PDA

View Full Version : SawStop owners:think this would work for a ZC insert??

Brian Penning
05-15-2010, 5:59 AM
Buy a new dado insert plate and use it to make a real zero clearance insert?

johnny means
05-15-2010, 8:00 AM
Buy a new dado insert plate and use it to make a real zero clearance insert?

Just buy a real zero clearance insert.

Brian Penning
05-15-2010, 8:32 AM
Just buy a real zero clearance insert.

Well the problem with a standard replacement insert is it comes with the pre-formed clearance slots for SawStop blade guard and riving knife. I don't use the blade guard and plus I thought the standard insert comes with the slot for the blade itself as it did when I received my ICS.

The dado insert comes like this...
http://www.sawstop.com/images/acc_insert.jpg

Jim O'Dell
05-15-2010, 9:59 AM
Brian, that should work just fine. But I'm thinking Johnny's idea about a ZCI purchased would look just like that. At least I'm thinking an after market one would. Saw Stops are likely the only ones that have the other provisions you speak of. Or get a sheet of Baltic Birch, phenolic or phenolic covered ply, or even plain MDF and make your own. Jim.

johnny means
05-15-2010, 1:30 PM
The Sawstop ZCI will not come with a precut kerf. It will however come with an opening for your riving knife as well as metal plate to protect the insert from your anti kickback pawls.

Will Overton
05-15-2010, 1:42 PM
From pictures it looks like the bottom of the zci is hollowed out to allow it to sit in place on top of a 10" blade. The dado insert is most likely flat on the bottom since it is designed for use with 8" blades.

Not a real problem, but could be inconvenient when cutting the kerf into it.

mreza Salav
05-15-2010, 3:32 PM
I made my own ZCI from 1/2" (or 3/8" forgot) MDF. Works fine

The Sawstop ZCI will not come with a precut kerf. It will however come with an opening for your riving knife as well as metal plate to protect the insert from your anti kickback pawls.

It is true that it doesn't have the blade kerf cut but the cut at the back is NOT for riving knife! I learned it the hard way; if you don't remove the riving knife it will hit the blade and bingo a brake trip!
That little kerf at the back is to let the blade gaurd (with pawls) installed, but not the riving knife.

Peter Aeschliman
05-15-2010, 6:30 PM
The ZCI that came with my PCS had a slot for the saw blade and a slot for the riving knife. Mreza, I'm confused by your experience- I can use the riving knife just fine with my sawstop ZCI.

The Dado ZCI comes with no holes whatsoever. So it would be easy to make your own insert for your dado set. The only tricky thing is putting flanged screws on the underside of the insert so that it slides under the catches that keep the insert from rising up.

mreza Salav
05-16-2010, 12:52 AM
The ZCI that came with my PCS had a slot for the saw blade and a slot for the riving knife. Mreza, I'm confused by your experience- I can use the riving knife just fine with my sawstop ZCI.

Did you buy a new ZCI or you are talking about the one that came with the saw?
I purchased an extra ZCI and there was no kerf cut in it, just a small cut in the back that would allow the blade guard assembly and clearly it was not enough to let the riving knife go through. I learned it the hard way (riving knife was pushed into the blade once it couldn't go through and the brake tripped).
If you get a new ZCI now they have added a note that clearly states to removed the riving knife before cutting the blade kerf.

Will Overton
05-16-2010, 7:16 AM
If you get a new ZCI now they have added a note that clearly states to removed the riving knife before cutting the blade kerf.

That seems obvious since the riving knife curves over the back of the blade, the blade would need to first clear the way for it. If the knife was installed with no slot above it, it has no place to go.

Kevin Groenke
05-16-2010, 10:35 AM
That seems obvious since the riving knife curves over the back of the blade, the blade would need to first clear the way for it. If the knife was installed with no slot above it, it has no place to go.
Yes, it's obvious as along as you think about, but it's surprisingly easy to miss.

I and many others have neglected to remove the knife when making an "inverted plunge cut". The result is usually pushing the knife into the spinning blade causing the brake to trigger. Reminders are always helpful, the more times folks hear it the less likely they are to forget about it.

Maybe if the knife were insulated or non-conductive but then you've got strength issues.

-kg

Peter Aeschliman
05-16-2010, 11:51 AM
Did you buy a new ZCI or you are talking about the one that came with the saw?
I purchased an extra ZCI and there was no kerf cut in it, just a small cut in the back that would allow the blade guard assembly and clearly it was not enough to let the riving knife go through. I learned it the hard way (riving knife was pushed into the blade once it couldn't go through and the brake tripped).

Ah, got it. Yeah, I was talking about the ZCI that came with my saw.

Roger Jensen
05-16-2010, 12:24 PM
I wish they would make it easy and just sell the model that comes with the saw. I don't understand the two different versions (one pre-cut, one not). I suspect most folks would take the precut one and not deal with it, but perhaps some users want the minimum slot possible.

I'm lazy enough to take the model that comes with the saw.

Roger

Alan Schwabacher
05-16-2010, 2:28 PM
The reason for the pre-cut one is to allow you to tilt the blade. If you use the dado insert and raise a blade through it, it will work fine for the angle you had the blade while you raised it, but you will damage the blade if you forget and tilt the blade with that insert in place. The standard ones not only have a gap for the guard, but also space underneath to allow blade tilt.

Kevin Groenke
05-17-2010, 7:32 PM
We use the tablesaw to make quite a bit of scale lumber and other small parts, so I made ZCIs that have a replaceable dovetailed insert. I used some HDPE for the throat plate just because it was around - it could be more rigid, (solid surface would be great, maybe once we get our cnc we'll try that). We just cut strips of the insert stock and have it on hand: when one gets chewed up or we cut a bevel or we switch blades - we can just slide in a new insert instead of having to make a completely new throatplate. The bottom of the throatplate is contoured to allow the blade to bevel throughout it's entire range. Obviously, the riving knife is removed to use this insert: we use this only for small stock and the absence of the knife is usually not problematic.

David Giles
05-17-2010, 10:23 PM
One easy way to make a ZCI for the Sawstop using the existing plates. The first is to glue a thin piece of veneer over the existing plate and cut out holes for the leveling screws and riving blade with a sharp knife. When the 1/32" thick veneer gets eat up, peel it off and glue down another piece.

Another option (that I haven't tried yet) is to lay the existing plate upside down on wax paper and fill the void with epoxy. Sand the top smooth and call it a ZCI.