PDA

View Full Version : A little prototype

Mark Hubl
05-14-2010, 4:16 PM
This is a small hollow form done in red oak. Ebonized with India ink. Just a small concept piece. I like the look and am thinking of doing this in an exotic. Thinking cocobolo since it buffs so well. Any thoughts?

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1439/4606742359_656b89e499_o.jpg

CW McClellan
05-14-2010, 4:46 PM
Cocobola if ya don't cut the log & lat lines in it
woods to pretty as it is to cut it up my 1cents worth :eek:

I would have gave ya my 2 cents worth
But it's onyl a penny fer ya thoughts
What happens to the other 1 cents then :D

John Keeton
05-14-2010, 4:52 PM
Mark, when I opened this thread, I dove for the foxhole!! Thought it was a grenade!!:D

I like the overall form, but I would have to say that the horizontal lines take away from the piece for me - others may differ. But, that is what prototypes are for!

Jon Lanier
05-14-2010, 5:31 PM
I with John. Don't know your process, but if you "S" curve the vertical lines at an angle... that would look cool.

Bernie Weishapl
05-14-2010, 5:46 PM
Mark that is one pretty piece. Really nice form.

Mark Burge
05-14-2010, 7:01 PM
Mark: I like the form too. I think the lines make it look a lot like a globe. IMHO it would be better used on a larger piece that would give more wood to look at between the lines. I might also consider something else on the top. The way the longitude lines run up into the carved opening doesn't work for me. Maybe a finial or a bead around the neck? Great concept though can't wait to see more.

David E Keller
05-14-2010, 11:36 PM
I like it. I might consider using a fairly plain wood like pear for the piece. I think the cocobolo might be too busy for all the added detail.

Lots of possibilities with this idea. You could texture some of the sections while leaving others alone. As someone else mentioned, you could use curved lines to divide the form. You could also limit the textured area to a band that encircles or wraps the form. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

Frank Van Atta
05-15-2010, 12:55 AM
Great idea. But I wouldn't do it in Cocobolo or any other highly figured wood - then you'd have your pattern fighting with the grain for attention.

Steve Schlumpf
05-15-2010, 10:22 AM
Mark - very interesting idea! However, I am a little conflicted with the straight lines but that can be a good thing when trying to create something that is a break from the norm.

The one struggle I personally have had with hollow forms is maintaining the flow of the exterior curve. With the lines oriented in a grid pattern such as this - it breaks the curve up into small squares and actually fights with the form for attention. Once again - if it is visual conflict you are trying to create - this works and works well.

As this is a prototype - I looks forward to seeing where it leads you.

Have fun with it!

Mark Hubl
05-15-2010, 4:30 PM
Thanks for the input folks. I knew the "grid" would raise some controversy. Not a form I would typically like either. I like a more organic look as well. That said, I am going for a more "technical" look. Definitely needs some refinement.

Mark, I agree on the top. A little too busy, I think a beaded collar would be a good idea.

John, I thought grenade as well!

Thom Sturgill
05-16-2010, 11:39 AM
Grenade it is! I do like the detail at the opening. If you want to spiral the lines, draw a grid much like what you did then carve corner to corner. Without the 'lat' lines the object would have looked somewhat organic.

I also agree with the comment about cocobolo - don't use a busy wood if you are going to do this much surface embellishment. Use the coco where you have plain lines and the grain adds interest, not where it competes. Look at my avatar picture. That piece 'works' (or so I've been told) because the strong straight grain emphasizes the curvature of the bowl. Neither a plain wood nor a wild grained one would have worked as well.

Curt Fuller
05-16-2010, 10:36 PM
You're doing some pretty amazing things lately, and very interesting. I really like seeing your work!

Karl Card
05-17-2010, 1:39 AM
not a conniseur here but I am wondering why you would want to darken a light wood, but you have to understand that I really like red oaks color..

I am wondering how the piece would look with the same lines there but maybe not as many, you know maybe further apart.. just a thought..

I am also wondering how that same piece would look done in ebony or african blackwood??!!! The african blackwood sands so smooth and not having the grain activity might make the design a little "less busy"..

I gotta say tho that you do have a good imagination...

Mark Hubl
05-17-2010, 4:11 PM
Karl,

Thanks for the input. I ebonized this piece just to get an idea how the form would look. I find that when you blacken the wood you can study the forms shape a little better. This piece isn't really a keeper. I like the idea of ebony or blackwood. I haven't turned ebony but I have turned blackwood. I will have to see if the local WC has a nice chunk.