony up $50 (unless that's my only alternative). Any suggestions? Thanks.

Will Overton
05-15-2010, 9:24 PM
Epoxy should work fine.

Andrew Nemeth
05-15-2010, 9:33 PM
I'm not sure if I follow what you are trying to do. Maybe if you post a picture or drawing it might help. I'm assuming the problem you are having is a fear of joint failure do to the finsh.

What about drilling holes as deep as you can in each surface and using a short dowel? How 'bout scraping the finished surface down to bare wood where the glue will be mateing the two surfaces?

-Andrew

Jeff Mackay
05-15-2010, 9:41 PM
+1 on using dowels. Drill 1/4" holes (with a right angle drill) into the door sides, and into the end of the bar. Use a small spring beneath a 1/4" dowel that will hold things in place once assembled.

Darnell Hagen
05-15-2010, 10:19 PM
Lacquer glue.

http://www.master-profil.com/pdfs/308.0en.pdf

Don L Johnson
05-16-2010, 9:23 AM
Wow, I didn't realize there was a glue specifically for this application. I really appreciate the help from this forum. I like the dowel method, as it will give me some shear strength as well. I do have to ask myself why that didn't come to my mind -- duhh??? Thanks to all for posting.

glenn bradley
05-16-2010, 11:17 AM
That Kleiberit product looks slick. Epoxy should work as well. The strength will be dictated by the lacquer's adhesion as you are gluing to the lacquer, not the material. When I use wooden hinges on small boxes, I drill a pattern of shallow holes on both surfaces to help the epoxy grip. Just food for thought.