PDA

View Full Version : My journey - #s 1-7

Cathy Schaewe
05-15-2010, 9:43 AM
Hi all - I've posted a few times here, but I think I'm brave enough to start looking for critiques and comments. I started turning at the end of February, and can't believe how addicting this is. I was downstairs turning last night at 1 am, and listening to the snores above me. And it's amazing how all of a sudden you "really, really need" some new tool. The significant other thinks I've gone crazy. But I'm not telling you guys anything ....:D

Anyway, I thought it would be helpful to my development to start posting some pieces and getting your thoughts on them, if you have time.

Here's bowls #1 & 2: I was very proud of myself! They're both scrap walnut I had left over from trim, that I just glued together and turned. #1 is 4 ½”+ wide at the top, bottom 2”, 1 ½” tall. #2 is about the same, but about 3" tall.

Karl Card
05-15-2010, 9:48 AM
good start in my opinion. I still consider myself new though..
I have boxes and boxes of cedar and I had quite a few pieces that were bottle topper blank size, I planed them and then glued them up for a bowl blank and it turned out really cool looking.

I am now thinking of glueing up some of my pen blanks and making a bowl blank out of it..

Cathy Schaewe
05-15-2010, 9:50 AM
In between 2 and 3, I went and spent the day with Bob Rosand. Wow, did I learn a lot! My head was spinning when I left. The problem, of course, is retaining it.

Here's #3, a piece of butternut.
6” wide, 1 ¾” tall, sides ~¼”.

Cathy Schaewe
05-15-2010, 9:55 AM
I felt like a took a step backward with #4. I didn't do a good job with the inlay, and the foot doesn't work at all - way too small, which makes it tippy. (I'm thinking that's why I didn't take a picture of it.) But there it is, for better or worse. At some point, if I'm really really bored :p, I'll rework it. It's also too light. Pic isn't great.

Cathy Schaewe
05-15-2010, 9:59 AM
Here's #5. This is cherry, four layers that were left over from some cabinet shelves, glued together. I tried coffee grounds to disguise the glue lines. Hadn't learned to make the groove deep enough, got frustrated, and didn't fill in the gaps properly either. Somebody told me the top is too wide - and now that I look at it, I see that. I was making it as a pencil holder, which I guess it will do. It's 4” wide at the top, bottom 2 ¼”, 4” tall.

Cathy Schaewe
05-15-2010, 10:04 AM
And #6 and 7. #6 is walnut and cherry, just to mix it up a little! I wanted to try a different shape. This is 7” wide, 1 ¾” tall.

With #7, I was back to the 3 layers of walnut. There was a small void at the top, which I filled with malachite, and then I thought the rest of it was too plain, so I put the ring in the bottom. Again, three pieces of leftover walnut trim glued together. 8 5/8” wide at top, 4” wide at bottom, 2” tall.

By this time, I'm starting to get a collection of wood from John Keeton's dealer ... oops, supplier .... so I'm getting antsy to do something that's not leftover trim!

Cathy Schaewe
05-15-2010, 10:09 AM
These were all done by mid-April. Then work (ugh, the real world) hit with a vengeance. And then it was time to start the garden. So at this point #8 is almost done with the finishing process, and #s 9 and 10 are underway. I'll post those when I take some pictures with the brand new photo tent that I just had to have!

Thanks for looking -

John Keeton
05-15-2010, 10:14 AM
Cathy, missing pics of 6 and 7, but WOW! The others look great. That first bowl is actually the one I like most - having the figured wood in the bottom, and the nice ogee form - really nice!

The butternut bowl is very well done. How did you like the butternut to turn? It is one of my favorites - easy to turn, and a beautiful color. Sometimes the end grain can be a little bad for tearout, and though I have not tried it, I think next time I will add a little thinned shellac before my finish cut.

Looks like you are really gaining ground here - hope the marriage stays together!!:D:D Ms. Keeton has hounded me badly to get a "redo" done on our back porch, so today is the day. Not much turning for me this weekend - pray for rain!!!

Just saw the edit for posting of the pics - again, nice work, particularly with #7 - nice form and I like the bottom.

