PDA

View Full Version : Working with Madrone?

Jan Bianchi
05-15-2010, 12:20 PM
I'm about to start a dining room table and chairs made out of madrone. The books say not to use twisty wood on table tops and madrone is notoriously twisty, as well as not "durable," which I understand to mean subject to shattering like glass. But I see madrone tables and chairs in galleries in the Pacific NW so it is being used this way. I've done a couple of small tables and had no trouble, but I haven't done anything with a large flat surface such as this. The wood I'm using has been air-dried for a year and then kiln-dried.

Does anyone whose has used madrone have any tips for keeping the table top flat? Anything else I should worry about? Also, is there a more appropriate forum for posting this?

Andy Sowers
05-15-2010, 5:32 PM
I stumbled upon some madrone here in San Jose several months back. It had some wonderful grain, but it was as you indicated very twisty and had a lot of checks/cracks in areas.

I got it to make some small boxes where i could minimize the waste by cutting it to length first before jointing/planing. Tearout while jointing was a problem for me. Seems the wacky grain along with the unforgiving nature of the wood was no match for my non-byrd jointer and planer...

I was able to mill it flat (but I lost a lot of thickness due to all the twist), and it stayed reasonably flat. But I couldn't imagine being able to find enough stock that was flat enough to make furniture. Even if you could, I would imagine there'd be a lot of waste.

It can be really pretty though!!! Good luck! Be sure to post your results here!

Andy

Will Overton
05-15-2010, 5:39 PM
Jan,

After reading your post I did a little Googling. The only large table I found was built with veneer. That might be a solution for you.

Jamie Buxton
05-15-2010, 6:49 PM
There's pics at the bottom of this thread of a desk I made from madrone. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=139925

I found some very pretty quarter- and rift-sawn lumber to use for most of the desk. For the desk surface itself, which is frame-and-panel, I used the rift lumber for the frame, and shop-sawn veneer on a plywood core for the panels. So far, it has held together just fine.

Madrone is a little softer than many other domestic hardwoods like maple and oak, so it dents a little more easily. That's not enough to rule out its use in tables, but probably enough to rule it out for floors.

Ryan Griffey
05-15-2010, 10:02 PM
I work with a lot of madrone. I cut it routinely on my Woodmizer. I stick with quarter and rift for large top glue ups. In fact my workbench top is built out of madrone. I built a shaker wine cabinet out of it last year without any plywood. If the wood is acclimated you shouldn't have any problems with it.

Tim Lawson
05-15-2010, 10:03 PM
I've several limbs from a Madrone drying in the shop but they've split wickedly - I'll use them as textural elements in a table in a couple of years.

Locally (Port Townsend, WA) you can get steamed madrone from Edensaw. The boards appear flat with no twist. The colour is evened out much like steamed beech.

Local wisdom has it that if madrone that has been dead on the stump (not felled) for 5 years it can be milled well. I'm hoping to test that.

Tim

david brum
05-16-2010, 1:25 AM
There is an article about working with madrone in FWW 200. You can see it on their site if you're a member.

I did a smallish madrone tabletop last year. It has stayed flat and looks beautiful. You have to remember that madrone will really move seasonally, so build accordingly. For instance, I that piece included breadboad ends which I planed flush in the shop. After about a week of being inside the house, the top shrunk probably 1/4" over 36", leaving protruding breadboard ends.

I think if you select properly dried wood and build for movement, you'll do great. The wood itself is a joy to work with. It planes really well and has a very pleasant, sweet aroma.

Jan Bianchi
05-16-2010, 12:01 PM
for your advice. Edensaw only sells boards that are 13/16 which is a little thin for this table top, but I could use it if all else fails. I wish I could persuade them to carry thicker stock, but I have a source for it in Seattle.

Thanks for the tips on seasonal movement. I'll work on that. It really is gorgeous wood. I'll post pictures when I'm done.

Brian Effinger
05-16-2010, 12:58 PM
Jan, you might want to PM Reed Gray also. He works with madrone a lot. While he is a turner, I believe he does make furniture as well.

Brian Tax
05-16-2010, 4:59 PM
If you don't mind sharing, where is your source for the Madrone? Is it a retail location?

Jan Bianchi
05-17-2010, 7:47 PM
Brian,

I didn't see this yesterday in time to respond. Donald Smith at CityTreesFurniture between Ballard and Fremont sells lumber that he has cut from local trees and dried as well as furniture. But don't buy him out. I haven't bought my stock yet.

Jan

Brian Tax
05-18-2010, 3:31 PM
Jan,

Thanks for the info, I talked to some one there a few years back, and they said that only sold furniture and not wood. Maybe now that business is slower they have changed their minds or maybe I talked to the wrong person. There business concept is pretty cool I think. I don't plan on buying any right now, but I want to try Madrone some day. Let us know how the piece turns out. I will keep that contact for the future.

Thanks, Brian