PDA

View Full Version : OPS Mini TAT

Craig Fyock
11-20-2004, 8:26 PM
If I can have a TAT anyone can. I have an Archery store and what started out as a friend and I getting together to turn a few, turned into a Mini TAT. Art Hendrix and I had planned to get together so he could see my new lathe (which is housed at my retail store). His wife Margie misunderstood (at least thats the story) and sent out invitations to our "Turn-A-Thon". We wound up with 5 experieenced turners and 2 first timers. We didn't get turning till around 11:30 and we were finished by 4:00. In that time we had 60 pens turned and a great time socializing.

I would like to thank the Addison WoodCraft store for donating 30 kits and paying to send all 60 pens in. They have been great and really supportive of the Freedom Pen Project.

The Hunt County Woodturners Club and Art Hendrix brought the other 30 kits. We had a wonderful day for turning and did so on the sidewalk in front of the store. So we got enjoy the out-of-doors while turning pens. Margie has been to tons of TAT and assembled 100's if not thousands of pens and todaywith the teaching of Bill Oliver turned her first pen and bagged it to be sent in. It was a great pen and even being her first she wanted to send it in......Oneof my longtime customers and friend Marty Chambers also made his first pen and sent it in too.....Way to go Margie & Marty !!!

For those reading this don't think because you dont own a wood working store that you cant have a TAT. Any one can. It's great just getting other woodturners or friends together and have your own TAT.

Thanks to all who attended the first and certainly not last OPS Mini TAT. I had a GREAT time....

The count for the day is:
Margie Hendrix 1
Marty Chambers 1
Bill Oliver 6
Dan Henry 10
Mallory Fyock (12 yo) 10
Craig Fyock 14
Art Hendrix 18

Total 60

:) I can post pictures on Monday if anyone is interested.

Art Hendrix
11-21-2004, 12:37 AM
We really enjoyed Craig's Mini-TAT today. He didn't explain that "OPS" stands for "Outdoor Pro Shop," which is the name of his archery store in Garland, Texas, on the east side of Dallas. Craig was a great host. We had 3 lathes set up outside the store and quite a few onlookers who all thought the Freedom Pen Project was a great idea.

One of the pleasures of the day was seeing Craig's 12-year-old daughter, Mallory, who is a good penturner. She stands on a pallet in order to be high enough to turn on the lathe. She can also assemble pens and prepare blanks as well as the rest of us. It's good to see young people who are interested in turning and who want to participate in the FPP.

Craig, we hope you will post some of the pictures taken today.

Art

Dick Parr
11-21-2004, 6:50 AM
Congratulations Craig on you mini. They are all fun, ;) especially when you get to share the fun with friends and meet new friends. Let's see those pictures. We love pictures. :D

Ken Salisbury
11-21-2004, 11:58 AM
Great Job ! !

Thanks !!!

The Texans Come Through Again

http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/misc/needsyou.jpg

Craig Fyock
11-22-2004, 2:48 PM
I'll try and post some pictures here but not sure if I know how. They can be seen at my website but not sure if I can post the address due to the TOS agreement. If any moderators can let me know I would appreciate it....Here goes nothin

Craig Fyock
11-22-2004, 10:19 PM
Sorry forgot to title the above
From top to bottom:
Art Hendrix
Mallory Fyock
Dan Henry

Pics in this post:
Bill Oliver
(L-R) Craig Fyock, Bill Oliver, Dan Henry & Art Hendrix (forground)
Margie Hendrix (Margies First Pen) with guidence of Bill Oliver
Margie Hendrix (and her first Pen) with Craig Fyock
Margie Hendrix (and her first Pen) with her instructor Bill Oliver

Aaron Koehl
11-23-2004, 3:10 PM
Craig,

Great work on the the TAT. I see the chips flyin'--get some shop glasses on that young'un!