PDA

View Full Version : Bradford Pear

Tim Hughes37
05-14-2010, 9:53 PM
I had a buddy lose a pear tree in his yard night before last. Has anyone turned pear and what's it like? thanks for any and all info.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-14-2010, 9:56 PM
Tim,

I was gifted with some bradford pear 3 years ago in Houston.

It turns great and looks beatiful.

Mike Peace
05-14-2010, 10:14 PM
I have turned lots of Bradford Pear bowls and platters and smaller items. It turns wonderfully and has a tight grain. It drys well with little cracking. It tends to have almost no character in terms of grain and spalting compared to say cherry or maple. I generally use Antique oil finish and my projects generally have a pale to medium orange color. I use a Sorby texturing and spiraling tool to add some embellishment for bowls and platters.

alex carey
05-14-2010, 10:22 PM
i had a lot of trouble with it cracking but it was definitely nice to look at.

Dale Miner
05-14-2010, 10:59 PM
I've turned a fair amount of pear.

Like others have said, it turns very well little tear out, little character in the grain, and takes details well. The color will darken with exposure to light, but not to the extent that cherry will. It is a suprisingly hard wood.

The sap in pear contains substances that will oxidize and turn noticeably darker in areas where the wood has been bruised. If doing a once turned item, any heel bruises will become unsightly. The oxidation from the bruises is fairly deep, and difficult to sand out. Also, oxidation will enter from the cut ends of the log. Anchorseal does not seem to stop the end grain oxidation completly, but may slow it some. If it has been a while since the log was cut, I usually remove several inches to get rid of the end grain oxidation. As with most woods, it is best to turn as soon as possible after cutting.

I like to turn once turned bowls from Bradford pear and let them warp. Good tool work with a double bevel gouge on the inside is needed to reduce the bruising.

To me, the wood has an understated elegance with the earthtone color and absence of eye popping grain.

Dryed pear can be hand chased (threaded) with sharp tools.

Later,
Dale M

David E Keller
05-14-2010, 11:07 PM
It's one of my favorite woods to turn. I agree with the description "understated elegance". While I like the look of finished pieces, I really enjoy turning it... I mean the actual act of turning it. It cuts like butter when it's wet.

Bill Bulloch
05-15-2010, 6:48 AM
I agree with most of the post here; it's one of my favorite turning woods. It is the only wood that has went through my Small Bowl Kiln without ANY warping or cracking at all. The only problem I have with it is: I am about out of it.

Thomas Canfield
05-15-2010, 8:46 PM
Tim,

I would get all I could and seal it ASAP. I have had best luck cutting out the pith for bowl blanks and doing a rough turn to 10% thickness. There will be warpage and splits can develop if the pith is left in place. I have had success with leaving the bark on and doing natural edge bowls. We currently have some in the kitchen that were turned green and finished with Mahoney Walnut Oil finish and are used for salads. It does take a high gloss finish when dry and then I use tripoli buff & multiple coats of poly/oil mix followed by Renansiance Wax. Great free wood when you can find it especially in the larger diameter.

Edward Bartimmo
05-16-2010, 1:07 AM
Tim,

It's fruitwood so it will crack quite a bit in the hot Texas sun. Cut out the pith and, anchor seal or be prepared to turn it soon.

It is easy to turn and it has some great wood colors and grain is smooth and even.

Scott Lux
05-16-2010, 9:41 AM
the wood has an understated elegance

Perfect description of it. And it turns wonderfully.