PDA

View Full Version : Finishing question:

John Miliunas
11-20-2004, 8:32 PM
OK, I looked on the can, but couldn't find an answer there. The question is: Can I safely squirt lacquer on top of poly? The poly is well cured and I was just planning on scuffing it up with some 320 or thereabouts and shooting some lacquer (out of a can). I know that lacquer can destroy some finishes, enamel for example, but I'm just not sure on the poly. Any idea if this is a safe process? :confused: :cool:

Keith Christopher
11-20-2004, 10:31 PM
John,

Pop over to the homestead finishing forums and ask they'll know for sure.

Keith

Tom LaRussa
11-20-2004, 10:38 PM
Can I safely squirt lacquer on top of poly?
John,

I have no idea whether this will work or not, but I'm responding anyway because I'm curious as to why you want to squirt lacquer on top of poly?

Dale Thompson
11-20-2004, 10:46 PM
Hey Spring,
I don't know why you would want to do that but "Cheeseheads" have strange reasons for a lot of things. I can't answer your question with any degree of authority but I do know that Poly is about as "tough" as it comes. Laquer is a "wimp" in comparison. I don't see any reason why you should have a problem.

I'm glad that I could help you in such a positive manner! :confused:

Next time, ask me an easy question! HMMM! To me - there are NO easy questions! :confused: :o

Dale T.

Jim Becker
11-20-2004, 10:51 PM
I do know that Poly is about as "tough" as it comes. Laquer is a "wimp" in comparison.
Polyurethane varnish is only "tough" in the sense it's formulated to be somewhat abrasion resistant, but it's actually a softer finish than most lacquers. Pre- and post-cat lacquers are much more durable than poly--and that's what you'll find on commercially finished cabinetry most of the time. In fact, alkyd and the other kind of varnish are harder than poly. The notion that poly is the best thing since sliced bread is a total marketing myth!!!

That all said, John, it's not a good idea to put lacquer over poly...and no reason to do so. The solvents in the lacquer can damage the varnish. If you need to top-coat your poly...use more poly.

John Miliunas
11-20-2004, 11:09 PM
Polyurethane varnish is only "tough" in the sense it's formulated to be somewhat abrasion resistant, but it's actually a softer finish than most lacquers. Pre- and post-cat lacquers are much more durable than poly--and that's what you'll find on commercially finished cabinetry most of the time. In fact, alkyd and the other kind of varnish are harder than poly. The notion that poly is the best thing since sliced bread is a total marketing myth!!!

That all said, John, it's not a good idea to put lacquer over poly...and no reason to do so. The solvents in the lacquer can damage the varnish. If you need to top-coat your poly...use more poly.

That's what I kind of thought, Jim. Thanks! I'm helping a buddy of mine refinish an older solid body guitar and we just didn't quite like the way the poly looks on there. I figured that with lac, we could rub it out to get the look he was after. Guess we'll just stick with the poly and call it good. It's not going to be a "user" anyway, as he just wants to re-assemble it and hang it on the wall. Thanks again! :) :cool:

Steve Clardy
11-21-2004, 11:22 AM
Lacquer "burns in" when applied. Whether it be another coat of lacquer, or some other finish. Probably not a good idea.

nic obie
11-21-2004, 1:46 PM
Hi John,

Why don't you try rubbing out the poly?

Ted Harris
11-21-2004, 2:40 PM
OK, I looked on the can, but couldn't find an answer there. The question is: Can I safely squirt lacquer on top of poly? The poly is well cured and I was just planning on scuffing it up with some 320 or thereabouts and shooting some lacquer (out of a can). I know that lacquer can destroy some finishes, enamel for example, but I'm just not sure on the poly. Any idea if this is a safe process? :confused: :cool:
John,
Lacquer over poly not a good idea. Poly over lacquer okay.