PDA

View Full Version : Help ID my first nibed hand saw.

Adam Woznicki
05-14-2010, 7:07 PM
I picked this saw up today at an estate sale for $1.50. It's pitted, bowed(but not kinked) and missing an original bolt (medallion?).

I usually pass on saws that are pitted, but its the first nib I've seen in the wild, so I bought it.

This may not be the original handle judging by how much the slot in the handle extends past the blade.
It's 7 tpi

Nothing on the Disston site looks like it.
So what and when is it?

Jonathan McCullough
05-14-2010, 9:25 PM
Could be this one maybe. I think Wheeler, Madden & Clemson may have had one with one of those sort of funny metal escutcheons (?).

Adam Woznicki
05-14-2010, 10:39 PM
I don't know why i didn't notice this before, but the top of the grip does not line up with the top of the saw blade. So this is definitely not the original handle.

Any chance someone could still ID the blade?

Jonathan McCullough
05-14-2010, 10:57 PM
There's a section on the vintage saws site that shows how to clean the saw so that you can see the etching. If you use some mineral spirits and a razor scraper, you'll probably take enough tar/pitch/oxidation so that you can see the etch. Just be careful not to use something like steel wool or sandpaper with finger pressure, which will ride into the "groove" of the etching and make it harder to make out. Even if it's an off brand or something indeterminate, don't let that stop you from enjoying the saw. I favor that general shape, and like the natty curve at the heel between the handle and the teeth. Who knows? You may have a No. 12 or a premium Simonds with a replacement handle.

Jim Koepke
05-15-2010, 1:01 AM
I don't know why i didn't notice this before, but the top of the grip does not line up with the top of the saw blade.

I have seen quite a few saws like that. I do not think all makers felt it was a necessary feature.

It does not look like one made by Mr. Warren Theodore Superior. :cool:

jim

David Gendron
05-15-2010, 1:34 AM
A nice saw for a buck fifty!!