Cathy Schaewe
05-15-2010, 10:16 AM
Hi John - you were looking while I was editing to add the pics. I love the butternut -turns just as smooth as can be. One of the pieces I'm working on now is butternut, with a great big knot and void. I have hopes for it ... just like with all of them, early in the process!

charlie knighton
05-15-2010, 10:17 AM
very nice, enjoy the learning curve you have made a good start, you might want to check out Bob's hook tool for xmas ornaments, also do search for golden triangle (which you seem to be naturally progressing with :D

David Warkentin
05-15-2010, 10:22 AM
They look good too me. Course I am a beginner too! David

Bernie Weishapl
05-15-2010, 10:23 AM
Those are really nice bowls Cathy. Yep my LOML thinks I am nuts especially after dropping $600 at Woodcraft. Oh well.

Steve Schlumpf
05-15-2010, 10:35 AM
Cathy - very nice work on everything - especially considering how long you have been turning!

I really like your first bowl - the different grain patterns work well together as does the ogee curve.

Keep up the good work!

I would like to suggest that for your future posts - post only one or two turnings per thread. That way you can get some feedback regarding those particular turnings. When you have a lot of turnings to choose from in one post - you usually will not get any specific comments.

Dennis Ford
05-15-2010, 4:46 PM
Cathy;
You are doing great! You should try some green wood, it cuts really nice and it is usually free.

Mark Hubl
05-15-2010, 4:54 PM
Welcome to the vortex. The turnings look great, you are well on your way.:D

David E Keller
05-15-2010, 5:20 PM
You're off to a great start, Cathy. Looks like you are experimenting with forms and embellishments to see what you like. Thanks for posting the photos... I'm looking forward to seeing your future turnings.

Richard Madison
05-15-2010, 7:27 PM
Nice work Cathy. When starting out we often tend to be "wall thickness challenged" (too durn thick), and you have already passed that stage with flying colors.

Curt Fuller
05-15-2010, 10:36 PM
Beautiful work Cathy.

Paul Gallian
05-15-2010, 11:15 PM
many like thick walled bowl! Many factors determine if a think wall is appropriate (a few are - form, style, wood type) but most important is what YOU like -- thin is not a real sign of skill even if some say it is. A large oak dough bowl would look stupid with 1/4 inch thick walls. What would the craft/art world be if we all copied one master.

I really like your work! -- you look very much like you are having fun!!

paul

Matt Ranum
05-16-2010, 9:14 AM
Ain't nothing wrong with those! Nice work!

Cathy Schaewe
05-17-2010, 9:12 PM
All -thanks for the positive comments. I really didn't want to hog the forum by posting these first ones separately, but in the future I'll post them separately so you guys can tell me what's wrong with them! Seriously, all the experience here is really helpful to novices like me.

A few individual responses -

very nice, enjoy the learning curve you have made a good start, you might want to check out Bob's hook tool for xmas ornaments, also do search for golden triangle (which you seem to be naturally progressing with :D

Charlie - Bob made one of his classic ornaments for me - it took him about 20 minutes. It was amazing. I did come home with one of his little round skews, and I really like the tool. I'm not into HF's yet, but I'm getting there!

Cathy;
You are doing great! You should try some green wood, it cuts really nice and it is usually free.

Dennis - I have rough-turned some green wood, and am experimenting with drying it. Although turning green wood is lots of fun, there's certainly some delayed gratification involved!

many like thick walled bowl! Many factors determine if a think wall is appropriate (a few are - form, style, wood type) but most important is what YOU like -- thin is not a real sign of skill even if some say it is. A large oak dough bowl would look stupid with 1/4 inch thick walls. What would the craft/art world be if we all copied one master.

Paul - you are absolutely right! For me, turning a thick walled bowl is hard! One of the next ones I'll post is a little thicker. I've been frustrated with not having enough "heft" to some things, and I'm working on it.

Cathy

Bill Wyko
05-17-2010, 9:55 PM
Very nice shapes and well done on the wall thickness as well. I can tell we'll be seeing more of you. Keep up the good work.

Baxter Smith
05-17-2010, 11:10 PM
They all look good but I liked the first one a lot for its shape and color of the contrasting woods.