PDA

View Full Version : How do you make your magnetic refrigerator note holder

Jack Gaskins
05-15-2010, 1:42 PM
I want to turn those little refrigerator note holders but cant figure out the best way to go about holding one on the lathe. Anyone make these that could share their procedure? Thanks.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-15-2010, 1:46 PM
Jack,

You could do it one of 2 ways:

1. Put a piece of hardwood in your chuck. Turn a flat surface on it and then use doubleside tape to tape the final piece you want to turn for the magnetic holder.

2. use a set of pin jaws on your chuck. Turn a tenon the piece of wood you want to turn for the magnetic holder. Put the tenon in the pin jaws. Turn the holder and then cut it away.

Jack Gaskins
05-15-2010, 4:04 PM
Jack,

You could do it one of 2 ways:

1. Put a piece of hardwood in your chuck. Turn a flat surface on it and then use doubleside tape to tape the final piece you want to turn for the magnetic holder.

2. use a set of pin jaws on your chuck. Turn a tenon the piece of wood you want to turn for the magnetic holder. Put the tenon in the pin jaws. Turn the holder and then cut it away.

Thanks for the info. I decided to go out to the lathe and stare at it until I could think of something. So, I had a small piece of round maple, stuck it is the scrollchuck drill a 7/32 hole in one end then put my PEN MANDREL in the spindle and screwed on my small piece of maple. I brought the tail stock up for a little support and I was able to turn a nice little frig magnet. One thing. I was wondering which size tools are good for small spindle turning. I have a set of mini tools but I guess I need a lot of practice with them as I found it difficult to make nice beads and coves.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-15-2010, 4:12 PM
Jack,

I have a set of small tools too and have the same difficulty. I primarily use my 3/8" spindle gouge and a 3/4" skew.