PDA

View Full Version : Using my new Osborne EB-3 mitre gauge....

Ken Fitzgerald
05-15-2010, 8:17 PM
I am in the process of building a cabinet.

Cutting pieces for the faceframe using my new EB-3 was a dream.

I assembled it yesterday morning and calibrated it at 90º. Today it cut 90's beautifully and using the flip stop made cutting the rails all the same size...a dream.

I am satisfied!

Myk Rian
05-15-2010, 9:37 PM
I am satisfied!
I've had mine for a few years. They are nice.

Brian Hale
05-15-2010, 9:57 PM
Glad to hear it Ken!!

I've been happy with mine for 3+ years.

Cheers!
Brian :)

Jim O'Dell
05-15-2010, 10:36 PM
Wondered which one you had decided on. Congrats. Now where's the pictures??? :D Jim.

Braun Reszler
06-20-2010, 1:49 PM
I just ordered a EB3 miter gauge, cant wait to get it.

Any tips for setting it up or using it would be greatly appreciated.

Don Selke
06-20-2010, 2:23 PM
Hi Ken:

I think I read a post some time in the past that stated that you need to move something from the left to the right on the EB-3. Please comment on this as I will be ordering one next week. I re-stock my shop during the summer months with supplies and goodies. No woodworking due to the 105 to 115 degree heat here in the south west. I save the A/C and electric for the house.;)

Ken Fitzgerald
06-20-2010, 3:03 PM
I use mine primarily to the left of the blade. Bill Huber pointed out that the flip stop works better if you reverse it's assembly. So.....the part with the mechanical lock/stop is to the left and then "flipper" is to the right.

I assembled mine that way and it works great.

The accuracy and repeatability is incredible. I am just about finished with another rolling cabinet for my shop. Using the EB-3 the drawers....everything I used it on came out incredibly square. I am impressed!

Myk Rian
06-20-2010, 3:04 PM
Hi Ken:

I think I read a post some time in the past that stated that you need to move something from the left to the right on the EB-3. Please comment on this as I will be ordering one next week. I re-stock my shop during the summer months with supplies and goodies. No woodworking due to the 105 to 115 degree heat here in the south west. I save the A/C and electric for the house.;)
If you switch from one miter track to the other, you remove the fence and swing the arm to the other side. 2 thumb nuts hold it. One magazine review I read, (Wood) said you had to use the back of the fence to do that. So much for the dummies at Wood.

Don Selke
06-20-2010, 3:10 PM
Thanks guys, I will remember that.

Happy Dads Day

Don Dorn
06-20-2010, 3:15 PM
I've also had mine for a few years and really like it. When I bought mine though, they were $159, but I have no regrets. A friend has a Incra 1000 and while it's nice, he seems to like using my EB3 more.

Van Huskey
06-20-2010, 8:47 PM
This begs the question what are the pros of the Osborne vs the Incra line?

Steve Bracken
06-20-2010, 9:41 PM
This begs the question what are the pros of the Osborne vs the Incra line?

An excellent question.

I just bought the Incra, 1000 for $100 delivered.

Most things I have read suggest that the Osbourne is a better miter gauge. But it costs more ... anything from $20 to $60 more, and I wondered if it was really that much better.

The Incra appears to be well made, and the micro-adjustment is as much accuracy as a woodworker could want ....

I guess I would be very happy to use either, but budget dictates :)

Bill Huber
06-21-2010, 7:50 PM
An excellent question.

I just bought the Incra, 1000 for $100 delivered.

Most things I have read suggest that the Osbourne is a better miter gauge. But it costs more ... anything from $20 to $60 more, and I wondered if it was really that much better.

The Incra appears to be well made, and the micro-adjustment is as much accuracy as a woodworker could want ....

I guess I would be very happy to use either, but budget dictates :)

I had an Incra 1000 for about a week and sold it, it was just to bulky and did not work very well for me. You get it all set up with a fence on it and it just to big bulky for me. If you don't put a fence on it, it so slick you just can't use it.
Another thing is once you get the scales all set up and you want to cut some 45s you have to move it back because it is square on the end, not cut at a 45 like the EB-3 is. Now you have to reset the scale all over again.

Kirk Simmons
06-21-2010, 8:00 PM
I have an Incra 1000-HD, and I think it's great. I just did the same as the OP today, cutting out the pieces for six cabinet drawers and then assembling them.

Don Dorn
06-21-2010, 8:01 PM
[QUOTE=Ken Fitzgerald;1450315]I use mine primarily to the left of the blade. Bill Huber pointed out that the flip stop works better if you reverse it's assembly. So.....the part with the mechanical lock/stop is to the left and then "flipper" is to the right.

I assembled mine that way and it works great.

QUOTE]

I never thought of that - went out and did the same today and took just a minute or so. Thanks Bill.

Bill Huber
06-21-2010, 8:24 PM
Hi Ken:

Here is all you have to do and why.

153953 153954

Steve Bracken
06-22-2010, 2:30 AM
I had an Incra 1000 for about a week and sold it, it was just to bulky and did not work very well for me. You get it all set up with a fence on it and it just to big bulky for me. If you don't put a fence on it, it so slick you just can't use it.
Another thing is once you get the scales all set up and you want to cut some 45s you have to move it back because it is square on the end, not cut at a 45 like the EB-3 is. Now you have to reset the scale all over again.

Well now .... One forgetful moment and the Incra will very soon be 45 degrees on the end. :D:D

Cody Colston
06-22-2010, 8:20 AM
Ken, I've had an EB-3 for two or three years now and it has worked very well for me. I will reverse that lock stop and flipper-stop, however as that just makes good sense.