PDA

View Full Version : Plywood glue block is a no no!

David Warkentin
05-15-2010, 10:24 AM
The top of my head where part of the platter I was working on hit me is proof enough!:eek:

Steve Schlumpf
05-15-2010, 10:40 AM
Wow - that's a lesson the hard way! How you were not hurt to bad!

Hope your experience serves as a lesson for your fellow turners! Thanks for sharing!

Lance kanaby
05-15-2010, 11:08 AM
I have used Baltic Birch Plywood for glue blocks for many years. I use Titebond 2 or 3 and stack 2 to 4 layers of 3/4" to make up my glue blocks. I have never had a problem with these. I have had problems with straight grain wood splitting. I would never use regular plywood as a glue block as there are voids that can come apart.

Bernie Weishapl
05-15-2010, 11:25 AM
Boy that was a lesson not soon forgot. I use a good hardwood block as any kind of plywood is not safe IMHO. I have seen birch and regular plywood glue blocks come apart.

Aaron Wingert
05-15-2010, 12:00 PM
Agreed, plywood isn't a safe glue block, at least not nearly as safe as a solid chunk of poplar or other hardwood. Plus, plywoods alternating grain orientation probably isn't a benefit when engaging turning tools.

Phil Thien
05-15-2010, 12:06 PM
I love the turning threads.

Most of them make me want to go out and buy a nice, variable speed lathe (don't have any lathe now).

Some of them make me think I should buy a suit of armor first.

Hope you're okay.

David Warkentin
05-15-2010, 1:56 PM
Or a hard hat! Yes I am fine. Bled a good bit right at first and now it is sore. Was using some china birch for the block. It is not as good as baltic birch. I will make my next one out of poplar or maple. Lesson learned!:DAll 3 of my chidren were out there with me but none were in the line of fire. David

Ken Fitzgerald
05-15-2010, 2:19 PM
I love the turning threads.

Most of them make me want to go out and buy a nice, variable speed lathe (don't have any lathe now).

Hope you're okay.

Phil,

Don't get chain mail armor.....get the solid stuff!:rolleyes:

Aaron Wingert
05-15-2010, 2:53 PM
Just when we get too comfy in front of the lathe it'll come back and bite you! I had a piece of cocobolo come apart on me two nights ago and took a nice big chunk of it in the face shield. Scared the bejeebers out of me, but I'm sure glad I wear more than just safety glasses.

Mark Hubl
05-15-2010, 4:33 PM
Glad that you were not hurt too badly! Good info.

Jeff Willard
05-15-2010, 6:31 PM

A hockey mask is usually sufficient.

Except when it isn't:eek:.

Go ahead, get the lathe-come over to the dark side. We have cookies.

Phil Thien
05-15-2010, 7:55 PM
A hockey mask is usually sufficient.

Except when it isn't:eek:.

Go ahead, get the lathe-come over to the dark side. We have cookies.

It just so happens that I'm working on a shop redo at this point and have several spots where I could install a lathe when I'm done.

:D

Reed Gray
05-15-2010, 9:38 PM
So David, which got the bigger dent, the platter, or your head? Glad you are okay.

Sorry, I couldn't resist, kind of like when women pick up my rolling pins and look at their husbands and I tell them they would just end up denting the rolling pin.

robo hippy

David Warkentin
05-16-2010, 12:12 AM
Ha ha. Bigger dent? I haven't found the chunk that broke off the platter. Haven't looked too hard but looked some and my shop really isn't that big of a mess! The main part flew about 18 feet or so. David

Jamie Straw
05-16-2010, 12:57 AM
Or a hard hat! Yes I am fine. Bled a good bit right at first and now it is sore. Was using some china birch for the block. It is not as good as baltic birch. I will make my next one out of poplar or maple. Lesson learned!:DAll 3 of my chidren were out there with me but none were in the line of fire. David

Ahhhh, geez, a hard hat atop a full-face shield. Just what the modern "mature" woman wants in her wardrobe. :D :D :D