PDA

View Full Version : Tool Gloat

cameron bailey
05-15-2010, 7:22 AM
I have been debating on a drum sander or a small wide belt sander. But for the size of my shop and power I chose the drum sander. I just did not want the lines left from the drum sander so I have been looking for a used jet 22-44 OSCILLATING drum Sander. I could not find anyone selling them used so I bit the bullet and bought a new one. I now know why I could not find a used one. It arrived today I got it all set up and pulled out my first end grain cutting board that had bad swirl marks from my ro sander from pushing to hard trying to get the lines out from a wide belt. I run it trough the drum sander using the only paper that I had on hand, 80 grit and 180 grit. I ran it first with it in standard mode first and had the normal drum sander lines all over the end grain. Then I turned on the oscillating and wow the lines are gone. It does work like the say. I am going to get all the grits this weekend for it so I can work up trough them and see the outcome but I am very happy with and wish I would of bought it sooner. I did try to burn the wood by taking deep cuts but the smart sand system worked great and slowed the feed rate right down and keep going with no burns or snipe. :D

Mitchell Andrus
05-15-2010, 7:57 AM
You'll wonder how you got along without it. 'member, light passes.