PDA

View Full Version : Modern Woodworking

Steve Cox
11-20-2004, 5:24 PM
What is my woodworking coming too? As I am finishing up remodeling the shop and upgrading various systems, guess what has become the most numerous item in my shop apron? REMOTE CONTROLS!!!!!!!:p I currently am carrying three, cyclone, air filter, and stereo. Thankfully they are all small. While I could get away without the stereo the others are needed as my cyclone is in a closet and my air filter is too high for me to reach it. I'm not complaining as they make my life easier but I thought it was funny enough to share.

Jim Becker
11-20-2004, 5:37 PM
LOL! Very good point. I only have two remotes in the shop now...the stereo and the A/C. I bagged using remotes for my DC and installed a single, centrally-located switch, since I usually turn it on and leave it on for periods of time when I am moving from machine to machine. But even when I used remote control for the DC, I had multiple transmitters and had them affixed to workstations, rather than carrying them around. In that manner, they stopped migrating to the house. :D

Dave Bartley
11-20-2004, 9:06 PM
I still use the old fashion remote. The batteries never run down and even when there is no power the shop door will still go up when needed. Just a hug and a Thank You is all it takes to make it work.

Love My Grandkids!! ;)

Steve Cox
11-20-2004, 9:25 PM
I have a 14 mo and a 3 mo in the house. Besides severly curtailing my woodworking they won't work as remotes yet so I need electric help:o

Frank Pellow
11-21-2004, 6:23 AM
I dislike remotes and, so far, have no plans for any such thing in my workshop. I certainly don't need another thing to lose. We do have a couple of remotes in the house but my wife uses those about 95% of the time.

Kirk (KC) Constable
11-21-2004, 7:42 AM
Only thing a remote control is good for is entertainment center stuff, IMO. House I'm building cabinets for (almost finsihed!) has remote controls for the cieling fans and lights. Frustrates the hell outta me to turn the switch on and then have to go find the unfamiliar remote control in the dark and figure out how to make the light come on. My latest window unit has some features that don't have 'manual buttons...gotta use the remote to use them. I don't like progress.

KC

Steve Cox
11-21-2004, 10:52 AM
I absolutely hate remotes in the house because of their propensity to get lost, especially with a very curious 14mo running around;) . In my shop it is a different story. A well organized apron does wonders for efficiency. I just found some empty pockets and holders for the remotes and they stay in there along with my squares, pencils, rulers, tape, etc. If I misplace the apron I'm in trouble but as long as I have it on I can find everything in the dark.